Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Air Force One Set Up - tips n' tricks

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockitman View Post
    My leveling trick. Before I would use the built in level and a silver dollar size puck spirit level and place it by all three foot points to find level. Never seemed dead on. Today I removed the spindle and placed the puck level dead center. Easy peasy to get dead on level from the center spindle or get a slight tilt as Gary talks about. I can't believe I never thought about removing the spindle during the leveling process. Doh !!!

****I should mention for obvious reasons, the TT must be off or in standby mode (Platter not floating on air) before your can remove the spindle.
    Christian,

doesn't your TS-140 give you dead on level automatically?
    Wave Kinetics NVS tt, (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*Aqua Form dac, La Diva CD, SGM serv (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darTZeel NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart NHB-458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, Tara Labs GME w/HRX 2m RCA's. *Tripoint Troy Sig, Entreq Sil Tellus + Poseidon, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kinetics A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    Christian,

the tt needs to be leveled independent of platform.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post

david
    is this a one time thing? or is there some sort of regular leveling interval due to the suspension?

with the Rockport Sirius III and it's linear tracker level was critical to proper travel and minimizing stress on the cartridge and the air suspension could get slightly askew, so every couple months I would check it and adjust it.
    Wave Kinetics NVS tt, (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*Aqua Form dac, La Diva CD, SGM serv (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darTZeel NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart NHB-458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, Tara Labs GME w/HRX 2m RCA's. *Tripoint Troy Sig, Entreq Sil Tellus + Poseidon, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kinetics A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

is this a one time thing? or is there some sort of regular leveling interval due to the suspension?

with the Rockport Sirius III and it's linear tracker level was critical to proper travel and minimizing stress on the cartridge and the air suspension could get slightly askew, so every couple months I would check it and adjust it.
    In my case I have to pump air and adjust the level every 4-5 months.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

In my case I have to pump air and adjust the level every 4-5 months.

david
    makes sense. thanks David.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    Christian,

It does for the surface the TT sits on, not the TT itself. The TT height and level is controlled by air bladders with further height adjustment fine tuning with the 3 TT footer knobs on top of the air footers. I hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    My leveling trick. place spirit level over the spindle - pretty simple

They don't sell these type of spirit levels any more?

I have had mine since Mana acoustics used to make them in the 90's.
    Blue Horizon Prolevel looks similar. It slips over and clamps on the spindle.

http://www.bluehorizonideas.com/prod...ries/prolevel/

david
    Yes, which is why once all is set up, I only periodically confirm level at the platter surface and not at the plinth or top plate of the Vibraplane.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Quote Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
    Blue Horizon Prolevel looks similar. It slips over and clamps on the spindle.

http://www.bluehorizonideas.com/prod...ries/prolevel/
    Thanks, good to see that you can still buy a spirit level that fits over the spindle.

Cheers
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Exclusive P3 & P10, Technics SL-1000MK3D, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37, Esoteric E-03 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345