Let's Get A Consensus Of The Best DAC's In The Market Today

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Don't forget the even more humble iDSD Micro from iFi at $499.
It handles DSD music files up to DSD 256 without the conversion to PCM you will find in the Mojo.

Brian,

I have both. The mojo blows away the iDSD micro. Plus, I don't respect how iFi shafted their distributor Darren.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Brian,

I have both. The mojo blows away the iDSD micro. Plus, I don't respect how iFi shafted their distributor Darren.

For PCM or DSD or both?

What happened with Darren?

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013

iFi is forming an iFI subsidiary to handle U.S. distribution.
One of the challenges of being an audio distributor - audio companies can change distrubutors or form their own distribution companies.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
For PCM or DSD or both?

Darren played a huge role in building the brand and when it came time for him to enjoy the fruits of the business, they cut him loose. It was pure evil and happened when Darren was in the middle of a divorce.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I'd take the iDSD Micro over the Mojo any day. YMMV.

No way. Not even close. Trust me, I am a long-term owner of both. And I wrote a very positive review of the iDSD Micro too so antipathy toward the iFi device. The mojo has more resolution and is more natural sounding.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
No way. Not even close. Trust me, I am a long-term owner of both. And I wrote a very positive review of the iDSD Micro too so antipathy toward the iFi device. The mojo has more resolution and is more natural sounding.

I've heard both and Mojo doesn't cut it for me.

essoteric

Jun 30, 2016
I have the MBL 1151 DAC and thing it's awesome for Redbook CD's. Unfortunately, it doesn't do Hi-Rez which is one of the reasons I'm looking for another DAC. I've heard the Aqua La Scala and it's definitely on my short list. For the price, it seemed it would be hard to top.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I have the MBL 1151 DAC and thing it's awesome for Redbook CD's. Unfortunately, it doesn't do Hi-Rez which is one of the reasons I'm looking for another DAC. I've heard the Aqua La Scala and it's definitely on my short list. For the price, it seemed it would be hard to top.

At that price point...you should also check out the new Lampi ATLANTIC Dac. It uses Directly heated Pentode tubes in SE triode mode. R2R ladder engine for PCM 384 and DSD256. SS rectification in a small (for Lampi) L4 chassis. Seems like a great package at that price assuming it has a typical Lampi sound. i have not heard one, so cant say definitively Lukasz seems enthused in his right up though...

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
And which are the really best DACs today, 5 years later? Which one of them mentioned ones 5 years ago are still in the top region?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And which are the really best DACs today, 5 years later? Which one of them mentioned ones 5 years ago are still in the top region?

Lampi. Increasing distance

• Haha
Reactions: Golum and adyc

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Im not aiming for consensus here , its an oldie ( as steve didnt put a time constriction in the opening post )
But this makes music regardless of $$

Second would be Zanden 5000 DAC

Attachments

• 20211226_234002.jpg
    20211226_234002.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Im not aiming for consensus here , its an oldie ( as steve didnt put a time constriction in the opening post )
But this makes music regardless of $$

Second would be Zanden 5000 DAC
Interesting to see the Zanden mentioned here. Audiocrack and I have each retained ours (though I note he has more than one digital now since he has gone hi-res). Of the 12 owners of Zanden digital I know, at last check, all but one still own theirs.

With good isolation (SRA), good NOS tubes, and more recently the addition of the Z:Axis Reference I2S cable and latest SL-777 power cables...the digital has continued to go from strength to strength.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing