'Tomorrowland': First Movie Presented in High Dynamic Range (HDR)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

? This is the first film to be released in High Dynamic Range (HDR). ...Tomorrow, to a selected theater near you, in the USA.

Last edited by a moderator:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Bob. This looks good! Had not heard about it being released in HDR.

For those who don't know what HDR is, the current issue of Widescreen Review Magazine should have an extensive write up I did there to explain this and other next generation video technologies. In a nutshell, the current dynamic range of movies is very low compared to what we can get in photography and for that matter, what existed in film. You can't for example have bright skies and details in the foreground. Would be interesting to see if this movie has true dynamic range or fake (i.e. just the contrast artificially increased). Who is going to see the movie and report back? :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So these are the HDR theaters:

El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood, CA

And three AMC Premium theaters:
Prime auditoriums at the AMC BarryWoods 24 in Kansas City, MO
AMC Deerbrook 24 in Houston, TX
AMC North Point Mall 12 in Atlanta, GA.

So if you live in those areas those are the theaters to go and see. They have the new laser projectors from Christie and Atmos sound.

etunes

Jan 8, 2012
Virginia Beach

So if you live in those areas those are the theaters to go and see. They have the new laser projectors from Christie and Atmos sound.

Anything in London?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Not that I can find. Here is the more extended list:

El Capitan in Hollywood, CA
AMC Burbank 16 in Burbank, CA
AMC BarryWoods 24 in Kansas City, MO
AMC North Point 12 in Atlanta, GA.
AMC Empire 25, NYC
AMC Century City 15, Los Angeles
AMC Town Center 20, Kansas City
AMC Willowbrook 24, Houston TX

It requires about a $2M investment and so far I can only find the AMC theater chain in US trying to go after that premium presentation/market.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Anything in London?

Amir was right with those four spots enumerated just above in his first quote. ...Just those four are so equipped @ this present moment.
People in London (UK), Montreal (Canada), Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), Tokyo (Japan), and other parts of the world ... I don't think they have such luck right now.
Eventually HDR will expand. ...And perhaps it will come even here where I live, Vancouver Island...Victoria shantytown. :b

I'd like to see it too, in HDR. ...But I would have to fly to Hollywood, California. ...Expensive just to see 'Tomorrowland' in HDR.

? 'Tomorrowland' in HDR (Dolby Cinema): the BEST Picture @ the Theater

_______

* www.soundandvision.com/content/dolby-cinema-goes-prime
* www.slashfilm.com/dolby-cinema

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Not looking good then as far as AMC having them. I suspect if the reviews are positive, there will be more expansion.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Checked the AMC closest me (near toronto) and they have no listing of HDR ... rather it's being shown in IMAX.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Oh, IMAX also has plans to add HDR so that may be another way to experience it in the future.

Meanwhile, I found the first theater outside the US with Dolby Vision: the cinema complex of JT Eindhoven, Netherlands. So a short trip from London :).

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
And more from AMC:

By mid-May 2015, AMC expects to have fully installed Dolby Cinema at AMC Prime in up to four AMC locations in major cities across the United States. AMC intends to expand to 50 operating Dolby Cinema at AMC Prime locations by December 2018 in additional cities, including San Francisco, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, Miami, Boston, Denver, and Seattle, and up to 100 Dolby Cinema at AMC Prime locations by December 2024.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Bob, I modified the title to include HDR information we are posting. I will also move it at some point to the movie section.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob, I modified the title to include HDR information we are posting. I will also move it at some point to the movie section.

Thx Amir; I thought of that too yesterday, but did not bother asking for a change. ...You've read my mind. :b

* When I first posted it, I wanted to simply post the youtube video trailer.
...Then I added HDR as this was the first movie to be projected in Dolby Cinema, right the next day, which is today...May 22, 2015.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is a historic moment for video so wanted to make sure the record is captured :). Thanks for bringing to us Bob.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Well, I asked my significant-other if she wanted to see this movie in HDR (I emphasized HDR like a nerd in heat) and yet, all she kept hearing was "let's see Pitch Perfect 2".

Great, thanks a lot guys!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing