Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Air Force One Set Up - tips n' tricks

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Wow. That is a thing of beauty. I would love to hear this with the SAT arm. Is the rack included? I wonder how the Air Force Zero will differ.
    It will differ substantially Peter. I've seen the motor and it dwarfs that of the AF1. There are features I cannot disclose but M-S aficionados will likely have a clue of what the Zero will be closest to in terms of lineage. The motor is a bit of a giveaway. Big motor means more massive platter which in turn necessitates a pump to lift it and a plinth to hold it. Given that a standard AF1 can sound like digital black from the listening position and that vibration damping is already so extreme that you can tap on the record and have nothing come out of your speakers, how much more quiet is the Zero? What I will say is that the Premium is also quieter than the 1. The implication on micro and macro dynamic shadings is most compelling to me.
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built

The bar keeps being raised. I'm sure those who consider turntables in this lofty space will be excited about this new offering. I have heard Rockitman's AF1 and it is indeed extremely quiet. Very impressive indeed.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    My leveling trick. Before I would use the built in level and a silver dollar size puck spirit level and place it by all three foot points to find level. Never seemed dead on. Today I removed the spindle and placed the puck level dead center. Easy peasy to get dead on level from the center spindle or get a slight tilt as Gary talks about. I can't believe I never thought about removing the spindle during the leveling process. Doh !!!

****I should mention for obvious reasons, the TT must be off or in standby mode (Platter not floating on air) before your can remove the spindle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by rockitman; 04-21-2017 at 09:54 AM.
    Christian

System Gear

That makes sense, Christian. I use the same Ortofon level for my SME but place it just off center next to the spindle on the platter. Do you notice any difference when measuring at the center with spindle removed and slightly off center with spindle in place and the cushion of air under the platter? Does the weight of the Ortofon level off center effect the balance of the platter? Is that why you have to take the reading at the center and remove the spindle? I assume the platter is perfectly level with and without air supporting it and that the stylus contact pressure from VTF is not enough to effect the level of the platter when riding on the cushion of air.
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

My leveling trick. place spirit level over the spindle - pretty simple

They don't sell these type of spirit levels any more?

I have had mine since Mana acoustics used to make them in the 90's.

Name:  34054255001_607ce87dfb_c.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  133.0 KB

Name:  33800998550_0134d97775_b.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  109.2 KB
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Exclusive P3 & P10, Technics SL-1000MK3D, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37, Esoteric E-03 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    How does this Ortofon bubble level compare in accuracy to the Cartridge Man digital level?
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000 (ordered) tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 (to come)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    preamp: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons (ordered)
    cables: MasterBuilt Ultra or Cardas Clear Beyond (TBD); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks (Kedar to place)

Addicted to Best!
    Hi Ron,

On Amazon there is a comment that the ortofon bubble level is not very accurate. Who knows if that is true. I use a machinist level from starrett that has been calibrated. It is very sensitive to the slightest adjustment. The problem is that it is not a bubble level so you have to measure in at least an x and y axis.

Dan

Dan

Has one reliably heard differences between a platter that is level and one that is say 1 degree off? I wonder about this. I test my platter for level out of habit because my turntable sits on a Vibraplane, and over time it may need slight adjustment with fluctuations of temperature. The simple act of placing an LP on the platter many times will eventually require me to adjust the level of the Vibraplane. I wonder how much this really matters. I can't say I've heard any difference, but I have not done any rigorous testing to confirm.

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Dan, I use two Starrett precision levels, too, because I never knew which was the most accurate bubble level to buy.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000 (ordered) tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 (to come)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    preamp: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons (ordered)
    cables: MasterBuilt Ultra or Cardas Clear Beyond (TBD); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks (Kedar to place)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    Dan, I use two Starrett precison levels, too, because I never knew which was the most accurate bubble level to buy.
    That's true Ron, you never know until you use a few different ones, they might even go off over time. Right now I'm using the AT level which I find very accurate compared to the one I was using for years and had gone off over time.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Has one reliably heard differences between a platter that is level and one that is say 1 degree off? I wonder about this. I test my platter for level out of habit because my turntable sits on a Vibraplane, and over time it may need slight adjustment with fluctuations of temperature. The simple act of placing an LP on the platter many times will eventually require me to adjust the level of the Vibraplane. I wonder how much this really matters. I can't say I've heard any difference, but I have not done any rigorous testing to confirm.

Good point Peter, I never tested 100% level vs slightly off either, it's just something we do as part of rigorous setup because it makes sense but I don't know the acceptable margin of error here.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast