Good Music for testing Audio Equipment

Kefas

May 21, 2014

The 2nd release in the discovering the music of Robert Johnson series is here and it is fantastic. It even surpasses Up jumped The Devil, imo.
But RedBook Cd only, I don't see it on the Sound Liaison or Native DSD sites.
+1. Fantastic album. The opening 'soundscape vignette' track sequencing into Little Queen of Spades is pure delight. It's a concept album. I find the description in the liner notes very fitting;
"Stones in My Passway" is more than a homage to Robert Johnson; it reimagines his music in a way that feels both familiar and exhilaratingly new.
The meticulously engineered soundscape vignettes enhance the immersive experience, enveloping the listener in a world where the music comes alive.
Carmen Gomes Inc.'s recording of Robert Johnson's songs stands as a testament to their artistic vision and commitment to capturing the essence of the blues. Through their road movie-inspired soundscape approach and Frans de Rond's engineering prowess, they transport Johnson's music to the 21st century, validating its enduring beauty and ensuring its continued resonance with audiophiles and music enthusiasts alike.''

Kefas

May 21, 2014
It has just been released in hi-res; CARMEN GOMES INC. - STONES IN MY PASSWAY
Yes and the album got a very fine review in Jazzflits;
“Engineer Frans de Rond has captured the entire setting in a way that allows you to experience the superb interplay of these seasoned musicians. This is so well recorded that turning up the volume knob significantly only seems make the music even more intense not louder”

"Stones In My Passway’ is part two of ‘’Discovering the music of Robert Johnson’’ series in
which Carmen Gomes Inc. breathes new life into the musical legacy of Robert Johnson….
…The short atmospheric pieces between the tracks, where you are taken to the scene of the events like in a radio play, are a real treasure. Thus, the album opens with a beautiful intro where a passing train, wind noise, and a single guitar chord transports you to the deep south of the United States.
…Carmen sings the blues straight from the heart, profoundly, with authenticity and heartfelt sincerity, eschewing any unnecessary embellishments.
…Her band has mastered this repertoire completely.
The slow tempos are beautifully exploited, with each musician contributing sparingly but with authority. In their renditions of Johnson's pieces, you feel the clammy, sweaty air in the ominous dark shady clubs, where the blues was interspersed with drinking parties.and fights……
Engineer Frans de Rond has captured the entire setting in a way that allows you to experience the superb interplay of these seasoned musicians. This is so well recorded that turning up the volume knob significantly only seems to make the music even more intense not louder..
With this release, an impressively good album has been added to Carmen's discography.
My suggestion is to buy both part one (Up Jumped The Devil) and part two (Stones in My Passway as they don't fall short of each other and only become more precious with time.”
S.v. Aelst in ‘JazzFlits’

Lineup: Carmen Gomes (vocals), Folker Tettero (guitar), Peter Bjørnild (bass), Bert Kamsteeg (drums) Frans de Rond (engineer)."

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

I think one can get a lot of mileage out of a piece like this when evaluating a system. Especially if you give it the juice.

Reactions: APP

24bit

Jun 14, 2013

The 2nd release in the discovering the music of Robert Johnson series is here and it is fantastic. It even surpasses Up jumped The Devil, imo.
But RedBook Cd only, I don't see it on the Sound Liaison or Native DSD sites.
It's now released in DXD , flac, DSD by SOUND LIAISON and Native DSD and is starting to gather very good reviews, understandably so!
“The intimacy of the vocals, the expression of the guitar, and the refined sounds of the double bass, the dynamics of the percussion, a phenomenal experience on a refined hi-fi set. Highly recommended during these gray winter days!" Eric De Boer, in Hifi.

Carmen Gomes sings the blues straight from the heart, profoundly, with authenticity and heartfelt sincerity, eschewing any unnecessary embellishments.
…Her band has mastered this repertoire completely.
The slow tempos are beautifully exploited, with each musician contributing sparingly but with authority. In their renditions of Johnson's pieces, you feel the clammy, sweaty air in the ominous dark shady clubs, where the blues was interspersed with drinking parties and fights……
Engineer Frans de Rond has captured the entire setting in a way that allows you to experience the superb interplay of these seasoned musicians. This is so well recorded that turning up the volume knob significantly only seems to make the music even more intense not louder.. S.v. Aelst in ‘JazzFlits’

Reactions: APP

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
and the Stones in My Passway album has been nominated for the album of the year at Native DSD.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing