Golden Gate DAC arrives.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Btw, this Dutch audiophile uses inter alia Dan D' Agostina amplification and Magico M3 loudspeakers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
He compared the following valves:
- Elrog 300b
- Anniversary 45
- WE 101d reps
- PX 4
- KR 242
- Tak 300b

Do you know the rest of his system?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Btw, this Dutch audiophile uses inter alia Dan D' Agostina amplification and Magico M3 loudspeakers.

Sounds like the Dutch version of a possible Elberoth system

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Hello !

I have the Tak 300b's for 4 weeks now in my GG (r2r with latest update clocks). They are my favourites right now. The most neutral in my system and with very good 3-d, depht is much better than KR242 in my system. They have the space , 3-d and decay like the 101d WE reps, BUT not the over bright, over detail and also the bass is more in control. So more neutral IMHO.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks. Did you also try KR Px25 and the special Lampi 45 from EML?

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
He compared the following valves:
- Elrog 300b
- Anniversary 45
- WE 101d reps
- PX 4
- KR 242
- Tak 300b

Those Anniversary 45 are the KR Lampi special 45.
I also have the normal KR 45, which are also very good. They have less bass but much better control than the special KR 45 and KR242 in my system and IMHO.
Only Piano mid key has a little less weight with the stock 45's.

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Thanks. Did you also try KR Px25 and the special Lampi 45 from EML?

No i did not try the PX25, but i did try (and own a set) the PX4. They are powerfull but soundstage is very 2-d. My speakers are 2,7 (9 feet) from frontwall and with PX-4 i have no depht (ok 1m max) and with 101d's and tak 300b's i have 20 meters depht :). The KR242 are more neutral but also have not as much depht, maybe 3-4meters, all offcourse IMHO and in my system.

No not the EML 45's , but would love to.
I did have the KR special Lampi 45 (Globe/mesh), had them for 8 weeks but didn't like them.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

True that ... I drive my M3s with the Dagostiono Momentum and GG. We use different servers though.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
No i did not try the PX25, but i did try (and own a set) the PX4. They are powerfull but soundstage is very 2-d. My speakers are 2,7 (9 feet) from frontwall and with PX-4 i have no depht (ok 1m max) and with 101d's and tak 300b's i have 20 meters depht :). The KR242 are more neutral but also have not as much depht, maybe 3-4meters, all offcourse IMHO and in my system.

No not the EML 45's , but would love to.
I did have the KR special Lampi 45 (Globe/mesh), had them for 8 weeks but didn't like them.

Welcome and thanks for this info. For the other WBF members: audioquattr is the Dutch audiophile I was referring to in one of my previous posts, that is the person with a set up that resembles the system of Adam.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
True that ... I drive my M3s with the Dagostiono Momentum and GG. We use different servers though.

Oh wow you got the Dags already, congrats - did think you were headed for those. I know you don't like preamps but you should try both AR Ref 40/10 and Dag preamp into the Momentums

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post

But... we also have the same IC's; AQ Well Signature :)
Bit scary, copying you ... Must be by chance ;-)
I do have the D'ag Momentum mono's for allmost 6 years now and still own and love them very much, allthough at the moment (since i have it for 4 month's) i prefer my Alieno 250 OTL with 300b's.

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom

May I ask what prompted the switch from the MSB M202? What was discovered/revealed by the D'Agostino's?

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Lukasz, 'mister Lampizator', visited me yesterday to fix the 'hick up issue' I had while playing my dsd 256 files. In addition he installed some software updates for the Lampi (super) computer/server I am using.

My Golden Gate is standing on a wooden rack that is actively decoupled/isolated through Halcyonic/Accurion devices. Furthermore I am using Shun Moon feet underneath the Golden Gate, the Takatsuki 274B and two Emission Labs 45 GM valves, the Taralabs Grandmaster ic and the absolutely wonderful sounding (unpowered) usb cable of Refine Audio (from Germany).

All this in combination with the Tidal La Assoluta loudspeakers and my Kondo amplification.

Lukasz was amazed about the pure, transparent and unmechanical sound of the system and was very happy indeed with the performance of the Golden Gate dac.

After fixing the 'hick up issue' and installing the software update I could hear much more clearly than before what the 'superclocks' are actually doing: first of all the noisefloor been lowered significantly with as result a more open and clearly more transparent sound and presentation.Furthermore the musical presentation gained in refinement, fluidity and smoothness. The differences for the better are not subtle at all; the LA's are so incredible transparent/revealing that apparently small changes - such as changing a fuse (I am using a beautiful sounding fuse of Refine Audio in my Golden Gate dac) - can have a dramatic effect.

All in all a significant step forward. In the context of my - tubes based - system and in combination with all the 'audio toys' I just mentioned the Golden Gate dac is in my view (still) an amazing performer.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Forgot to add: I played for Lukasz some of my dsd 256 and dxd Challenge Classics files (I order all the recordings of Challenge Classics in both formats). He really liked some of the classical CC pieces such as some aria's from Bach' s Matthew passion and music from Monteverdi (in dsd 64).

Before the changes I always preferred the dxd files to the dsd files. Now I am not so sure anymore and need to do additional listening tests.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Rudolph, I'm looking to investigate fuses next, and in pole position are SR Blacks
Would like to check yr recommendation out, but struggling on a Google search
Can you help out a bit re these Refine Audio fuses?
Thanks

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Rudolph, I'm looking to investigate fuses next, and in pole position are SR Blacks
Would like to check yr recommendation out, but struggling on a Google search
Can you help out a bit re these Refine Audio fuses?
Thanks

Here you are: https://www.subbase-audio.de/portfolio-items/refine-sicherungen/

I have tried out a few of these Audio Refine fuses in various components in my Tidal LA/Kondo system and they are really fantastic. Unlike the SR black and AM beeswax the Audio Refine fuses are not absurdly priced - only 23 EUR per piece - and I would not be surprised at all if they sound as good as or even better than the afore mentioned fuses. I bought recently an AM beeswax fuse to try it out in my Kondo preamp. But I am so impressed with the Audio Refine fuses that I have not yet installed the AM beeswax fuse.

Btw, the Audio refine fuses are only available in the (small) size of 20mm. My Kondo Gakuoh amps make use of the large 32 mm fuses, so I cannot use the Audio Refine fuses for these amps. I am very sad about that!

As always in this hobby everything depends on taste and (system)synergy but I was in particular (that is in all honesty: utterly) amazed when I installed the Audio Refine fuse in my Kondo preamp: the difference was huge, not unlike adding a much better ic or pc. It was without questioning my most cost effective (and serious) upgrade I made in my audio life.

So to all WBF members: given the fair price of the Audio Refine fuses, try these fuses out! Even if you would be only half as enthusiastic as I am, I promise you that it will be an audio relevation.

And just to be sure (and to keep ahead of the sceptics): I have no financial interest of any kind in the company that produces the Audio Refine products.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Forgot to add: I played for Lukasz some of my dsd 256 and dxd Challenge Classics files (I order all the recordings of Challenge Classics in both formats). He really liked some of the classical CC pieces such as some aria's from Bach' s Matthew passion and music from Monteverdi (in dsd 64).

Before the changes I always preferred the dxd files to the dsd files. Now I am not so sure anymore and need to do additional listening tests.

St Mathews Passion is possibly the best concert I have been to, and my gf and I have made a note to at least on alternate Easter hols, travel to a place where we can watch it on Good Friday before continuing with the holiday.

The news DSD 512 engine is much better than the other one, even for DSD 64. Have you tried the Tara top PC on the Lampi yet?

Also I did not get good results with the ultra shun mook but did with the giants - heh. But that could have been placement. Nice to know it works on your Halcyonic/Accurion

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
St Mathews Passion is possibly the best concert I have been to, and my gf and I have made a note to at least on alternate Easter hols, travel to a place where we can watch it on Good Friday before continuing with the holiday.

The news DSD 512 engine is much better than the other one, even for DSD 64. Have you tried the Tara top PC on the Lampi yet?

Also I did not get good results with the ultra shun mook but did with the giants - heh. But that could have been placement. Nice to know it works on your Halcyonic/Accurion

Hi Kedar, yes the St Matthews passion is a stunning piece of music. In the Netherland we (also) have a tradition of performances around Easter. Although not lately I have been attending these performances for many years. In particular the arias are huntingly beautiful.

Using the second in line Shun Mook feet. What went wrong in your view with the Ultra Shun Mook feet under the Golden Gate dac?

Using the Tara top of the line pc is not that easy in my LA set up because I bought this pc with an USA plug (Tara prefers them with these plugs) while I am using only Schuko powerstrips in the Tidal LA/Kondo set up; so I need to insert another powerstrip. Not done this yet.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Btw, listening at the moment to part 5 of the Channel Classics/Fischer (dsd 64) recording/file of Mahler's second symphony: very nice indeed.

The new Golden Gate dsd 512 dac (I suppose partly due to the better clocks) is indeed clearly better than the previous version: with the mesh 45 valves the Golden Gate sounds much more transparent, lineair and refined. Just more 'real'.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing