Good Music for testing Audio Equipment

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Bought the 24bit hi-res download at the SOUND LIAISON WEBSITE
I think the Flac at the CARMEN GOMES BAND CAMP WEBSITE is 16bit just like the CD or ?
But anyhow it's a superb album. And it is so much more than a tribute album. They really make the songs their own. A blues album with an ECM vibe. Well done! and that low 27hz A note from the bass in the beginning...whew...makes my .......rattle :)

What puzzles me is that I can hear/feel the low note on my good equipment but I would think that there might be a probleem when playing is on normal speakers but there it sounds fine too, although I dont feel the low then.

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
I guess small speakers just don't react to such low frequencies. But on good speakers or headphones the sound is "sensational" like Joe w says.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
This early Macleod album is available signed at Doug's website. It's one of his finest:
https://www.doug-macleod.com/store.html

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Here is a glowing review of Carmen Gomes Inc's One Mic recording "Don't You Cry" written by HRAudio's ]Mark Werlin.
album is available from these distributeurs; https://www.soundliaison.com/
https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/music (Redbook CD, Mp3, wav 44.1)
https://www.soundliaison.com/ (Flac, DXD, DSD)https://www.nativedsd.com/albums/SL1030A-dont-you-cry( DSD)

And the album is widely used by audio reviewers, as here by Hifi news and Record review.:
Quad Vena II
INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER
….the warmth and detail of this Quad amplifier is just as much in evidence with the immediacy of the single mike, single take recordings on Carmen Gomes Inc.'s Don't You Cry set [Sound Liaison SL1030A; DSD256]. Playing the music in from my stripped-out 'music' Mac mini via the Vena II's USB input, the sense of the musicians sitting in a group around the microphone is palpable, as is the emotion in Gomes's voice as she cracks on the final phrases of Gershwin's 'Summertime'.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
This is a great album. Superb one mic. The most intimate yet of all the one mic albums.
Amulet download
......the ears and expertise of engineer Frans de Rond, ensures perfect imaging, great sense of depth, superior realism and complete phase coherence.
I love the result. There is in my opinion a no better tool for optimizing speaker placement and finding the optimal listening position, than a One Microphone recording done with the C700S.

Kefas

May 21, 2014
This is a great album. Superb one mic. The most intimate yet of all the one mic albums.
Amulet download
I completely agree. I love the purity of the sound and Michael Moore the clarinet player, is absolutely amazing, every note is so heartfelt and to the point. Incredible album.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
If you have big speakers

Reactions: rando

24bit

Jun 14, 2013
Amulet download
Very very well done. It is as having the two masters in my listening room.
And if I may recommend Paul Berner's Road To Memphis album; ROAD TO MEMPHIS

and his newly discovered album with Monty Alexander live at Bubbas in 1983 ; -live-at-bubbas

Maybe the live album is a bit less audiophile but the Memphis album sounds superb.

Reactions: rubinken and APP

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
This is from his pre-audiophile period?
I have this album and his 2 years earlier Come to Find album, both on Audioquest (mid '90's). Before Reference Records, but still with some heavy duty audiophile credentials - Bernie Grundman mastering, Audioquest label, with JVC XRCD parallel release. According to Acoustic Sounds, the previous Come to Find album was analogue and they issued a vinyl version a few years ago with Kevin Grey remastering from the original analogue tapes. According to the write up of Audioquest Records (later Sledgehammer) it says they did analog recordings, not digital. So looks pretty audiophile (great sound) to me. Larry

Last edited:
Reactions: 24bit and APP

APP

Oct 1, 2014
I have this album and his 2 years earlier Come to Find album, both on Audioquest (mid '90's). Before Reference Records, but still with some heavy duty audiophile credentials - Bernie Grundman mastering, Audioquest label, with JVC XRCD parallel release. According to Acoustic Sounds, the previous Come to Find album was analogue and they issued a vinyl version a few years ago with Kevin Grey remastering from the original analogue tapes. According to the write up of Audioquest Records (later Sledgehammer) it says they did analog recordings, not digital. So looks pretty audiophile (great sound) to me. Larry
Well researched answer! Now I understand why it sounds so good. Thanks :)

Reactions: 24bit

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
Amulet download
There a someone out there who agrees with you. Great review of the album in hifi critic:
"This is about as simple a recording as you’re ever going to hear: two musicians, one microphone and each track performed live, straight to DXD recording – and it’s totally enchanting…all that spontaneity comes over in spades in this set, which has the usual Sound Liaison recording quality, plus that unmistakable sense of two musicians just bouncing off each other, improvising and making the shape of the songs up as they went along. This is as live as it gets, with a real "in the room with the musicians" impression.'"—Andrew Everard, Hifi Critic

Reactions: APP and MadFloyd

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

You knew it was just a matter of time before somebody would suggest MJ while listening at reasonably loud volume levels.

Reactions: 24bit and Kefas

APP

Oct 1, 2014
There a someone out there who agrees with you. Great review of the album in hifi critic:
"This is about as simple a recording as you’re ever going to hear: two musicians, one microphone and each track performed live, straight to DXD recording – and it’s totally enchanting…all that spontaneity comes over in spades in this set, which has the usual Sound Liaison recording quality, plus that unmistakable sense of two musicians just bouncing off each other, improvising and making the shape of the songs up as they went along. This is as live as it gets, with a real "in the room with the musicians" impression.'"—Andrew Everard, Hifi Critic
Yes indeed that is a good and precise revview.
I played the album for a couple of friends over for dinner Sunday but at first when I said I was going to play a clarinet/bass duet they said; "oh no please don't play any weird jazz right after the meal" ....I put on track 5 "Night Ride Home" anyway and everyone just fell quite and listened through the whole track only commenting on how good it sounded. For anyone interested listen here; Tr.5 Night Ride Home

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing