Golden Gate DAC arrives.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I'm sorry if my style of explaining things doesn't compute in your mind. It's funny that when knowledgeable people from the DAC business read it, it's 100% clear as a bell.

Funny none of them were about "Dac knowledge"…its your logic and you arithmetic I am worried about. GG is not double priced B7. Please stick to facts and stop the thread crap?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Funny none of them were about "Dac knowledge"…its your logic and you arithmetic I am worried about. GG is not double priced B7. Please stick to facts and stop the thread crap?

Educate us in the differences then.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I´m the new guy in this neighbourhood so I will tread with light feet...Personally I don´t see an insult anywhere on Blizzard´s post and some of you are making a meal or more likely a banquet out of a simple suggestion to improve a product that has been nothing but constantly improved since its inception. Lukasz himself started out modding or "Lampizing" gear and there is nothing offensive in what Blizzard is proposing which is exactly to lampize a Lampizator DAC, he is not pointing a gun at anyone to force them to do the mod, merely suggesting an easy (for him) and inexpensive way to improve sound quality which is what we´re all pursuing in the end. Yes, it´s not easy on the ear to be told your expensive, state of the art, best in the world, can´t imagine sounding better, boutique parts galore DAC has a cheap Amanero implementation that can be easily bettered, but the reality is it will be bettered because that is the Lampizator spirit.

I want to state that I´m a huge fan of Lukasz and his work and do not intend to offend anyone, I´d love to own a Golden Gate and if I did, I would welcome Blizzard´s suggestions and surely run them past Lukasz.

Blizz has never even heard a Lampi Dac and is pontificating. Does that strike you as reasonable. He also basically accuses Lukasz of being a scammer with the GG. Nuff said.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Lol. You obviously won't since you would have the obstacle of Lukasz signing off on your $2000 mod and thereby devaluing the brand. Alas I don't fancy your chances.

In all seriousness though, I would take up Wisnon on his suggestion of merely setting up a business agreed with Lampi to install the pimped up Anamero - all kosher and no warranty invalidated.

After what he has posted? If I were Lukasz, I would steer clear of any involvement with him.

No one is being "helpful" and trying to educate when they keep repeating the same thing over and over, as if it propaganda.

No one here denied that a clock mod may help, but when told that its not a guarantee in this setup, he flies off the handle. $500 just for the part, means a modded will likely cost $1,500 with shipment. That money for a tweak could likely be better spent of software optimization, or a pair of Elrogs or Anniversary globes.

If it is such a miracle tweak, I imagine it makes the $1,100 Chinese Dac he keeps talking about better than the GG!! LoL

SMDH.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Blizz has never even heard a Lampi Dac and is pontificating. Does that strike you as reasonable. He also basically accuses Lukasz of being a scammer with the GG. Nuff said.

I don't recall accusing Lukasz of being a scammer. Not sure why your putting words in my mouth. Everything I said is on record.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Lol. You obviously won't since you would have the obstacle of Lukasz signing off on your $2000 mod and thereby devaluing the brand. Alas I don't fancy your chances.

In all seriousness though, I would take up Wisnon on his suggestion of merely setting up a business agreed with Lampi to install the pimped up Anamero - all kosher and no warranty invalidated.

Why would Lukasz need to sign off on anything? It's the people who own the DAC's choice to have them modded or not. Same as with the DAC's he started out in the business modding.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I am done with you…
You clearly have an agenda, and I have better things to do. Bye.

Sounds like your the one with the agenda.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Blizzard, you really need to tone down a little bit. You do sometimes sound a bit aggressive. Trying to push your ideas down other people's throat.

Some people, including me, appreciate your suggestions. But some of your claims (change a better USB board has much greater sound effect than a new R2R board) do not have actual experience to back you up. I think it is better if you can work with fellow Lampizator DAC owner to do your mod and post the experience. It would be more constructive and convincing.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Blizzard, you really need to tone down a little bit. You do sometimes sound a bit aggressive. Trying to push your ideas down other people's throat.

Some people, including me, appreciate your suggestions. But some of your claims (change a better USB board has much greater sound effect than a new R2R board) do not have actual experience to back you up. I think it is better if you can work with fellow Lampizator DAC owner to do your mod and post the experience. It would be more constructive and convincing.

I'm basing this on experience with the Amanero, and clock mods. But yes your right, I haven't compared the mod with the R2R DAC on the GG. But there is something anyone can try without any mods. Download the free HQplayer trial and convert their PCM to DSD 256 on the fly, and compare with the R2R playing the same PCM files. This alone will probably outperform the R2R DAC.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Blizzard, you have stated your peace and now it is time to move on. Maybe you should listen to a Lampi before you further comment. And if you feel the need to continue to attempt to educate all of us on the topic of DAC design, start a new thread. This thread is for Lampi owners and those who are interested in listening to LF's design. It is really an insult to someone like LF for you to act like your mods are what's needed to bring his build to the next level. And if I have misunderstood you, fine. But please stop.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Blizzard, you have stated your peace and now it is time to move on. Maybe you should listen to a Lampi before you further comment. And if you feel the need to continue to attempt to educate all of us on the topic of DAC design, start a new thread. This thread is for Lampi owners and those who are interested in listening to LF's design. It is really an insult to someone like LF for you to act like your mods are what's needed to bring his build to the next level. And if I have misunderstood you, fine. But please stop.

I actually haven't been even commenting on Lukasz's design. It's actually been mostly on the design of the Amanero. It's not Lukasz's design. It's designed and built in Italy by someone else. The other recommendation I had was for 3rd party software specifically designed to get the best out of chipless DSD DAC's.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
This is a thread about the Golden Gate. Your comments are off topic. Start a new thread.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
This is a thread about the Golden Gate. Your comments are off topic. Start a new thread.

It's not off topic because the Golden Gate uses the Amanero to extract the PCM and DSD data from the USB feed, clock it, and send it off to the DSD low pass filter, and PCM chip. It's a very critical part of the operation with this DAC, for those who use this input option.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Ok. I am going to start talking about metal cases since the lampi uses one.

Again, please take your comments elsewhere. You have done enough damage to completely derail the intended topic for this thread.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Ok. I am going to start talking about metal cases since the lampi uses one.

Again, please take your comments elsewhere. You have done enough damage to completely derail the intended topic for this thread.

Your right ignorance is bliss. Bury your head in the sand and enjoy your jitter :). Anyone open minded can PM me.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

This audio preacher is beyond help. We should completely ignore him because otherwise he will not stop from coming back to this thread while pushing his opinions, insulting members and absolutely wanting (or does he actually need it?) to have his last word.

Last edited:

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

Sorry, it was my suggestion...

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I'll be speaking with Lukasz in the next couple of days about a GG Head Dac build and will offer to act as a guinea pig for the Acko usb card if he is game.

Am surprised nobody seems to have mentioned that the R2R appears to have been resurrected from Big 6, aka Fikus dac, his erstwhile personal favourite model.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing