I had a Vision ? | Classical Music we are Listening to Now | And I wanted to Share it

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
This is my introduction to Stankovych's music, and boy do I like it! Picture a humorless, more angst-ridden Shostakovich with a dash of Schnittke here and there--but still tuneful! Very power stuff that deserves to be better known. Superb playing and sound.

Grimaud playing Ravel...'nuff said! Great sound, too.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Hi John, I'm so very happy to see you here...a Classical Music expert and great motivator...inspiration to benefit from.
...Capital "C" for quality Classical Music. ...And capital "M" for Best Music. ...With high-class taste and verve.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Thank you very much, Bob. I hope this thread sees more activity than the others!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
That is my intention John, and I know that with you and many more members here, including my very good friend Kate, who we all love classical music, it should succeed.

By the way, I listened mainly to classical music today, all day, and still, on the r.a.d.i.o.

What I love about music threads is to share and learn on new music recordings, and older ones too, and that it motivates me to get up and spin some of my ? selections, and buy new ones.
Music is good. ...And Classical is best.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
That's all I ever listen to--with the very occasional jazz or Hendrix disc tossed in for a change of pace!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
That's all I ever listen to--with the very occasional jazz or Hendrix disc tossed in for a change of pace!

One odd fact is that Jimi lived next door to George Friedrich Handel (displaced by a few hundred years).

London_003_Hendrix_and_Handel_houses.jpg

It is on Brook Street, now the site of the Handel Museum. The white house on the left is where Hendricks lived. Handel's place is on the right. Our London timeshare is a few blocks away on the same street, on the other side of Grosvenor Square. So we get to acknowledge the spirits of both. So next time you play Jimi, you can follow or precede it with a couple of pieces by his next door neighbor. Sometimes the Handel Museum opens up the Hendricks apartments along with the Handel residence.

Larry

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Another searingly intense performance by the PHQ. Fabulous sound. Oh how I wish they'd record a Bartok and a Shostakovich cycle--they would be frighteningly brutal--in the right places! (A Beethoven cycle would be nice, too.) :D

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
A rather pricey bit of vinyl ($35), but it sounds great, and of course Richter's playing is nonpareil.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
More over-priced ($65 for the 2 LPs--a Speaker Corner remaster)) but beautifully played and recorded vinyl. I think I want to upgrade my turntable rig now!

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Just switched from Bitches Brew, Miles Davis, to Bartok, Piano Concerto No. 2, performed by Stephen Kovacevich with the BBC Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Colin Davis. Eloquence CD. Davis to Bartok - not that much of a stretch.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing