Good Music for testing Audio Equipment

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
Here is another golden oldie, great definition of each instrument, and depth and warmth. Guitar distorts a bit now and then but who cares, with tubes and tape, no problem.
Heart Strings at 29;04 is the key tune.

Kefas

May 21, 2014
Still watching it but is a fascinating video. Quite unexpected answers. Thanks for posting it Migo.

Same here. Thanks,Migo........ Who knows maybe he will invite a rapper one day....:)

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Here is another golden oldie, great definition of each instrument, and depth and warmth. Guitar distorts a bit now and then but who cares, with tubes and tape, no problem.
Heart Strings at 29;04 is the key tune.

These recordings where done, three channels I believe, direct to 2 inch tape. Natural tape compression, no problem when driving the signal a bit hard.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Very nice indeed, I have cd, a bit too much compression for my overall taste, but great music and very good lows.

Kefas

May 21, 2014
These recordings where done, three channels I believe, direct to 2 inch tape. Natural tape compression, no problem when driving the signal a bit hard.

ah yes.. tape compression. Probably the secret to the great sound of those 50'and 60' albums.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
ah yes.. tape compression. Probably the secret to the great sound of those 50'and 60' albums.

and those 2 inch were later used for 8 and 16 tracks I was told. maybe that is why late '50 sounds better than late '60 recordings.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
It's coming back;
Reel-to-reel tape is the new vinyl
http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/5/9409563/reel-to-reel-tape-retro-audio-trend

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I had a soft spot for that Pioneer deck when it first came out in 1970s. Cute with those blue VF display! Had to repair a few but don't recall what for now.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I bought one about a year ago.........still haven't done anything with it though as I bought a new TT and some other stuff. Not an inexpensive hobby either.

Pioneer RT-909.jpg

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
I bought one about a year ago.........still haven't done anything with it though as I bought a new TT and some other stuff. Not an inexpensive hobby either.

View attachment 25777

thanks johnny, that's cool! fire it up:)

the aesthetic and build reminds me of my dads 70's jap hifi.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I used to have a full array of 70's Japanese gear, like many of us did I'm sure. I'll fire it up this year for sure after some commitments for projects around the house.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Very cool. Does it do 15 ips? I seem to recall it did not.

Only 3.75 and 7.5, but that's ok as I can't afford those 15ips tapes they make anyway. I only bought it make some compilations of various genres or styles, and perhaps duplicate some of my more expensive vinyl.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Only 3.75 and 7.5, but that's ok as I can't afford those 15ips tapes they make anyway. I only bought it make some compilations of various genres or styles, and perhaps duplicate some of my more expensive vinyl.
Well, if you ever decide you are not going to do that and want to sell the unit, drop me a line :). I love to have it for sentimental reasons.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing