test
test
test
test
Page 144 of 144 FirstFirst ... 4494134135136137138139140141142143144
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1440

Thread: Golden Gate DAC arrives.

Typical Audiophile behaviour - doesn't know when he's got it good ��
    Industry disclosure - www.sablonaudio.com & Dealer for Lampizator and Sound Galleries of Monaco Server

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback. No idea how if at all these measurements relate to the "absolute maximum output" that Lampi provides on their spec sheet. My GG states 285mV which is clearly not reflected in the numbers obtained, although it might be measurement error due to my cheap dmm.

Mark thanks for pointing out that the squeezebox touch control measurements are very close to reference though.

Ked, I wonder if your GG was significantly hotter than mine hence problems with your ref 9. Did you tell me what your "absolute max output" spec was?

Yeang

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    It's just 560 mv. But I don't think that's the only factor, not sure what else is
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Hi Mark,

Thanks for info. Do you know if all the 242 optimized systems are just padded down with resistors near output? L is having me remove a resistor near each RCA jack (which I have yet to do) to fix my issues with low volume. Remains to be seen if the noise level will increase proportionally.

Do you know if there is flexibility with tube gain and such?

Note that part of the difference btw my new GG and old Big 7 is that the big 7 has the integrated volume control. I was measuring it at max volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Sablon Audio View Post
    Pretty much confirms what was already known - that 242 runs 'hotter' than the valve types normally specified and needs quite a bit of padding down via resistors, the quality of which will have a significant impact on sound quality. This can be done either by special request or via a switchable option to give greater flexibility.

Seatrope's measurements inidicate a large difference in the outputs of his older Big 7 and latest GG, so perhaps Lukasz has made some changes to the circuit design?!?

Well interesting that my GG rated at 285 mV produces a 242 peak output of 2.96V. By logical extension yours may produce a peak of about 6V...

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    It's just 560 mv. But I don't think that's the only factor, not sure what else is

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seatrope View Post
    Here are some quantitative measurement with an inexpensive DMM which might be useful to those interested in the differences with the 242 tube and 45 mesh. This was primarily done to evaluate the low volume on my new GG.

Measured at RCA Out with rigged RCA cable to digital multimeter in AC voltage mode:

Squeezebox touch:
    1 kHz tone, 0 dBFS = 2.050V

Old Big 7, EML 45 mesh and Jan CD-R recti, TAIV volume fully open, PCM thru toslink:
    1 kHz tone, 0 dBFS = 2.373V
    Mahler Solti 8 first mvt = 0.918V

Old Big 7, 242 and 5U4G recti, TAIV volume fully open, PCM thru toslink:
    1 kHz tone, 0 dBFS = 8.11V
    Mahler Solti 8 first mvt = 3.005V

GG, EML 45 mesh and 5U4G recti, R2R PCM thru toslink:
    1 kHz tone, 0 dBFS = 1.144V
    Mahler Solti 8 first mvt = 0.410V

GG, 242 and 5U4G recti, R2R PCM thru toslink:
    1 kHz tone, 0 dBFS = 2.960V
    Mahler Solti 8 first mvt = 1.062V

I am uncertain what the accuracy of my inexpensive multimeter is, so the absolute levels may not be accurate at all. But it is useful as a relative measure of differences in output from my old Big 7 and the new GG.

Yeang
    The value you get with the Squeezebox touch is very accurate - Stereophile measured 2.06V, so I would consider it as calibrated and that your values are correct. They explain a lot about the sound differences using different tubes - no miracles in this aspect.

8.11 VRMS means 11.3V peak - some preamplifier attenuators will distort heavily with such input.
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's and a DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack ...

Hi microstrip,

I *think* the values are Vmax that I measured not VRMS although I'm a newb at multimeter use. It did say max value on the display.

Plus I double checked stereophile reference and it did say 2.06v was the max output level.

So I think 8V was truly maximum with the big 7.

Yeang

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    The value you get with the Squeezebox touch is very accurate - Stereophile measured 2.06V, so I would consider it as calibrated and that your values are correct. They explain a lot about the sound differences using different tubes - no miracles in this aspect.

8.11 VRMS means 11.3V peak - some preamplifier attenuators will distort heavily with such input.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Hi microstrip,

I *think* the values are Vmax that I measured not VRMS although I'm a newb at multimeter use. It did say max value on the display.

Plus I double checked stereophile reference and it did say 2.06v was the max output level.

So I think 8V was truly maximum with the big 7.

Yeang
    Cheap meters will give you RMS values - you can check it just measuring the mains voltage. Manufacturers usually specify power, output level and sensitivity in RMS vunits. The standard CD output level is 2V RMS, as you measured in the Logitech. The 0dB 8V should be the maximum RMS voltage (0dB is the maximum DAC output) . VRMS is the magnitude of the DC voltage that dissipates the same power value as a signal having Vpeak voltage.

Remember Vpeak = 1.404 x VRMS and Vpeak to peak =2 x 1.404 x VRMS.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Under construction around a pair of Wilson XLF's and a DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack ...

Addicted to Best!
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for info. Do you know if all the 242 optimized systems are just padded down with resistors near output? L is having me remove a resistor near each RCA jack (which I have yet to do) to fix my issues with low volume. Remains to be seen if the noise level will increase proportionally.

Note that part of the difference btw my new GG and old Big 7 is that the big 7 has the integrated volume control. I was measuring it at max volume.
    Hi,

That was my conclusion also - they are just padded down with a resistor on the output.

Hi Mark,

Sorry for delay in replying Yeang however I only just saw your post. Is good that Lukasz is happy for you to adjust the resistor values to tailor your output level. I'm not sure how many resistors you have in series with the output or what values they are however you would be well advised to take some impedance measurements with your meter en-route. Once you know your optimal final value, then you can look into buying an exotic replacement like AN Silver Tantalum.

I'm not sure if your tube noise will increase along with the output - suspect it may well do - however some resistor types are quieter than others.

Wrt your comment on the B7 having a volume control, it is actually a resistor based attenuator between the valves and the rcas and does not add any gain of its own. Lukasz is best placed to answer your question about the inate gain of his circuit and whether that can be adjusted endogenously.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
    Industry disclosure - www.sablonaudio.com & Dealer for Lampizator and Sound Galleries of Monaco Server

Page 144 of 144 FirstFirst ... 4494134135136137138139140141142143144