Golden Gate DAC arrives.

Thanks for posting the psvane 274b 242 combo. I'll try tonight
A tube does not sw it rolls or clips
It's the principle difference of solid state over tubes
Solid state do use bios as well but I don't think it's done Ina recti circuit

Lampi plays MQA yes but only in software mode that is done by your desktop system
The final unfolding is done inside a dac this is not being done in a lampi dac as yet.
Many dacs don't do software as well yet either.
And the software method is much better than non MQA of the same tracks. The improvement is there and obvious

My pushing for solid state recti is just to make this dac have more views and a recti burns at full throttle even if just on and no music playing
Our uotoit tubes will last many more hours than a recti does. When I am playing and doing things and not focused I use them

Nice setup pics. Do you use your mac for source ?

Hi Guys,

I have been meaning to do this for a while but finally got around to trying out the new Roon dsp functionality.

So I have my windows 10 laptop connected to my router over Ethernet and loaded up with Roon core. My Auralic Aries is essentially the rendered of Roon and talks to my GG as per normal. The difference is that you control the Aries with Roon not the Aries lightning app. Okay - boring stuff out the way.

So the next bit is to configure the new dsp engine in Roon. I have applied double dsd upsampling and 7 band parametric EQ on Roon which is then sent to my Aries. I can confirm it all works very well without hiccups. I always wanted this solution as I can change dsp setting on the fly from my iPad which is great all from Roon.

On another note, those of you also with the separate 512 engine must now also know that it kicks the ass off the r2r dsd engine. This Roon feature is very handy then. At the moment I have lossless Tidal upsampled to double dsd with EQ to Lampi.

Awesome and happy tweaking.

I don't use room or do I want to but I wish I could find and way to use j river to run tidal and upsample. Some have posted ways but when I try them they echo or don't work
I want it to upsample pcm and to control tidal from AN iPad

Hi Bill
Hi Guys,

I have been meaning to do this for a while but finally got around to trying out the new Roon dsp functionality.

So I have my windows 10 laptop connected to my router over Ethernet and loaded up with Roon core. My Auralic Aries is essentially the rendered of Roon and talks to my GG as per normal. The difference is that you control the Aries with Roon not the Aries lightning app. Okay - boring stuff out the way.

So the next bit is to configure the new dsp engine in Roon. I have applied double dsd upsampling and 7 band parametric EQ on Roon which is then sent to my Aries. I can confirm it all works very well without hiccups. I always wanted this solution as I can change dsp setting on the fly from my iPad which is great all from Roon.

On another note, those of you also with the separate 512 engine must now also know that it kicks the ass off the r2r dsd engine. This Roon feature is very handy then. At the moment I have lossless Tidal upsampled to double dsd with EQ to Lampi.

Awesome and happy tweaking.

I find the upsampling/upconverting in HQPlayer sounding way superior to the one in roon after 1.3.
I use HQPlayer to upconvert to DSD256 after letting do roon the parametric EQ.
Sounds IME a lot better than roon alone.
You should try it with HQPlayer :cool:
And yes, you are right: the chipless DSD engine sounds quite a lot better than the DSD part of the R2R engine. At least in my system.

Hi Bill

I find the upsampling/upconverting in HQPlayer sounding way superior to the one in roon after 1.3.
I use HQPlayer to upconvert to DSD256 after letting do roon the parametric EQ.
Sounds IME a lot better than roon alone.
You should try it with HQPlayer :cool:
And yes, you are right: the chipless DSD engine sounds quite a lot better than the DSD part of the R2R engine. At least in my system.

Hi Christoph,

Hope you are well. Yeah - no question HQplayer is king of upsampling but unfortunately the Aries can't render from HQplayer but only Roon directly. So if you use an Aries and want upsampling and EQ, I think this is the only easy method.

Cheers

Hi Bil

Everything ok here. I hope it's the same for you.
It could have been so easy if the damned Amanero USB board would work with Linux up to DSD512 (like it does with other USB boards) and just use a microrendu but no, I have to have a win10 NUC NAA...
At least it works like a charm and I can use HQPlayer, roon and DSD512 into my GG, so for me it's absolutely worth the (little) hassle.
You should give it a try.

I don't use room or do I want to but I wish I could find and way to use j river to run tidal and upsample. Some have posted ways but when I try them they echo or don't work

Can't you use Audirvana?

Can't you use Audirvana?

Hi Bil

Everything ok here. I hope it's the same for you.
It could have been so easy if the damned Amanero USB board would work with Linux up to DSD512 (like it does with other USB boards) and just use a microrendu but no, I have to have a win10 NUC NAA...
At least it works like a charm and I can use HQPlayer, roon and DSD512 into my GG, so for me it's absolutely worth the (little) hassle.
You should give it a try.

What win 10 NUC NAA do you recommend, Christoph?

Cheers

Hi guys!

In the process of upgrading from B7 to GG. Any thoughts on output cap options? For a while Duelunds were preferred, then Jupiters now Mundorfs. Not sure what experience people have with these. Anyone tried the super $$ Duelund Silvers?

Thanks!

Hi guys!

In the process of upgrading from B7 to GG. Any thoughts on output cap options? For a while Duelunds were preferred, then Jupiters now Mundorfs. Not sure what experience people have with these. Anyone tried the super $$ Duelund Silvers?

Thanks!

I have tried the Mundorfs and Jupiters in various tube amps and my Audio Note DAC 5, and every time preferred the Copper Cast Duelunds. Can't see any weaknesses in them TBH. You could ask Lukatz to fit copper cast with silver as a bypass (cheaper way to get cry close to the full on silver caps).

I have tried the Mundorfs and Jupiters in various tube amps and my Audio Note DAC 5, and every time preferred the Copper Cast Duelunds. Can't see any weaknesses in them TBH. You could ask Lukatz to fit copper cast with silver as a bypass (cheaper way to get cry close to the full on silver caps).

What differences did you notice in the dac with the caps? How did you try it, replaced and got back the dac each time?

I did a search but couldn't find the answer to this:

Which input is generally considered to be the best on the Lampi GG?

I did a search but couldn't find the answer to this:

Which input is generally considered to be the best on the Lampi GG?

Generally AES is considered best by some, at least that was my experience when I compared inputs on vivaldi. Other friends reported similar with a couple of other dacs. Don't know any Lampi guys using it, but if you want to maximize flexibility and SQ, suggest getting in USB, AES and SPDIF. USB will be required for all the pm to DSD, 512, etc. SPDIF for any external CD player if you so choose. And AES if you get any of those rednet kind of transports which are not expensive and limited to 24/192 but give you good SQ. I think addition of the AES will take an addition 200 or 300 quid?

It is not possible to get all inputs. One can choose usb and either a spdif or AES but not both aes and spdif together.

It is not possible to get all inputs. One can choose usb and either a spdif or AES but not both aes and spdif together.

Oh ok. Well then that depends on whether one wants to use a CD player or not

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing