Golden Gate DAC arrives.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Essentially yes, they simply convert AC to DC, but different rectifiers will provide different plate voltages to the signal tubes. Changing these voltages can have dramatic effects on the sound. In the most basic sense, these guys are playing with distortion. Distortion can be absolutely pleasing to the ear, so don't take that as a bad thing...

The problem here though, is that what tubes you prefer will be system/taste dependent for sure. So it is best to do your own experimenting for the most part.

Interesting point and not entirely surprising. I wonder if Lucas can recommend (or someone else who actually knows this stuff...I don't) what rectifier to match with what output tubes based on such specs....

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
But I am curious as to why that should be so if all they do is to convert AC to DC voltage

The main reason is voltage drop. plus some are DH and others indirectly heated. I posted the link to Sound of the rectifier elsewhere.

The EML 5u4g is supposed to be a lot better than the eml 274b.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Interesting point and not entirely surprising. I wonder if Lucas can recommend (or someone else who actually knows this stuff...I don't) what rectifier to match with what output tubes based on such specs....

All this has been posted eons ago at the AudioCircle forum, Lampi circle.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I'd start with what comes with the DAC. Those should be the best new production. Then it is simply playing around with what is ok to roll in there.
Been done months ago....no need to reinvent the wheel. Only caveat is the GG seems to be a bit different to the B7 and so some small revision can be expected. Most of the GG tube rolliing discussions have occured at Audioshark forum, with Mike being very vocal about what works with his GG. Bruce and Joe have B7's but are pals with Andy who has both and he has given them great feedback offline. Andy does not post on forums.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Rectifer tube rolls make a huge difference for phono stage power supplies...ergo Direct Heated Triode phono stages. I bet they would make a difference for this DAC

Rockit, my speaker manufacturer showed with an Allnic all-DHT system at Axpona in Chicago and was very impressed.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
based on specs or end user experiences? Just curious....

Always experience. Specs are only good to tell if the tube will work at all. If you had read the forums, you would not ask this question.

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Always experience. Specs are only good to tell if the tube will work at all. If you had read the forums, you would not ask this question.

I no longer frequent AC and had no real desire to wade through the Lampi roulette of tube rolling recs. It gives me a headache. It would be interesting, as Paul indicated, to correlate plate voltage of said rectifiers to sonic preferences (and of course a secondary correlation with output tube). An academic exercise more or less but one that would provide potential insight. Carry on....

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
I hear that... You have a month to kill reading all the rolling threads? lol Much easier way, is to find out what tubes work, then google research the tube (along with Lampizator thrown in) and see what you come up with.

But like I said.... Everyone's system/tastes are different. What works for one, will be crap to another.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
It is far more complicated than mere plate voltage and AGAIN, if you read the long posts by people like Greg with extensive tube interest and rolling experience in Lampi Dacs (he is the UK disturb and an audiophile and a Euro Jazz circuit reporter) you would get a great primer and solid grounding on where to start.

Practice beats precept every time.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I hear that... You have a month to kill reading all the rolling threads? lol Much easier way, is to find out what tubes work, then google research the tube (along with Lampizator thrown in) and see what you come up with.

But like I said.... Everyone's system/tastes are different. What works for one, will be crap to another.

Are you not the fellow who posted this?
"Why does every damn thread go Lampizator? I think...
Why does every damn thread go Lampizator? I think the cheerleading has gone on enough... (that ought to get some attention!) lol"

I cant see why anyone would think you are an expert on Lampi DHT Dacs. Total Dac yes, but not Lampi...
I already stated who to read on what tubes could be most suitable as effects are clearly spelled out.

If one is not willing to do a little research, then just stick with stock tubes and let go of the nervosa. Do or dont do...there is no TRY.

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
That's me! I wouldn't have a tube DAC in the first place. Not for me. Especially after living with the Twelve, that has output derived directly off the DAC's with no output gain stage. In this case, less is definitely more. Kind of like single ended vs Push Pull tube amps. Class A single ended Tube preamp vs cathode follower, etc...

However, all the rest of my gear is tube. That is what I was talking about. Tubes and tuning in general. Never claimed to be a Lampi expert, but I am quite damn good at building a system. Yes, the Lampi will have different results with different tubes. So will my amps, preamp, etc... Will that persons result be the same for everyone's system? I think not. I am not trying to irk you off. I kind of like you. A little bit ;) Just conversation based on my findings having had a ton of gear. That experience tells me that just because I like my tubes in my system, not everyone else will in theirs.

Last edited:

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I just got an email from ?ukasz that my Golden Gate is ready. I should be back home on Sunday, so hopefully I will be able to collect it on Monday. Can't wait !

Adam,
GG arrived?
How about first impressions compared to Big7?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
That's me! I wouldn't have a tube DAC in the first place. Not for me. Especially after living with the Twelve, that has output derived directly off the DAC's with no output gain stage. In this case, less is definitely more. Kind of like single ended vs Push Pull tube amps. Class A single ended Tube preamp vs cathode follower, etc...

However, all the rest of my gear is tube. That is what I was talking about. Tubes and tuning in general. Never claimed to be a Lampi expert, but I am quite damn good at building a system. Yes, the Lampi will have different results with different tubes. So will my amps, preamp, etc... Will that persons result be the same for everyone's system? I think not. I am not trying to irk you off. I kind of like you. A little bit ;) Just conversation based on my findings having had a ton of gear. That experience tells me that just because I like my tubes in my system, not everyone else will in theirs.

Paul, not picking a fight either and I didnt say that we all have the same tastes. My point is Greg laid it out really well and described outcomes, this tube sounds this way and that tube another…kid of thing. That is exactly what an inquisitive person would want to read.

Referring to tube specs on what works and what doesn't is almost sophomoric here, because that is already defined and in the public domain. We already know that people report different results from even different brands with the same or similar specs and we know that auto-balancing circuit allows many output tubes based on wattage and heat generation.

In the end sysnergy is also important as I ONLY use tube gear with the Dac, SS amplification. We also know that the tube circuitry Lukasz uses is as light as possible, almost to the point of collapse if a single resistor or such component is removed.

PS, I quite like you too.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Guys get a room

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing