BB King passes... we have lost another!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I just heard tonight that one of the very best blues guitarists of all time passed away....:(

Lucille and the rest of the world is crying tonight.....:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

RIP Blues Boy King.

number95

May 14, 2014
I just heard tonight that one of the very best blues guitarists of all time passed away....:(

RIP Blues Boy King.

Just learned he passed away, too sad, he was one the best among his peers. Went to music store now to find anything related to him, found B. B. King Live At The Regal vinyl and got, at least feeling better.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
Woke up to this news. Terrible news. The man lived a long and wonderful live. RIP BB.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
RIP BB. I will listen to you tonight.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
One of my favorite live performers, will be missed greatly. :(

I saw him years ago on New Years Eve at The Strand in Redondo Beach, so I guess you can say the show lasted two years! :)

After the show we went back behind the building and got invited onto his tour bus for a couple minutes, chatted briefly and left. Very gracious man, appreciated his fans.

I went to his book signing many years ago got a signed copy. A good read and a good life lessons. If anyone had a reason to be bitter in life it would be him. Instead he persevered and made a good life for himself and made millions smile.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

RIP Blues Boy King.

What a shame! We knew it was right around the corner from the news reports...

His influence and artistry cannot be measured.

I had the great pleasure of seeing Mr. Riley B. King twice..once with the great Bobby Bland.

R.I.P.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
R.I.P. Mr. King! Thank you so much for the music! I also had the pleasure of seeing him, although only once, with John Lee Hooker, Etta James and several others.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
R.I.P. Mr. King! Thank you so much for the music! I also had the pleasure of seeing him, although only once, with John Lee Hooker, Etta James and several others.

That must have been one heck of a show.

He will be missed

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
That must have been one heck of a show.

He will be missed

It was Steve! Add Buddy Guy, Junior Wells & The All-Stars and Bela Fleck to the list. All outdoors at the wonderful Molson Amphitheatre.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Buddy Guy is a must see and Etta James can be downright nasty live, but I mean that in a very very good way.

Lucille gently weeps today

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I'm listening to the box set Ladies & Gentleman..Mr. B.B. King. 4 CD set that is just superb.

HIGHLY recommend it. Great over view. What power and soul in the music.

There are several good box sets available as well.

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
I'll BB missing him

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I attended a BB King Concert at the Doral Hotel in Miami Beach sometime in the 80's, and got the nerve to try and visit him backstage after the show. There were no groupies, security, or handlers. I simply knocked on his dressing room door and he invited me in. He was unbelievably humble and kind and we spoke for about 20 minutes on music and of course, stereo. I asked him what he played at home and it ranged from Robert Johnson to the Stones. As to what he played it on, he had no idea as "some friend set the damn thing up". I left on cloud nine as if I had been ordained by the man himself. Wonderful man.

Nothing can diminish his legacy so I will take this opportunity to encourage readers to hear one of the two greatest living blues guitarists on the planet. The first is Buddy Whittington, who held the esteemed guitar chair in the John Mayall Band for 10 years (2003-2013) and who has recently gone out on his own. He doesn't tour much, but if you can, don't miss him. He is from Ft. Worth so most commonly can be seen playing somewhere in Texas. If you're talking Texas style Blues guitar, nobody can touch him, at least not since the death of SRV. The other unbelievable guitarist to check out is Melvin Taylor, who is the epitome of the Chicago Blues style of playing. Melvin tours somewhat (I saw him in Telluride 2 years ago), but his home base is the humble Rosa's Lounge in Chicago, where he plays with some regularity (next is June 19/20). When he does play, all the great blues cognescenti and players of Chicago all come out of the woodworks to listen and sometimes join him on stage spontaneously (most notably Sugar Blue- harmonica player of legend). What is suprising to me, is that his guitar doesn't spontaneously self-combust and burn Rosa's to the ground every time he plays. Yes, I exaggerate a little, but believe me, his playing does not.

Both of these guys will never be as well known as BB King, but they currently define the pinnacle of blues guitar playing and are highly worth seeing in person.

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
The other unbelievable guitarist to check out is Melvin Taylor, who is the epitome of the Chicago Blues style of playing. Melvin tours somewhat (I saw him in Telluride 2 years ago), but his home base is the humble Rosa's Lounge in Chicago, where he plays with some regularity (next is June 19/20). When he does play, the all the great blues cognescenti and players of Chicago all come out of the woodworks to listen and sometimes join him on stage spontaneously (most notably Sugar Blue- harmonica player of legend). What is suprising to me, is that his guitar doesn't spontaneously self-combust and burn Rosa's to the ground every time he plays. Yes, I exaggerate a little, but believe me, his playing does not.

Big fan of Melvin, though I still lean towards Ronnie Earl.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I attended a BB King Concert at the Doral Hotel in Miami Beach sometime in the 80's, and got the nerve to try and visit him backstage after the show. There were no groupies, security, or handlers. I simply knocked on his dressing room door and he invited me in. He was unbelievably humble and kind and we spoke for about 20 minutes on music and of course, stereo. I asked him what he played at home and it ranged from Robert Johnson to the Stones. As to what he played it on, he had no idea as "some friend set the damn thing up". I left on cloud nine as if I had been ordained by the man himself. Wonderful man.

Great story! Thank you for sharing that :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing