BG Corp

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Hi Gary, not sure if you are able to comment on this ...... but now BG Corp has been 'sold' to Christie my understanding is that they're out of the audio game? Does/will this affect the midrange drivers you use in your higher end speakers; and somewhat selfishly, does this now preclude us from having exiting drivers repaired (fortunately I just had mine redone) moving forward? Thanks, Simon.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Hi Simon,

Luckily, I bought a couple of years worth of drivers just before they shut down. Gives me time to design my own as their quality has been really patchy over the past 4 years. We've had to reject over 50% of drivers delivered to us.

Unfortunately, it also means that existing drivers cannot be repaired. But in my design of the new driver, I am also taking into consideration backward compatibility.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Interesting. I know they are branching heavily into consumer market but did not think they would go after B&G. I wonder if the demise of David Grabner (the "G" in B&G), may he rest in peace, has something to do with the sale.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
From what I understood, they were after a couple of the patents that B&G had. They aren't interested in the drivers I used at all, but our business is way too small for Christie to care whether we survive or die. I know that a lot of custom install companies were hurt because they had specced in line-source home theaters, and now there's no product available.

David Graebner left B&G over 10 years ago and was not involved for over 5 years. He was at Wisdom when he passed.

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Thanks Gary. Though I had my drivers rebuilt it doesn't seem that they sound quite as good as they did. I will be curious to see what you come up with.

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
but now BG Corp has been 'sold' to Christie

That is the word on the street. Has anyone heard anything official? Any press releases, letters from Christie to former BG Radia customers?

as their quality has been really patchy over the past 4 years. We've had to reject over 50% of drivers delivered to us.

Gary is being kind... (even if I am being a curmudgeon this morning)

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
When you had your drivers rebuilt, were they re-built to Genesis spec or to B&G spec?

What was the difference in the sound?

Well, I was 'told' that they were rebuilt to the Genesis standard. They just seem a little less alive than they used to be.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing