Good Music for testing Audio Equipment

Kefas

May 21, 2014
And there was a lot of counterfeit cassette tapes as well and the same thing is happening all over again with illegal downloads and chinese illegal CD copies.

And don't forget that the legal streaming services, especially Sportify, hardly pay the artist any royalties.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
I think Pioneer has been reading this thread:) as they are distributing publicity photos for their new MQA player playing the first album on your list.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/09/onkyo-pioneer-announce-mqa-equipped-xdp-100r-dap/

Well, I understand why. If you are introducing a new hi-res player, you better demo it with a real audiophile recording.

Kefas

May 21, 2014
Spotify claims to pay an average of .72 cents (that’s $0.0072) per stream to rights owners; based on the numbers presented here, TIDAL’s average payout to the label was about 1.2 cents ($0.012). This number comes from taking the average Label Share Net and dividing it by the average Unit Price (bottom of the chart). Note that TIDAL seems to earn an average of $0.014 per stream, but that’s before the company takes their cut.
source:http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/05/so-far-tidals-royalty-payouts-nearly-double-spotifys/
Those poor musicians. I fear for the future of quality music.

Jun 23, 2016
just listen and enjoy.

listen to the tune, the song, the emotion, not the numbers, which are complex and hard to measure anyway.

recorded music NEVER sounds right to me, i play live music, but i find a way to enjoy it anyway.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
I was just reminded of the value of classic Eurythmics pop standards, for system testing. Tests overall competence, the capability of a setup to handle 'big' recorded material, weaknesses in the ability for the sound to be unravelled are very obvious.

Any song or album in particular?

APP

Oct 1, 2014
I was just reminded of the value of classic Eurythmics pop standards, for system testing. Tests overall competence, the capability of a setup to handle 'big' recorded material, weaknesses in the ability for the sound to be unravelled are very obvious.

This IS a good song;

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Was never into Nirvana, and last listening session with the audio friend down the road, he said, "Gotta listen to 'Smells Like Teen Spirit!" - and I could see what he meant. This is regarded as an iconic song now for other reasons, but the recording in itself is quite brilliant for testing out a system. On many rigs this would be pretty mucky to listen to, but all the qualities are there for pinpointing system issues. In particular, the drumming is quite magical - overall, veerry impressive ... plus, of course, most people know this backwards ... ;).

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
ACTD_003__117030__07282016031458-3708_1.jpg

live direct to disc 180g

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
A bit of controversial 'heresy', but I would say the Nirvana Unplugged is actually better recorded-mixed-mastered than the Eric Clapton one.
It has surprised some people I know who would never had thought that.
Cheers
Orb

I'm going to have to revisit both as I did not pick up on this.

Be interesting to see what you think.
Cheers
Orb

Just going through some music threads and found I have yet to respond to this. My apologies, but I'll listen to both this afternoon and get back to you later.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Unplugged - Eric Clapton vs Nirvana

I took the time to listen to both albums in full and my conclusion is that I can't say one was better recorded than the other. There is a different feel to each with the Nirvana disc sounding a bit more sparse and intimate. Perhaps this is the result of the mastering applied as opposed to it being better recorded. Hard to say...at least for me. It could also be the venue size that added to the different feel..I dont know.

The other thing to remember is that both albums are available on various pressings and a much later reissue as well in the case of EC. I think the EC disc had 3 different masterings.

These are the pressings used in this comparison:
https://www.discogs.com/Eric-Clapton-Unplugged/release/4870409
https://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-MTV-Unplugged-In-New-York/release/2545156

Both albums are awesome and I'm also a huge fan of the UNPLUGGED releases, so I'm easily satisfied. Maybe I'm not the best person to ask. Haha!

BTW: I'm listening to the MOV Alice in Chains - Unplugged vinyl as I type this. Highly recommended! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing