Opinions on the Magico V3?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I find it quite curious that there no mention of the formidable Rockport or Evolution Acoustics speakers in this discussion .. These to me along with the Von Scweikert are amongs the best box speakers one should look into ... The real contenders... I particulalrly like the modular concept of the Evolution Acoustics MM series where one can grow up to the MM3 from the MM1 ...

I mentioned early on that the Rockport Ankaa is at the top my list. Evolution is out of the question - one single dealer on the other side of the country - although I really like the principles of their designs.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Evolution is out of the question - one single dealer on the other side of the country - although I really like the principles of their designs.

And why not... the designer of the Evolution Acoustics speakers (Kevin Malmgren) was a designer at Von Schweikert. They do share similarities.

I've heard every speaker in the Magico line (except for Ultimate II) in many venues and have not liked any of them.

I agree with others that you should also look into the Sophia III, VR-5 and the Evolutions. The best part as said about the Evolutions is that they are modular and you can add as funds become available. Jonathan is a stand up guy that stands behind his products.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The best part as said about the Evolutions is that they are modular and you can add as funds become available. Jonathan is a stand up guy that stands behind his products.

Portins omitted.

The YG Acoustics is also modular and can be upgraded with your progression in audio.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
And why not... the designer of the Evolution Acoustics speakers (Kevin Malmgren) was a designer at Von Schweikert. They do share similarities.

Just not willing to make the trip. The line needs more industry support for me to consider it.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Let's get back to the V3... Magico claims the cones of their drivers weigh 7 grams. Is that low or high? Seems quite high????

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I've heard both V3s and Sashas many times and ultimately prefer V3s (although at different dealers---in fact, dealers can't sell both thanks to Dave Wilson). I find them inherently more musical and use a much better tweeter to my ears. Sashas are also harder to drive, ironically, despite not having a sealed cabinet. From an engineering point of view, I much prefer Magico--which now makes most of their own drivers. (the V3 is a modded ring radiator still, but that will soon change i bet). I did not hear a midbass to bass transition problem that Marty notices---although unlike most Wilsons, they don't have exaggerated bass. I almost purchased Maxx2s---but just did not feel ultimately i would be happy with that egregious bass boost even in my large room. Wilson has pretty much just been refining the same speaker/concept for 10 years, and the latest iterations are clearly a leap above the 6 and 7s or yesteryear.... while Magico seems to be pushing the envelope a bit more. Of course ymmv and this all comes from someone who has owned Wilson in the past.

I'm not sure how the Sasha yields more resolution since it shares the tweet and mid with the Sophia3 and Maxx3---and now both crossovers are at the bottom. In fact, I'm not sure why folks would buy the Sasha now. I would step up to Maxx3 or just buy Sophia3s. 5hz in bass isn't worth 10k to me, but to each his own.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing