New Speaker launched in Munich - Limited Edition - B1 Decade

B1d May 2015.jpg

THE DECADE EDITION
OVAL B1d

Dear Friends

We are delighted to announce the addition of a limited edition revised OVAL B! loudspeaker to our range.
The speaker assumes the flagship position in the range due to its incredible performance and advanced construction.
We must congratulate Jo and his engineering team for this excellent work and completing this project in record time!

Currently on display at the Munich High End Show, listeners have been amazed at how close the speaker sounds to a GIYA.

The new model, although looking similar to the OVAL B1 we all know, is in fact very very different.
Some of the important differences:

GIYA TYPE VACUUM INFUSED QUADRAXIAL GLASS CABINET offering reduced mass and increased rigidity
GIYA G4 MASS DRIVER MOTOR ASSEMBLIES offering greater shove resulting in fuller tighter bass and better LF definition
NEW D26 AND D50 DRIVER TRIM RINGS offering better protection to the driver diaphragms
COMPLETELY NEW FILTER TOPOLOGIES resulting in a more open better defined soundstage
NEW SHAPED PORTS to match the new bass loading
NEW FORMED BAFFLES FRONT AND REAR offering a modernised appearance and lower diffraction.
NEW FULL GIYA TYPE MAGNETICALLY COUPLING GRILLES FRONT AND REAR
NEW TERMINAL TRAY POSITION offering easier access for spade type connectors.

We will only manufacture 200 pairs of these extraordinary loudspeakers, each individually labeled indicating the number in the limited series.

The finishes are limited to FERRARI CORSA RED and PIANO BLACK.
The price point is $28,000.00 per pair.
We hope to be in full production in October this year.

Should you be at the Munich show and have not listened to these amazing speakers, please do so today, tomorrow or Sunday. We are at HALL 4 E G09.

Philip Guttentag
Vivid Audio

I listened briefly to the B1 Decade yesterday, the speakers had approx two hours of break-in; performance seems v close to that of a Giya, not as much physical bass output as a K1, but tighter, better defined and I am assured that it plays considerably lower than any Oval series speaker. B1d were driven by the Ayre AX5 amp and QB9 DAC; a lovely sounding combination.

Not quite the mid & HF resolution of the Giyas, but certainly noticeably clearer than any other Oval speaker. It offers truly terrific performance for such a compact package. To my eyes, the B1 has always been the prettiest of the Oval series and the Ferrari Corsa red is stunning. I could easily live with these in my office.

B1D.jpg
The new tweeter grills are a terrific addition as is the new magnetically attached metal grills. The base on the production units will be slightly thicker. The ports have been redesigned to a more conventional shape.

So for those lucky few who can afford the additional cost of the Limited Edition Decade, its certainly Vivid's most complete speaker system yet. The B1 will continue in the line @ $17k, though it will get the upgraded tweeter grills in a few months time.

Last edited:

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
amazing upgrade it seems , but I *really* wish vivid could do something better with the grilles..at least plasticise the sharp edges...

I agree that the grills are not perfect, at least the tweeters will soon be less vulnerable.
I should mention it to Laurence Dickie tomorrow; thanks for reminding me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing