? What Jazz Music Selection are you Listening to in the Now? | Analog, Digital ??????

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
This is incredible also from MK
Piano and basso are in your room with incredible dynamic
Price is not high like Flamenco fever

IMG_1683.jpg IMG_1684.jpg

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
atmlp3106-45le_m.jpg

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Here's a beautiful and unusual album by Brad Mehldau. I've seen him live several times in concert but I didn't know he had classical chops. In this album he performs classical Bach pieces from The Well-Tempered Clavier and follows each with a jazz improvisation of the same. It's a superb piano recording as well.

71gxETjInKL._SX425_.jpg

71KkhTXxfKL._SX425_.jpg

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
And for something a little bit more up to date,
E2EABD0F-C6E7-4DAF-B774-601528C576C2.jpeg 86748223-0E57-45EA-893F-EED9869AC1E8.jpg

Both getting some airplay via Tidal.
Also, check out the new British jazz scene, according to Spotify, jazz streams have increased 180% with the younger crowd.

Happy listening.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Redbook

APP

Oct 1, 2014
https://www.soundliaison.com/

Highly recommended chamber jazz. And recorded by Sound Liaison, so superb SQ.
I had been toying with the idea for a long time. I wanted to create a recording showing that the vibes can have a big warm sound and that it is possible to play 'beautiful music' on the instrument. The vibes is an instrument which lends itself for virtuoso music. Examples enough, Lionel Hampton, Terry Gibbs...but how about the melancholy side of the instrument, has that ever been fully explored?

A chamber ensemble seemed to me to be the best setting for realizing the sound I had in mind. I contacted master pianist Rob van Kreeveld and long time friend and superb bassist Edwin Corzilius to help me with the project. It turned out to be a dream team. The music came to us so easily. The ballads and waltzes turned out exactly as how I had pictured it; warm and relaxed, keeping the song central.
As a musician one always has wishes. One hopes to get to play in certain places, or play with one’s musical heroes... I have been most fortunate in my career, as many of the things I wished for when I was young, actually did happen. And now this new "mature" wish has been made possible by Peter Bjørnild and Frans de Rond, two producers with an incredible big hart for music and sound.

Thank you Rob, Edwin, Peter and Frans, I am so very happy with the result, I believe we have created some beautiful music.

Frits Landesbergen

Chicago

Feb 9, 2019
Windy City
Only two of us have left... but 'We Are On The Edge'. New album from Art Ensemble Of Chicago - A 50th Anniversary Celebration.
Roscoe Mitchell and Famoudou Don Moye - last two originals members of this famous group together with a new fresh faces of the band recorded fantastic and uncompromising album celebrating 50th Anniversary. Album is dedicated to Lester Bowie, Joseph Jarman and Malachi Favors.

The Art Ensemble of Chicago has been at the forefront of creative improvised music since 1969, and has long served as the flagship ensemble of the Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians (AACM), the august Chicago-based organization that also fostered the careers of members such as Muhal Richard Abrams, Anthony Braxton, Henry Threadgill, and Wadada Leo Smith, among many others. The greatness of the Art Ensemble has always been the shared commitment of its original members – Roscoe Mitchell, Lester Bowie, Joseph Jarman, Malachi Favors, and Famoudou Don Moye – to the total realm of African diasporic music: what they have long-termed “Great Black Music—Ancient to the Future.” Also important are the group’s disparate musical and artistic personalities, comprised of jazz, advanced compositional techniques, theatrical performance, poetry, Pan-African percussion, all tied together with improvisational flair and the exploration of pure sound.

Comprised of two discs: a meticulous studio session and the capture of a rousing live set at Edgefest in Ann Arbor, MI, We are on the Edge: A 50th Anniversary Celebration is exactly that, a commemoration of a half-century of magical music making. Not content to rest on their laurels, surviving members Mitchell and Moye have recruited a diverse group of fifteen highly-individual talents who bring their own approaches to the Art Ensemble aesthetic. Together, these virtuoso musicians honor the group’s history and help advance the legacy of Lester Bowie, Malachi Favors, and the recently departed Joseph Jarman. With clear intent towards representation, the group’s engagement of musicians such as Nicole Mitchell, Tomeka Reid, Moor Mother (Camae Ayewa), Christina Wheeler, Silvia Bolognesi and Jean Cook – women who are without peer as improvisers and performers – help bring a new perspective to the music. The sheer breadth of the ensemble’s collective expression is staggering, and it serves as a clarion declaration that Mitchell and Moye are intent on carrying forth the powerful ethos of the Art Ensemble forcefully into its sixth decade. As Moor Mother declares: “We are on the edge!”

Reactions: Sunra and NorthStar

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing