3 13.04%
  • Mose Allison

0 0%
  • Sonny Rollins

3 13.04%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate in Audio Fidelity

[WBF Founding Member] Moderator RBFC's Avatar
    This pursuit should provide pleasure to the only one who matters: the owner of said equipment. That is ultimately the reason we have this stuff; to slip away from the daily grind and relax. Spending too much energy attempting to defend our purchases to others, when we really will rarely change anyone's mind, is a futile undertaking and a waste of time better spent enjoying our hobby.

Take it from a guy who knows very well high-stakes ego battles and frustration with opposing viewpoints in arenas that have huge consequences.

Lee

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member]
    Lee-Sounds like you live in my world where you work. I feel like every day I have to tip-toe through a mine field wearing clown shoes.

Mark

[WBF Founding Member] Moderator RBFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Lee-Sounds like you live in my world where you work. I feel like every day I have to tip-toe through a mine field wearing clown shoes.

Mark
    Mark,

I have two jobs. I look to audio/video as "my happy place". Day job is as a cardiac perfusionist, operating the heart/lung machine for open heart surgery. I work on the tiny babies with congenital defects, keeping them alive while their heart and lungs are stopped to facilitate the surgical procedure. Second job is as a certified defensive tactics instructor for the state law enforcement agencies. Both fields are comprised of individuals with huge egos (I suppose I fit into that group as well....) and the debates about equipment, processes, etc. are far more vehement than what we see here. Lives are on the line in either case, and this at least provides some reason for the attitudes and actions of all involved.

That said, I am absolutely interested in hearing the opinions of others about audio and studying objective measurements of gear. This info assists me when it's time to upgrade/add a component. Although I occasionally feel a bit jealous of those who have "superior systems", I am also quite pleased with the results I obtain with my moderate system. I feel no need to participate in defending my purchases, nor in listening to others slam someone's choices. As objective as measurements of gear may be, and how audibly superior to everyone a certain component/medium may be, music remains a subjective experience. We don't knock others for enjoying types of music that we personally don't prefer. We should also temper our discussions of gear and media with the same realizations about the subjectivity involved.

I want this forum, and my involvement in audio/video in general, to be held to higher standards of conduct than previous venues we have deserted. I ask all to help us to achieve this goal.

Lee

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    I need to clarify something here. I removed two of my posts on this thread, but not because I agreed with the reason for the request-I just agreed to remove them. I don't believe in sacred cows and nor do I think any company should receive a pass on everything they do that is questionable. Censorship is a slippery slope to start down on. My concern here is that if members aren't free to have rational discussions about audio related topics they believe in, then this forum will descend into blandness. Products and companies shouldn't be off limits to discuss because someone might get offended. I can see the day coming where a thread starts proclaiming tubes are better than transisitors and it will offend people who have invested lots of money in their SS gear and they will complain their feelings are hurt and want the offensive posts removed. Or we can flip the coin and say that SS people started the thread and said that SS stomps tubes and now tube lovers like me are crying in our beer at the insensitivity of our SS brethern. You get the point. Next thing you know, we will have to pass out Prozac and have group hugs because we damn sure can't tell the truth about what we believe. The best boss I ever worked for had a huge sign in his office that said "It's better to receive an ass chewing from a wise man than praise from a fool." My former boss couldn't work in today's workplace. He would be drummed out for being insensitive. I have to drink the koolaid all day at work, I just didn't plan on drinking it at home as well.

Mark
    To Mark and all members

First off I need to thank everyone for being such loyal supporters of our site and making it such a huge success

Mark you know that I have the most respect for you because I have always admired that you can call a spade a spade. You always say what you mean and mean what you say and your posts are always ripe with wisdom. To that extent I want to reassure you as well as everyone else here that censorship does not and will not ever exist here. This, unfortunately was a special situation for which special discussion was required between Amir and I. I can say without equivocation that this will not happen again. If everyone reads "The Goals" of What's Best Forum, above everything our goal is to remain honest and to allow debate as long as it is polite. Going forward this will remain our intent.
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    International Distributor of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Thanks for your post(s) Mark,

To me, it's not what you (or anyone) says - it's how one says it; i.e. the words one uses.

As exemplified in the ever-widening gulf in the political landscape, "words" get hurled like Molotov cocktails - is this the writers actual intent, or the result of a bad day at work???

This forum is and should be a place for the good, the bad and the ugly. When expressing a reply to a particularly "opposite" (*******?) opinion - I either don't or wait a few days.

Cheers - and have a GOOD day

Charles

Charles-good advice with regards to either ignoring someone who angers you or waiting until you cool off to reply back. I have been guilty of not doing either at times. I do feel that everyone here is well-intentioned and people don't pick fights on purpose. Sometimes when people hold things near and dear to their heart and someone says something that is less than complimentary about their baby, they tend to get riled up about it. Or if something is said that just totally violates their belief system it can cause heads to spin. I understand that. We all just need to be rational in our thoughts as much as that is possible. And one thing we have to remember that our audiophile hobby is always fertile ground for disagreements because of how many camps we are broken into (digital vs. analog, CD vs. LP, tubes vs. transistors, SET vs. PP, horns vs. all speakers, planars/electrostats vs. dynamic speakers, etc., etc.). I also realize that sometimes truth is not popular and sometimes there is no polite way to state it that someone isn't going to take offense at what you said.

Mark

Myles-I think you and I have had that conversation before. By the way, because of your recommendation for the ORG reissues, I signed up and the first four LPs arrived at my house tonight. I am looking forward to hearing them. And by the way, I love the new Telefunken CCa tubes I received on Saturday from Germany. They really are the bomb.

Mark

Here are the LPs delivered so far:
    I just dropped by to Say Hello-Johnny Hartman
    Crescent-John Coltrane Quartet
    Ballads-John Coltrane Quartet
    Coltrane Live at the Village Vanguard

I like all of the Coltrane stuff. I am not too happy with the Johnny Hartman. I couldn't make it past the first song. It sounded kind of distorted.

Mark

Myles-you nailed the voice problem. As soon as he started singing on the first cut on the first side, I knew something was wrong. It was one of those discs that makes you think something is wrong with your stereo and makes you rush to put on another LP to make sure all is right in your world-and it was.

Mark

. . . I also realize that sometimes truth is not popular and sometimes there is no polite way to state it that someone isn't going to take offense at what you said.

Mark
    Re: "The truth is not popular at times", let us acknowledge that at least in high end audio (and perhaps in life) there is no Absolute Truth that can be expressed by mere human beings. While the language someone uses may make it sound like the author is proclaiming The Truth, it is wiser to read all such proclamations as statements of relative truth.

IMO, it is perfectly OK to allow something to be true for the writer and not true for the reader. There is always a polite way to reply: one simply says "I hear what you say, but it is not like that for me. For me it is like this." These are basic principles of civilized dialogue.

I appreciate everyone's commitment to using this forum to enhance our mutual knowledge and appreciation.

- John

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast