Good Music for testing Audio Equipment

APP

Oct 1, 2014
This, from an audiophile perspective, is hard to believe;
The Return Of The Cassette Tape: National Audio Company Still Makes 10 Million Audiocassettes Per Year
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/81272/20150902/the-return-of-the-cassette-tape-national-audio-company-still-makes-10-million-audiocassettes-per-year.htm

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Tapes

I used to have a full array of 70's Japanese gear, like many of us did I'm sure. I'll fire it up this year for sure after some commitments for projects around the house.
Do you still have some of your old tapes, and if so how are they holding up?

APP

Oct 1, 2014
One of my all time favorite albums is Sarah Vaughans ''After Hours''.
Very intimate recording just Sarah with Mundell Lowe on guitar and George Duvivier on bass.
I have it on Cd as well as on LP and both have a lot of tape noise.
You can hear it hear on this you tube video as well.
Did they have noise reduction back then?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wiki shows that recording from 1961. And Dolby noise reduction in 1965. So it doesn't seem like it was an option there on that front.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Wiki shows that recording from 1961. And Dolby noise reduction in 1965. So it doesn't seem like it was an option there on that front.

Thanks.
But could it not be applied to the remastering?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Do you still have some of your old tapes, and if so how are they holding up?

I gave them away about 15 years ago. Some of the tapes were 25-30 yrs old and still held up very well. I gave them to a friend who was really into vintage gear, and especially cassette decks.

Kefas

May 21, 2014
I am busy transferring my CD collection and a few cassette tapes to my PC.
I have a number of recorded CDR CD's giving to me by friends who recorded some of their vinyl.
Several of these CDR cd'd are no longer playable but the cassette tapes are fine some even 30 years old.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
I am busy transferring my CD collection and a few cassette tapes to my PC.
I have a number of recorded CDR CD's giving to me by friends who recorded some of their vinyl.
Several of these CDR cd'd are no longer playable but the cassette tapes are fine some even 30 years old.

I have had the same experience. The quality of some CDR's is very bad.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
But the quality of cassette tapes is not only bad...they are lost...the music is no more...it's just distortion with the background music of the other side of the tape. ...Commercial cassette tapes I'm talking about here. ...From the seventies; say 1975 to 1985.

* Good music selections to test audio equipment? ...Classical orchestral music recordings from Reference Recordings music record label (Prof Keith Johnson).

• Copland: Symphony No.3 (HDCD)
• Mephisto & Co. (HDCD)
• Stravinsky (HDCD)
• Pomp & Pipes! (HDCD)
• Bruckner Symph. No 9 (HDCD)

...And about 50-100 more from RR label.

Other labels: Sheffield (Drum Track Record), Opus 3 (Eric Bibb), Channel Classics, ECM (Jazz), AudioQuest (Doug McLeod - Blues), Silence, Chesky, Three Blind Mice, ...

? Patricia Barber: all her CD/SACDs. Jazz ?

Last edited:

APP

Oct 1, 2014
But the quality of cassette tapes is not only bad...they are lost...the music is no more...it's just distortion with the background music of the other side of the tape. ...Commercial cassette tapes I'm talking about here. ...From the seventies; say 1975 to 1985.

* Good music selections to test audio equipment? ...Classical orchestral music recordings from Reference Recordings music record label (Prof Keith Johnson).

• Copland: Symphony No.3 (HDCD)
• Mephisto & Co. (HDCD)
• Stravinsky (HDCD)
• Pomp & Pipes! (HDCD)
• Bruckner Symph. No 9 (HDCD)

...And about 50-100 more from RR label.

Other labels: Sheffield (Drum Track Record), Opus 3 (Eric Bibb), Channel Classics, ECM (Jazz), AudioQuest (Doug McLeod - Blues), Silence, Chesky, Three Blind Mice, ...

? Patricia Barber: all her CD/SACDs. Jazz ?

I have Doug McLeod albums from the RR label, will check out AudioQuest too:)

Kefas

May 21, 2014
Yes, those tapes where terrible low quality, almost a scam, it was better to buy empty BASF's and copy your self:)

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I used to have a full array of 70's Japanese gear, like many of us did I'm sure. I'll fire it up this year for sure after some commitments for projects around the house.

Speaking of, see below. I am not too proud, snicker if you must, butt I suffer from the same disease as y'all!

Temporary set up as we look for a home

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing