AKG K-553 Around-Ear Closed-Back Stereo Headphone review

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
Here's an interesting coincidence, or maybe synchronicity: My last review, of the open-back Philips SHP-9500, described what to me is a near-perfect headphone at a low price, lacking only a little in the low bass but having a neutral overall sound with a great soundstage. This review, of the closed-back AKG K-553, is complementary in an interesting way. This headphone has a very similar neutrality and great soundstage (for a closed headphone), but where the Philips has a rolloff in the deep bass, the AKG bass is full-up and the overall sound is warmer and slightly darker than the Philips. If ever there were 2 headphones representing my ideal signatures (neutral-light and neutral-dark), with little to no coloration and good soundstage, open and closed, and very low in cost, these 2 are it. I present the AKG K-553:

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4246

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing