Let's Get A Consensus Of The Best DAC's In The Market Today

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The discussion should not be limited to DACs. A stand alone DAC connected via USB to a server is not necessarily the best approach. That is the premise behind the Lumin, which does not involve the USB issue as it is handled internally. IMO, this is a major reason for it's superb SQ, and at a fraction of the price of the so-called best.
You mean to include the integrated server+DAC? If so, we plan to have other threads to include that kind of device.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Man, can I just have a dac and transport that don't have metallic chassis?

It's like, everytime I shift my dac/transport physcially away from the main system(like putting them into another room), my Vinyl playback would sound even more open and organic.

The presence of metallic objects nearby just adds a layer of hardening sheen to the resultant sound that is so conspicuous by its absence.
If it does it to audio components nearby, what does it already do to audio components encased within it?
(And what are your metallic audio racks really doing to your systems' sound?)

I traded up to the TSDX/DAC2X only because the single boxed XDS1 V1 (for some unknown reasons) really sucked.

But, there're other problems that plague the separates.
The dac offers totally no immunity to transfer interfaces. None.
Even it's ST OPTICAL input is highly susceptible to fiber cable directionality.

Given a choice I rather have a single box player/dac.

And, ur, no metallic chassis please...?

Oh, btw, if I am playing digital, and if I shift my spare turntable (gyro SE) which is just sitting there unplugged and unplayed for the last two years, and the phono (pass lab) into another room, my digital would also sound more open and organic.....

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widely spread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.”

--Bertrand Russell

Lighten up, Kevin, the man is asking what DACs you prefer not your opinion on religion or politics.....

For me, here's my best:

- Esoteric Grandioso (based on how I like the Esoteric K-03 sound and assuming there's just more of the same goodness up the chain)
- MSB stack (forgot the separates model #s)
- TotalDAC - best I've heard
- DCS

All great, all sound different...

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
...this year at the Newport Show I am interested in focusing on digital gear

I'll be interested in DAC's, too. From the pro side...Merging, Bricasti, and Mytek (I hope all will have a presence at THE Show). I'd like to give Lampizator another try -- last year I visited the room the first day and was invited to return later as their set-up was somewhat awry. Light Harmonic is on the list, too.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I too am interested in the current DAC's. The new Berkeley Alpha DAC Reference is supposed to be a game changer. The most 'musical' DAC that I have heard so far would be the Luxman DA06, which I thought was excellent and priced very fairly indeed. I think one could spend a LOT more on a DAC than the Luxman and not really improve on it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The discussion should not be limited to DACs. A stand alone DAC connected via USB to a server is not necessarily the best approach. That is the premise behind the Lumin, which does not involve the USB issue as it is handled internally. IMO, this is a major reason for it's superb SQ, and at a fraction of the price of the so-called best.

You mean to include the integrated server+DAC? If so, we plan to have other threads to include that kind of device.

This DAC from Chord was just announced at Munich and won't be available until later this year, but the buzz is that their new reference model DAVE DAC may be the newest one to beat. Certainly from a digital technology standpoint it appears to be quite advanced and unique. I'm very anxiously looking forward to its release! :cool:

* New DAC DAVE: Beautiful design. ...Nicer than Christian's new Porsche. :b

You guys sure make me check around:

? www.tonepublications.com/review/chord-qbd76-dac/

_______

? www.chordelectronics.co.uk/products-info.asp?id=84

? www.audiophile-magazine.com/bancs-d-essais/chord-dsx1000/

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Steve there are too many on your list I haven't heard or tried in my system. I was a bit disappointed with the Playback Design which I didn't feel measured up when I A/B'd it against the Wadia Series 9 I had at the time. I like the dcs a lot but the price for the stack is too steep for me when you consider the marginal improvement over other products.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For me, it's Lampizator B7, followed by a dac that like Dallasjustice says can be used for DSP (like Exasound or Oppo or stream into Datasat directly). I wouldn't buy any other digital gear apart from Lampi, considering that AL prefers it to his MSB stack and I prefer it to two Esoteric K01s I heard, and a Trinity. Sacrificing higher quality of a dac and going through a datasat or Trinnov can sometimes get a higher overall quality to the sound.

Sorry if my response is OTT, but if not for these options, I would go TT.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I've had the Exasound in my system. I would say it was a poor choice for DSP integration. Pretty much any DAC which can't be synchronous with a high quality AtoD and/or has a goofy ASIO driver is a no go. I checked both of those boxes when I demoed the exa. Maybe George has improved the ASIO driver but it's still very limited I/O makes it a poor choice, IMO.

Among the so called "best" DACs I think the MSB, Mytek Manhattan and Weiss DAC202 could be good choices in this context because each can send a word clock out to the AtoD. I'd be interested in trying the Mytek someday.

For me, it's Lampizator B7, followed by a dac that like Dallasjustice says can be used for DSP (like Exasound or Oppo or stream into Datasat directly). I wouldn't buy any other digital gear apart from Lampi, considering that AL prefers it to his MSB stack and I prefer it to two Esoteric K01s I heard, and a Trinity. Sacrificing higher quality of a dac and going through a datasat or Trinnov can sometimes get a higher overall quality to the sound.

Sorry if my response is OTT, but if not for these options, I would go TT.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I've had the Exasound in my system. I would say it was a poor choice for DSP integration. Pretty much any DAC which can't be synchronous with a high quality AtoD and/or has a goofy ASIO driver is a no go. I checked both of those boxes when I demoed the exa. Maybe George has improved the ASIO driver but it's still very limited I/O makes it a poor choice, IMO.

Among the so called "best" DACs I think the MSB, Mytek Manhattan and Weiss DAC202 could be good choices in this context because each can send a word clock out to the AtoD. I'd be interested in trying the Mytek someday.

Michael

have you owned all of these DACs or merely demoed them in your system

As I said yesterday I feel you have more overall experience with DACs than most any other member here

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
On the "list", I've owned Playback Designs MPD-5 with USB, Totaldac d-1 and totalDAC monobloc. I've owned many others too and demoed a few. I currently own a Lynx Hilo.

Michael

have you owned all of these DACs or merely demoed them in your system

As I said yesterday I feel you have more overall experience with DACs than most any other member here

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
There were two phases for me in this hobby. In the first phase, I was determined to find the "best" DAC. I am now in the second phase. I am now determined to find the finest method of integrating DSP into my system. I've come to this realization due to my experience. I've found that DSP is way more powerful and important to musical enjoyment than whether a DAC's manufacturer mines his own crystal oscillators and measures phase shift down to .0001hz or hammers his own resistors in his lab in a remote Western European village.

IOW, my digital gear is boring. But the music has never been better. :)

Michael

What makes you switch out DAC's. Is it your hobbyist interest in each one or have you not found the right one yet

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
To add and expand on Michael is saying, the ideal configuration for me is a DAC, DSP with parametric EQ and crossover (to drive subs), and Volume control with remote. Sad that our our obsession with "separates" keeps manufacturers from building such integrated products in general.

Adding these separate will create compromises. DSP will then need to have A/D and D/A conversion which does away any reason to buy the upstream DAC. And volume control means a pre-amp.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
have been watching this thread with interest...mainly just commenting so that it shows up in my "subscribed threads" so i dont have to search for it. I have had a few opportunities to switch digital within my own system or within systems i knew well. Unfortunately, i have not played with "only" the DAC in such systems.

So i have my own favorite DAC which as some of you know is the Zanden...its the one that made me stop caring about formats and digital a long time ago. But if i had to pick up from today's latest, the ones i have heard which i would try to investigate (more out of instinct than anything else):

- Boulder 2000 series DAC
- Stahl Tek Opus DAC
- DCS Vivaldi DAC

Plus of the ones i have not heard but would like to:
- da Vinci Light Harmonic
- Audio Note DAC 5th Element. After Martin Colloms' unequivocal review, the Audio Note DAC 5th Element, I can only recall reading such unequivocal praise from him about the X1 Grand Slamms in 1994 and the Krell FPB650 some time later...not even the Guarneri review he wrote was as sensational...and yet all 3 of these have gone on to become Pantheon pieces of audio history. And was equally if not more effusive about this legendary DAC 5th Element. So would love to hear someday.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
There may by an AN Level 5 DAC @ THE Show. I should hear it, too.
Of course, one is not ever hearing 'it' in isolation.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
There may by an AN Level 5 DAC @ THE Show. I should hear it, too.
Of course, one is not ever hearing 'it' in isolation.

Plus, the technology in DAC's would seem to leap forward in so many ways more rapidly than just about any other piece of gear. Personally, I would not jump in on the "best and priciest" DAC in any current or future market. The odds that a newer version OR an upgraded version coming out in a VERY short time are pretty great. As I said before, the Luxman DA06 is IMO pretty darn good, and while it may not be the current "best" it is IMO within striking distance. Plus, it is reasonably priced so that one probably cannot go too far wrong.
The new Mola Mola DAC may or may not be better...same for any number of other recommendations here, BUT for how long...weeks, months..on the outside a year???
Doesn't pencil to me. Too many great LP's to buy, LOL:D

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Well-considered perspective, Davey. :D Okay, I'll have to find the Luxman as well. :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing