Audirvana Plus 2.0

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Anyone using this? Are you happy with it? My MacMini died, so I got a new one and am thinking of trying something else than Amarra software. I've read some good things about Audirvana, but am hoping for some users here to share their own experience with it. Thanks.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I have been using 1.5.12.6 for awhile and really love the results. I have not tried 2.0. Maybe when he adds MQA I will give that a a shot.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I don't like it. I switch back and forth from a PC, so if you load files from a FAT32 drive, none of the album/track names show up.
I'm switching to JRiver where you can use both platforms. The remote options are killer!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I don't like it. I switch back and forth from a PC, so if you load files from a FAT32 drive, none of the album/track names show up.
I'm switching to JRiver where you can use both platforms. The remote options are killer!

I agree. That's exactly why I switched. I also found Audirvana loads songs slower than JRiver

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The key is to use iTunes for library management, and Audirvana for playback, in "iTunes integration mode". Best of both worlds. Better UI than JRiver (with iTunes), and better SQ too.

alexandre

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The key is to use iTunes for library management, and Audirvana for playback, in "iTunes integration mode". Best of both worlds. Better UI than JRiver (with iTunes), and better SQ too.

alexandre

ITunes don't like DSD files. Twice now I've had to reformat drives and reload DSD files.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
That is true. I keep all my DSD in Audirvana itself. Or you can use those apps that "embed" the DSD into a regular AIFF file. Then iTunes will see it just fine.

I've never had to reformat a drive with a Mac. Ever. In 20-odd years.

alexandre

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
So, if I use JRiver I can bypass ITunes completely, right? There wouldn't really be any need for it? That would be nice, especially since I could still use my Ipad to select songs, etc. Would I still need Itunes to rip CDs? Sorry for these questions, but I used Amarra for many years and it used Itunes and I haven't played with anything else. What I'm looking for is something I can use to play my music from my external drive that I can control via my Ipad. I am hoping to bypass Itunes completely and still be able to rip CDs and of course, downloads into the external drive and get the artwork and meta data. I still want to store as AIFF, since all my music is already in that format.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO

alexandre

I read that the newest version doesn't play with ITunes anymore. I don't know how true that is. I also don't know if there is a library management app.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Nope, still works in "iTunes Integration Mode". And in "Standalone mode", it has its own library management interface, which is not very good at all.

Unless you're repulsed by iTunes (like I am with JRiver), you're just better off with iTunes for library management, and Audirvana for playback (in the background, transparently).

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Even with 2.0 you can still use i tunes integration mode. 2.0 now gives you the option to bypass i tunes though. I have no issues with DSD with Audirvana. I agree with aslufy completely. Use the I tunes mode.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
For what its worth, I'm delighted with Pure Music. It rides over iTunes so all Library management is in iTunes. It does playback from memory of course, and it upsamples redbook beautifullly to 192 without any sonic glitches. I control iTunes on my iPhone using the "Remote" app. The best part? You get to talk to a very knowledgable human being by phone anytime, once you make the purchase. No question is beneath them and they never make you feel like an moron. (Some of my questions were at the moron level.) They have patience galore. A hundred+ bucks well-spent.
Marty

skolis

Mar 10, 2015
I've been using A2.0 with great results, and imho best SQ.
A 2.1 is now out; and SQ is even better, and lots of "new & improved" stuff.
works with iTunes integration... or not... SQ is better w/o.
Can use iTunes for library management if desired.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
I've tried all of them and own Amarra Symphony and Audirvana plus, out all of them for sound quality Audirvana sounds the best in my system, only gripe is it can take a while to load the tracks, I'm pretty sure this is down to computer memory on the Mac mini being only 1 gig, at some point I'll upgrade the memory, also it's only a matter of time before A + gets the iPad remote

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing