What to do with my dads old books.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
My dad passed away many years ago but when my mom passed two years ago I acquired my dads old Text/Electrical Engineering books.

These are nice high quality books from the 50's and I hate like hell to toss them or even donate them and have them toss them.

The information in them just makes my head hurt, so I have no use for them.

Interesting I did find some evidence the he worked with Page Burr and Thomas Brown of Burr Brown directly back in the day, I will be keeping that information :D

My dad did build some TSS (Top Secret Stuff) back in the day. He was instrumental in the development of the AWACS project and on occasions would be flown out to aircraft carriers to make repairs, cool stuff when your a kid.

Any how I would like to find a home for these books, seems like a waste to toss them.

Does anybody have any ideas, books clubs are not interested in them in any way.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Don't libraries accept them? I still have my college textbooks from 1980s collecting dust. Here is the remarkable part: i open to a page, see my notes beside some text and I have no idea what I wrote means! Proof that stuff gets drilled into your head, you memorize them, just to pass the darn exam and class.

As a side note, when we built our house we put in all these bookshelves. Now I buy most books in electronic form and wonder what the heck I will do with the bookshelves longer term!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Unfortunately no they don't, they are too old. Besides its all core math now, you know like, Johnny has 10 apples and Suzy has 12 oranges. What color was Greg's car?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
:)

Have you done a search on ebay for any of them? If they are from 1950s, they may very well have antique value depending on subject matter. I did a search and there is fair bit advertised: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...950+textbook.TRS0&_nkw=1950+textbook&_sacat=0

If you are not into ebay (I am not either), get someone who is and tell them if they sell and ship them, they can keep half.

Just thinking outloud :).

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I have tried donating old books and vintage text books to libraries.

They flat out don't want them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing