EMT JPA-66 MkII

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Bruce,

Jim has two of them. Not in yellow however. You can email or PM him.

You can also contact Jules directly. He's a nice guy.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
There is a discussion over at Audio Exotics forum about it. I also talked to Patrick Kennedy about it, who has one in his system, and he seems to like it quite a bit. Certainly an interesting unit. It's a full - function preamp, BTW with an excellent line stage.

banpuku

Apr 24, 2010
MN
Hi Bruce,

I have the silver faceplate original version. Feel free to contact me next week if you want to discuss. My email is banpuk@mac.com

Thanks, Pat

airbearing

May 2, 2012
Munich - Germany
This is a wonderful Tube Phono Pre and Preamplifier, very musical and full of options for the "advanced phono afficionado".
I run it with four inputs.

www.AudioCirc.com

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow what a beautiful website you have there

How good is the line stage in it, will the line stage alone compare to the top line stages, and does it have more impedance, high current to drive SS amps?

airbearing

May 2, 2012
Munich - Germany
Wow what a beautiful website you have there

How good is the line stage in it, will the line stage alone compare to the top line stages, and does it have more impedance, high current to drive SS amps?

Bonzo75, thanks. The line stage is excellent and does compare with top line stages. You may drive SS amps pretty well. See the posts listed under the categories: phono preamp, preamplifier.

www.AudioCirc.com

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Soundwise this phono is awesome. So very natural, musical and "live." Excellent tone of vocal and acoustic instruments to my ears. The sonic presentation is further back not majestic. I dont know which is more real farther back or closer up front depending on preferences. However it presents, the realism is extraordinary. Four inputs. Gains are different in each input. I could only use input2 for my low output cart to not really cranking up my volume knob. The other inputs probably need higher output cart like 1mV or a stepup.

**Revise** Once put eq. switched from flat to var and adjusted the turnover, the stage or presentation move up and sound became fuller.

Kind regards,
Tang

Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Soundwise this phono is awesome. So very natural, musical and "live." Excellent tone of vocal and acoustic instruments to my ears. The sonic presentation is further back not majestic. I dont know which is more real farther back or closer up front depending on preferences. However it presents, the realism is extraordinary. Four inputs. Gains are different in each input. I could only use input2 for my low output cart to not really cranking up my volume knob. The other inputs probably need higher output cart like 1mV or a stepup.

**Revise** Once put eq. switched from flat to var and adjusted the turnover, the stage or presentation move up and sound became fuller.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tang,

How would you compare this with the CH P1? I am contemplating one of these as an upgrade to my AR Ref 2 phono.

Thanks

Howie

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Tang,

How would you compare this with the CH P1? I am contemplating one of these as an upgrade to my AR Ref 2 phono.

Thanks

Howie

I have heard both
The ch is better

But the Jpa has 4 inputs and variable riaa, and very very good natural and quiet

If you have old jazz or mono makes huge difference

You can get variable eq module for ch but limited selection

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang,

Thanks

Howie
Hello Howie,

I did compare the CH, EMT and my Ayon a few weeks back. Is CH better than EMT like awsmone said? I say yes to many aspects. The first day I listened to CH I was so surprised by its ability, I had to write emails to Gian and Kedar to release some excitement out of my blood :eek:. Gian is the one who urged me to try CH.

IMG_3154.JPG

Did I choose CH? No. I listened to them switching back and forth for a week and ended up ordering an EMT. I am also keeping the Ayon.

In another thread I saw people discussing the best phono. I think you maybe able to do a check list and decide which phono you tick boxes most win the contest and CH will come up on top. It could be the best phono, but is it the best phono for you and your system?

The CH is natural through out spectrum. What you will notice right away is its sky clear detail wide open sound. All instruments are laid out cleanly without any particular distinctiveness or hard edges. Almost like when I hear Atlas on SAT the first time...well not exactly..the Atlas does make some instrument distinctive. The soundstage of CH is a bit panorama but set back a little comparing to the EMT. Size and scale of images are about the same.

No need to discuss about transparency, resoultion, natural tone, quietness, dynamic, instrument seperation, these three phonos provide them more than sufficiently. Some criteria, one phono is "a bit" better than the others vice versa, but doesnt mean that bit extras make the others drop down from A grade to A-.

Differences I heard from my system are in areas of tone density, vividness, the degree of energy radiating from each instrument, the musical "pop" that to me bring aliveness and involvement. The tube EMT and Ayon have more. Not a B+ to A- more. It is more of a A- to A or A+ in a sense. My Ayon is king on these aspects but I admit the sound is less refined and has less high extension than both EMT and CH.

My system with SAT and top carts already gives me excellent details, extreme resolution, quietness, layers, seperation, things that are highlights of CH. I dont need much more of these and the EMT doesnt make anything worse. While EMT has almost the same level of texture, density, vivid, liveliness as my Ayon, it also gives my system more refinement in sound and better highs.

I will have at least six arms and need more Phono so I picked EMT. Too bad Thailand dont have a Lamm dealer otherwise I would try the LP1 too.

In term of features, the CH wins hands down. It could play with any carts you can imagine and has so many options and equalisation you may want, all digitally control. What I dont like about the EMT is the high gain input is still not so high.. at least 5db lower than Ayon. With very low output cart like Anna and Atlas, I had to turn the volume up abnormally from what I am used to. Although EMT has four inputs. Three of them are low gain for carts with 1mV or more..a lot more. So you basically leave with only one input to play with modern low moving coil. I asked EMT to do two inputs for very low mc for me and they would call it MkIII. You need to adjust the turnover knob to fit the years of your record play too. Sound presentation will be different.

So, people can say whatever brand of phono is the best, I dont really care. At this level they are all excellent. It is what fit my preference and synergize my system is what makes the best phono for me.

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: amadeus and bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think even at lower levels, there is a tussle between valve and SS phonos. It depends on what music you listen to and what carts you have. So ideally one should try both, whether EMT and CH, or at lower price levels say for example Thoress and Burmester. I think one should choose their favorite valve phono and compare to the likes of CH to decide

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
There isn't the best phono,or best amp,there are some very good phono or amp and we have to match them in our system and room
Tango has all tube,so is a perfect match with tube phono,and CH P1 can be very good in a TT System because has a natural mid with very extended and sweet high and good control on the bass
Then in top brand i think is better have a synergy with same pre and phono
P1 is clever also because you can develop in future bringing it in mono with 2 X1,so 4 stack and in this case i think can be amazing

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Hi Tang

Did you try the ch in current mode and what carts did u use with ch ?

Thx

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Tang

Did you try the ch in current mode and what carts did u use with ch ?

Thx

I tried with Opus1 and Coralstone. But mostly with Opus1 because too much cable switching gave me backache. Yes, in current mode.

Kind regards,
Tang

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Hello Howie,

I did compare the CH, EMT and my Ayon a few weeks back. Is CH better than EMT like awsmone said? I say yes to many aspects. The first day I listened to CH I was so surprised by its ability, I had to write emails to Gian and Kedar to release some excitement out of my blood :eek:. Gian is the one who urged me to try CH.

View attachment 37123

Did I choose CH? No. I listened to them switching back and forth for a week and ended up ordering an EMT. I am also keeping the Ayon.

In another thread I saw people discussing the best phono. I think you maybe able to do a check list and decide which phono you tick boxes most win the contest and CH will come up on top. It could be the best phono, but is it the best phono for you and your system?

The CH is natural through out spectrum. What you will notice right away is its sky clear detail wide open sound. All instruments are laid out cleanly without any particular distinctiveness or hard edges. Almost like when I hear Atlas on SAT the first time...well not exactly..the Atlas does make some instrument distinctive. The soundstage of CH is a bit panorama but set back a little comparing to the EMT. Size and scale of images are about the same.

No need to discuss about transparency, resoultion, natural tone, quietness, dynamic, instrument seperation, these three phonos provide them more than sufficiently. Some criteria, one phono is "a bit" better than the others vice versa, but doesnt mean that bit extras make the others drop down from A grade to A-.

Differences I heard from my system are in areas of tone density, vividness, the degree of energy radiating from each instrument, the musical "pop" that to me bring aliveness and involvement. The tube EMT and Ayon have more. Not a B+ to A- more. It is more of a A- to A or A+ in a sense. My Ayon is king on these aspects but I admit the sound is less refined and has less high extension than both EMT and CH.

My system with SAT and top carts already gives me excellent details, extreme resolution, quietness, layers, seperation, things that are highlights of CH. I dont need much more of these and the EMT doesnt make anything worse. While EMT has almost the same level of texture, density, vivid, liveliness as my Ayon, it also gives my system more refinement in sound and better highs.

I will have at least six arms and need more Phono so I picked EMT. Too bad Thailand dont have a Lamm dealer otherwise I would try the LP1 too.

In term of features, the CH wins hands down. It could play with any carts you can imagine and has so many options and equalisation you may want, all digitally control. What I dont like about the EMT is the high gain input is still not so high.. at least 5db lower than Ayon. With very low output cart like Anna and Atlas, I had to turn the volume up abnormally from what I am used to. Although EMT has four inputs. Three of them are low gain for carts with 1mV or more..a lot more. So you basically leave with only one input to play with modern low moving coil. I asked EMT to do two inputs for very low mc for me and they would call it MkIII. You need to adjust the turnover knob to fit the years of your record play too. Sound presentation will be different.

So, people can say whatever brand of phono is the best, I dont really care. At this level they are all excellent. It is what fit my preference and synergize my system is what makes the best phono for me.

Kind regards,
Tang

Thank you Tang for the very comprehensive reply. It’s interesting that you didn’t go with the CH. I have an Anna waiting in the wings and I am wondering if the low output will also be a problem... Is there much difference in MSRP between the two?

Thanks

Howie

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
There isn't the best phono,or best amp,there are some very good phono or amp and we have to match them in our system and room
Tango has all tube,so is a perfect match with tube phono,and CH P1 can be very good in a TT System because has a natural mid with very extended and sweet high and good control on the bass
Then in top brand i think is better have a synergy with same pre and phono
P1 is clever also because you can develop in future bringing it in mono with 2 X1,so 4 stack and in this case i think can be amazing

I am also all Valves so it makes me wonder if EMT might be a better choice. Will really have to try and demo them but together is almost impossible.

Howie

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thank you Tang for the very comprehensive reply. It’s interesting that you didn’t go with the CH. I have an Anna waiting in the wings and I am wondering if the low output will also be a problem... Is there much difference in MSRP between the two?

Thanks

Howie

Dear Howie,

I dont know the retail price of both. The price that I am paying for the EmT is pretty much the same as the price I can buy the P1+X1. As I mentioned before the high gain of EMT is not so high, it is best to demo in your system with carts you have. To be honest to you, the P1+X1 is excellent and a safer bet.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I also wrote this in another forum.

"EMT JPA66 MkII - Has all the good stuff of Ayon but a tiny bit less dynamic. If I use Siltech Triple Crown power cord the dynamic will be at least as good as the Ayon. Excellent instrument seperation, plus the refinement of CH. Three mc inputs. One mm input. Input1 for >1mV cart. Input2 for >0.2mV cart. Input3 for mc 5mV cart. Input4 for mm cart. You can ask EMT to make Input3 to be same as Input2. High gain of Input2 is still a lot lower than the Ayon, at least 5db lower. Continous adjustment gain and load of each input on the fly."

Tang

Reactions: bonzo75

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Dear Howie,

I dont know the retail price of both. The price that I am paying for the EmT is pretty much the same as the price I can buy the P1+X1. As I mentioned before the high gain of EMT is not so high, it is best to demo in your system with carts you have. To be honest to you, the P1+X1 is excellent and a safer bet.

Kind regards,
Tang

Thanks. I guess that makes the EMT quite expensive!

howie

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing