Horch House at the High End, Munich May 2015 (29 Titles on Sale)

Horch House 3.jpg Horch House 4.jpg

Horch House has a nice selection of tapes, 29 albums, ranging from 1 - 4 tapes in an album; Ella Fitzgerald, Oscar Peterson, George Duke, some classical: Bach, Beethoven, Mahler, Strauss. As long as they sound stunning, these will be a v nice addition to my T.P. library. Exhibition pricing available until the end of May, see below, from Euro 275 - 550 (4 x tapes of Puccini "Tosca"). 2 track, 15 IPS.
Regrettably I did not have time to sit down in the open hall and have a serious listening session (headphones). Instead I asked the boss to ship me tape compilations in time for the Newport Show & he agreed. Once I hear the samplers, I can then get back to to the Forum with an opinion on the sound quality. We will be playing the Horch House & Tape Project samplers at the Pelican Hill conference room on the ground floor of the Irvine Hotel at the Newport Show.

I appreciate that other vendors have been offering / selling the Oscar Peterson titles already, but Horch House have a wider selection at reasonable prices. Shipping from Europe will be expensive for a couple of tapes, maybe we can order some together, before the price increase at the end of May. Each album comes in a printed box, resembling the original album. These are the same EQ as The Tape Project - CCIR / IEC. When I visited the web site, I saw that they have more titles than what is printed on the flyer. Would love a Hans Theesink title, along with the Ella Fitzgerald, Gershwin, Mahler etc. More info at http://horchhouse.eu/

Happy listening

Philip

Horch House.jpg Horch House 2.jpg

Last edited:
Strauss.jpg

Unfortunately, Horch House's CEO Volker Lang returned home to Austria after his sojourn in Munich to have to rush to Hospital. He did not have time to organize the Sampler Compilations, so he shipped Oscar Peterson's Girl Talk and Richard Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra William Steinberg with the Boston SO.

Here is what I would like to buy, anyone heard any of these yet ? I'm listening to Sunshine of Your Love on Tidal and it does sound pretty dated. I already own Hans Theesink & Terry Evans Visions on LP and its terrific, so with Delta Time I can only guess that the addition of Ry Cooder would be a blessing, as he is v. sympathetic to the Blues & Americana in general.
1. Gershwin (Bernstein) - Rhapsody in Blue
2. Ella Fitzgerald - Sunshine Of Your Love
3. Mahler - Otmar Suitner, Dresden Philharmonic State Orchestra - Symph. No. 1
4. Hans Theesink & Terry Evans - Delta Time

thanks for the feedback

Philip

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Philip:

I don't know if they would be up your alley but the entire George Duke MPS catalog is classic 70s fusion/jazz rock. Frank Zappa is hiding out on "Feel".

YMMV.

Thanks Ken

I ordered the CD of Feel, unfortunately its not up on Tidal. The addition of Frank Zappa on guitar on three tracks certainly makes this album compelling.

Thanks again

Philip

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I wonder how fast they deliver RTR tape orders ? Open Reel Records gets their tapes from Italy to your door in the U.S. In no more than 5 days. I would like to order some tapes from this outfit but fear a Tape Project slooooow delivery....which is 6 mos to a year from my experience which is unacceptable.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
View attachment 20496 View attachment 20497

Horch House has a nice selection of tapes, 29 albums, ranging from 1 - 4 tapes in an album; Ella Fitzgerald, Oscar Peterson, George Duke, some classical: Bach, Beethoven, Mahler, Strauss. As long as they sound stunning, these will be a v nice addition to my T.P. library. Exhibition pricing available until the end of May, see below, from Euro 275 - 550 (4 x tapes of Puccini "Tosca"). 2 track, 15 IPS.
Regrettably I did not have time to sit down in the open hall and have a serious listening session (headphones). Instead I asked the boss to ship me tape compilations in time for the Newport Show & he agreed. Once I hear the samplers, I can then get back to to the Forum with an opinion on the sound quality. We will be playing the Horch House & Tape Project samplers at the Pelican Hill conference room on the ground floor of the Irvine Hotel at the Newport Show.

I appreciate that other vendors have been offering / selling the Oscar Peterson titles already, but Horch House have a wider selection at reasonable prices. Shipping from Europe will be expensive for a couple of tapes, maybe we can order some together, before the price increase at the end of May. Each album comes in a printed box, resembling the original album. These are the same EQ as The Tape Project - CCIR / IEC. When I visited the web site, I saw that they have more titles than what is printed on the flyer. Would love a Hans Theesink title, along with the Ella Fitzgerald, Gershwin, Mahler etc. More info at http://horchhouse.eu/

Happy listening

Philip

View attachment 20498 View attachment 20499

This is excellent news!:p
Let us know if there is any special time you'll be rolling analog tape at THE Show.

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
View attachment 20507

Unfortunately, Horch House's CEO Volker Lang returned home to Austria after his sojourn in Munich to have to rush to Hospital. He did not have time to organize the Sampler Compilations, so he shipped Oscar Peterson's Girl Talk and Richard Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra William Steinberg with the Boston SO.

Here is what I would like to buy, anyone heard any of these yet ? I'm listening to Sunshine of Your Love on Tidal and it does sound pretty dated. I already own Hans Theesink & Terry Evans Visions on LP and its terrific, so with Delta Time I can only guess that the addition of Ry Cooder would be a blessing, as he is v. sympathetic to the Blues & Americana in general.
1. Gershwin (Bernstein) - Rhapsody in Blue
2. Ella Fitzgerald - Sunshine Of Your Love
3. Mahler - Otmar Suitner, Dresden Philharmonic State Orchestra - Symph. No. 1
4. Hans Theesink & Terry Evans - Delta Time

thanks for the feedback

Philip

Hi Philip,

I got the Ella and Gershwin from your list above.

Played the Gershwin today in Kumagaya Japan at a friends place and it was fabulous! In fact he also had a master from his collection of the same. His one needed Columbia equalisation to be applied and was a tad brighter.
Volker and Tilo have certainly done a great job of recording the playback with the correct equalisation.
Highly recommended purchase.

I will play the Ella, when I get back to Sydney. A big visit is due tomorrow to Yokosuka, and then a few days of software shopping before we head home.

And for a good laugh from all others, yes I got the Bert Kamperfet reel too. It just sounded great on the headphones at the show.

The good part is that Volker has access to over 500+ masters from MPS. so next in line are Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Louis and more.

I find their recordings exemplary with some previous purchases too.

They have done great transfers of these in DSD and PCM which are available on USB cards.

Hopefully their delivery and communication for the future meets expectations of others. Though hopefully Volker going to hospital may be a damper for a short time only.
It was great to meet up with you. Thank you so much for sharing your time.
Best,
Neville

Feb 16, 2015
Norway
In addition to the old jazz and classical tapes I would like to also recommend some of the newer recordings.

Triosence is a modern jazz trio, rhytmic modern jazz with fantastic sound quality. Very involving music.

trios.jpg

The Michel Goddard tape has become one of my favorites. Beautiful music recorded in a old church in France. The sound quality is superb with a strong feeling of being in the room.
I have been a fan of Goddard since the MA and Enja time and after this I like him even more. Here with some great musicians.

mgo1.jpg

http://www.sds-rpm.com/en/projects-of-sds/item/22-michel-godard-soyeusement-live-in-noirlac

Hi Philip,

I got the Ella and Gershwin from your list above.

Played the Gershwin today in Kumagaya Japan at a friends place and it was fabulous! In fact he also had a master from his collection of the same. His one needed Columbia equalisation to be applied and was a tad brighter.
Volker and Tilo have certainly done a great job of recording the playback with the correct equalisation.
Highly recommended purchase.

I will play the Ella, when I get back to Sydney. A big visit is due tomorrow to Yokosuka, and then a few days of software shopping before we head home.

And for a good laugh from all others, yes I got the Bert Kamperfet reel too. It just sounded great on the headphones at the show.

The good part is that Volker has access to over 500+ masters from MPS. so next in line are Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Louis and more.

I find their recordings exemplary with some previous purchases too.

They have done great transfers of these in DSD and PCM which are available on USB cards.

Hopefully their delivery and communication for the future meets expectations of others. Though hopefully Volker going to hospital may be a damper for a short time only.
It was great to meet up with you. Thank you so much for sharing your time.
Best,re
Neville

Thanks Neville,

For the heads-up on the Gershwin, sounds like a no brainier !
Pls let me know about the Ella albumq, Yarrows review in All Music is dismal, while end users on Amazon have been much more fulsome in their praise. This album is up on Tidal so others can form their own opinion.

We'll receive the Strauss and a Oscar Peterson early next week, which we'll play during the Newport Show in "Pelican Hill" on the ground floor.

Thanks again
Philip

P.S. Great meeting you in Munich.

In addition to the old jazz and classical tapes I would like to also recommend some of the newer recordings.

Triosence is a modern jazz trio, rhytmic modern jazz with fantastic sound quality. Very involving music.

View attachment 20547

The Michel Goddard tape has become one of my favorites. Beautiful music recorded in a old church in France. The sound quality is superb with a strong feeling of being in the room.
I have been a fan of Goddard since the MA and Enja time and after this I like him even more. Here with some great musicians.

View attachment 20548

http://www.sds-rpm.com/en/projects-of-sds/item/22-michel-godard-soyeusement-live-in-noirlac

Jim,

Was Dirk Somner involved with either of these albums ? If so, it would be easy for me to get a low Rez file of these albums to familiarize myself with the musical content.

Thanks for the feed-back
Philip

Feb 16, 2015
Norway
Jim,

Was Dirk Somner involved with either of these albums ? If so, it would be easy for me to get a low Rez file of these albums to familiarize myself with the musical content.

Thanks for the feed-back
Philip

Philip,

Yes Sommer did the recording and mastering of the Goddard album.

Btw; also waiting for Strauss, Beethoven etc. Looking forward to recive them!

Regards,

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
Just an FYI.

Volker is still in hospital for post operative care and hopes to get home mid to late next week.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Philip, thanks for the report. Reading through the Horch House website, it looks like Volker Lange is doing the reproduction of the tapes using the same equipment as he did for the earlier releases of the Oscar Peterson set and other tapes (which I bought from him when the Euro was 20% higher!) Since they own those masters and their rights, the duplication process for me was very fast and I got the tapes in a timely manner (unlike TP which has to go through the licensing process for each tape they release as well as QC of the master tapes themselves). However, there had been some complaints of slow response after I did my order, which I hope will be cured by this new, more ambitious venture. I have 9 albums from them so far - the 6 Oscar Peterson tapes and the 3 classical titles - Marimba, trumpet and Gershwin/Bernstein Gala concert (not the Columbia album).

I'm very interested in the other classical titles. I have no idea who George Duke is and probably won't care. But I am hoping Horch House is successful and can expand their offerings with their relationships with EMI/Warner and Sony/CBS and maybe even Sony/RCA. The DG Steinberg Also Sprach may also indicate a relationship with Universal, which would open up Decca, Mercury, Philips, besides DG.

I know talking to Paul Stubblebine and Dan Schmalle of TP, Winston Ma of FIM, and Dave Parsons of ERC, that licensing in an era of major changes of ownership of labels and with artists, some of whom are still alive, is complex and time consuming. So at least for Horch House, having the MPS tapes in house is a big advantage.

Larry

Philip, thanks for the report. Reading through the Horch House website, it looks like Volker Lange is doing the reproduction of the tapes using the same equipment as he did for the earlier releases of the Oscar Peterson set and other tapes (which I bought from him when the Euro was 20% higher!) Since they own those masters and their rights, the duplication process for me was very fast and I got the tapes in a timely manner (unlike TP which has to go through the licensing process for each tape they release as well as QC of the master tapes themselves). However, there had been some complaints of slow response after I did my order, which I hope will be cured by this new, more ambitious venture. I have 9 albums from them so far - the 6 Oscar Peterson tapes and the 3 classical titles - Marimba, trumpet and Gershwin/Bernstein Gala concert (not the Columbia album).

I'm very interested in the other classical titles. I have no idea who George Duke is and probably won't care. But I am hoping Horch House is successful and can expand their offerings with their relationships with EMI/Warner and Sony/CBS and maybe even Sony/RCA. The DG Steinberg Also Sprach may also indicate a relationship with Universal, which would open up Decca, Mercury, Philips, besides DG.

I know talking to Paul Stubblebine and Dan Schmalle of TP, Winston Ma of FIM, and Dave Parsons of ERC, that licensing in an era of major changes of ownership of labels and with artists, some of whom are still alive, is complex and time consuming. So at least for Horch House, having the MPS tapes in house is a big advantage.

Larry

Larry,

I too was hoping that The Tape Project would have some new titles to announce at the Newport Show, unfortunately it was not to be. It will be great to hear some of the existing titles on 1/2" but for new music it looks like we need to look to Europe for the time being. Besides Horch House, we will also play the 2015 demo reel from Open Reel Records - http://www.openreelrecords.com/

I will post my impressions of all these new tapes (to me at least) after the Newport Show.

Ciao

Philip

Open reel record tapes are exceptional....best of all, you have your fix in 7 days...Italia to USA..

Open Reel Records are shipping the Sample Tape tomorrow (Tuesday), should arrive on Thursday, customs permitting. I'll play the sampler at home on Thursday night, familiarize myself before playing at the Newport Show on Friday.
Having two tape decks will make it a lot easier to change reels while the other is playing, though we will also have lots of vinyl & digital files. Should be fun!

Last edited:
Horch Tapes.jpg

Couple of albums from Horch House arrived today; Paul Stubblebine from the Tape Project is coming by my home this evening for dinner , be a good time to check these out. We'll have them in Pelican Hill at the Newport Show on Thursday for the Press to listen to.

Thank you Volker Lang - hope you are recuperating nicely !

Ciao

Philip

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
View attachment 20608

Couple of albums from Horch House arrived today; Paul Stubblebine from the Tape Project is coming by my home this evening for dinner , be a good time to check these out. We'll have them in Pelican Hill at the Newport Show on Thursday for the Press to listen to.

Thank you Volker Lang - hope you are recuperating nicely !

Ciao

Philip

Will definitely drop by...btw, what speakers will you be playing?
Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery to Mr. Lang :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing