Golden Gate DAC arrives.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Al
I have a golden gate updated after I was by you
But I also have my big 7 head dac that's is very transparent best I ever heard. At some point I am sending my
Big 7 in a for golden gate 2 update.

Why a GG2? Why not the whole nine yards and order a Pacific instead?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Lol. That gz34 Millard or Mazda is better than the rest of the smaller recti in most output tubes
NORMAN keeps pushing it and it's true.

Is that the tiny little sucker, you sent me Norman?
I told you it is special, but I need to re-check with the KR 5u4g Anni.
it definitely sounds different but I'm not sure yet if it is just different. Maybe I need to give it more hours as I find the GZ 34 a little coarse and fizzy.

AND, it can't be that good, it it so tiny, it looks rather laughable compared to the much taller KR 5u4g :rolleyes: ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Please keep that Mullard recti with you Christoph till I come over to listen to the universum

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Please keep that Mullard recti with you Christoph till I come over to listen to the universum

If Norman is OK with it, I will gladly keep that little sucker till you come over :rolleyes:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
NORMAN help please I know it's those two and I have both. I also know it was the only recti that sounded good with the eml mesh 2A3 asside from the full size recti. And the CHINESE one I use as well.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Is that the tiny little sucker, you sent me Norman?
I told you it is special, but I need to re-check with the KR 5u4g Anni.
it definitely sounds different but I'm not sure yet if it is just different. Maybe I need to give it more hours as I find the GZ 34 a little coarse and fizzy.

AND, it can't be that good, it it so tiny, it looks rather laughable compared to the much taller KR 5u4g :rolleyes: ;)

Yes...that is the one Trab loves it. Then there is the Philips metal base of the same ilk...

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
All, thanks for the reply :)

Could you be more specific and tell me the type of Mazda you find is that good ?

Its the double mica 5rg4y marked "foreign made". Over a year ago I picked up a pair for me and AL. AL also got a philips metal base GZ34 but misplaced it...perhaps with Andy?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
NORMAN help please I know it's those two and I have both. I also know it was the only recti that sounded good with the eml mesh 2A3 asside from the full size recti. And the CHINESE one I use as well.

Chinese is Shuagang 274b... great value play for performance to price. You have the Mazda and Philips metal base GZ34. I dont kmow of you having a Mullard unless its the tall/skinny GZ37. The GZ34 is a tiny tube.

Evo-No-Revo

Jun 15, 2016
My GG just arrived with my new Pink Faun servers. I have hooked the GG up with my laptop and also with one of the PF servers...the control unit.

I have an odd sound that happens about every 5-10 minutes. I has to be coming from the DAC as it happens with both my MacBook Pro and the PF server.

It sounds like a weird Star Trek noise...kind of like a phaser or laser and it lasts for about 1-2 seconds. I have only used the DAC with the USB input so far.

Does this sound ring a bell with anyone?

Evo-No-Revo

Jun 15, 2016
I have only played PCM so far.

I will be getting PF to do the initial setup of the servers tomorrow via Teamview. At that point I will be able to try DSD. I know the Amanero firmware update was done a couple of weeks ago. But it was all playing well together before it shipped.

After all the time I have taken to get this project in my hands....I really don't want to have to send the damn DAC back to Europe...UGH..

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Best to email Lukasz and Fred. I am sure they will likely have a simple solution as you may have an outdated/faulty flashed FW version. Best of luck...I am interested to hear how it pairs with the PF front end!

Last edited:

Evo-No-Revo

Jun 15, 2016
It was a driver issue with Amanero. It is working but too much cable for this rack. I have to reset up in different rack with more access and meet back with Jord of PF tomorrow to finish startup.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Evo-No-Revo, please share your thoughts on how usb and i2s compare when you’ve had a chance to evaluate. The latter protocol is really designed for very short signal paths, so it’ll be interesting to learn how it fares in this application. I know Mike L had decent results on the Aqua duo using my normal lan cable.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing