Good Music for testing Audio Equipment

APP

Oct 1, 2014
The Carmen Gomes album is now available as a CD via the Band Camp website. It's a pretty good deal as you get the download as well if you buy the CD:
https://carmengomes.bandcamp.com/

Mind you that the download from the BandCamp site is not high resolution. The high resolution version is only available at the Sound Liaison site; www.soundliaison.com

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Here is a video where he is testning the test pressing of the vinyl on some serious equipment;

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I've been evaluating some PCs and interconnects recently. Although I used both LP and Digital sources for critical evaluations, LP was preferred. The 5 LPs that I used almost exclusively for this exercise were
1) Ikuyo Kamiya, Beethoven* ?– Piano Sonata No. 23 in F Minor, Op 57 "Appassionata" 1977 RCA available at Discogs

Unknown.jpeg

This 45 rpm Direct to disc is one of the greatest solo piano recordings ever made. If your system doesn’t reproduce this piano well, no need to do any further evaluation. I have a Steinway Model A my listening room so I’m pretty familiar with what a real piano sounds like.

2) The King's Singers ?– Lollipops, EMI, 1975
Available at Discogs

Unknown-1.jpeg

Terrific for male vocals and soundstage.

3) Ernest Ansermet ?– The Royal Ballet Gala Performances
Original 1958 but remastered by Classic Records and available at Analog Productions

Analogue Productions ?– APC 6065,

Unknown-2.jpeg

Arguable the greatest RCA Living Stereo releases among many. A reference for symphonic music, dynamics, and soundstage.

4) Soulution Audio Reference Disc

Unknown-3.jpeg

Spectacular recording, but “Mating dance” on side 1 is a reference for drums, bass and dynamics. There is also an outstanding chamber piece (Scherzo) and choral (O clarissa mater) among many others fine selections.

Available at

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Soulution-Spectacular-Reference-Disc-180g-LP/productinfo/TMILP9014/

5) Cantate Domino; Torsten Nilsson, Marianne Mellnäs, Alf Linder ?– Proprius ?– PROP 7762

Unknown-4.jpeg

The original was released in 1976 but there have been many remasters. All are excellent

This LP should need no introduction as it has been a reference disc for years for choral, soundstage, and female solo voice.

Stille Nacht and Mariae Wiegenlied are two of my favorite “go-to” tracks.

Reactions: gadawg58 and APP

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Marty, if you recall I had played that Appassionata at your place.

Personally I don't like using that Beethoven Appassionata any more as the main audition LP because it doesn't tell me much. Yes it is quite dynamic and when done right, can sound real, but when it does not sound right, the wrongness does not seem to affect how the other LPs sound. For example, if I hear piano or violin problems in other LPs, they usually extend throughout (mostly) to other LPs. But any problem noted while auditioning this LP does not necessarily extend so. It is too audiophile a master to matter to me. I use it as an extra audition LP, after I have been through the main ones.

Also, based on LP demos from the general, I have added more originals, and then some audiophile reissues, as they give different flavors.

In other news, I have become quite an admirer of the Soulution 720 preamp (they must have moved on from there). I haven't had a proper compare of the power amp to comment

Reactions: Tango

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Personally I don't like using that Beethoven Appassionata any more as the main audition LP because it doesn't tell me much. Yes it is quite dynamic and when done right, can sound real, but when it does not sound right, the wrongness does not seem to affect how the other LPs sound. For example, if I hear piano or violin problems in other LPs, they usually extend throughout (mostly) to other LPs. But any problem noted while auditioning this LP does not necessarily extend so. It is too audiophile a master to matter to me. I use it as an extra audition LP, after I have been through the main ones.

Well, frankly I do not "use" this LP, but love listening to it. I really like lkuyo's rendition and having it as a great recording is a plus for me.

Can you let us know which lp's do you listen to and what do you look for on these lp's. You love to audition, that is why I am interested.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, I use a mix of non reissues (decca, RCA, EMI, harmonia mundi), and reissues. The former is more important to me.

The mix also goes across solo instruments to orchestra. And of course all audition LPs should have the audition segment easily accessible.

You will see a lot of them mentioned in Tang's report. I will update my audition recordings list later too lazy to put up pics and names over the phone. But for piano specifically, for a low cost, you will be safe picking up any nice Brendel or Richter performance on Philips, and the Rubinstein RCA (US) emperor. If you are not traveling like I do, and trying only at home, you can also try some expensive, verticut ones (ortofon lyrec and other tubed recordings). These have more natural tone and higher dynamic range. The General will have to be your purchase source here. All these will show you much more relevant (Extrapolatable) information as compared to a very audiophile mastered LP which becomes very specific to that LP.

Finally, you can add some monos, and RIAA vs non RIAA. I think the best analog systems are set up for monos and overlaid with stereo, though these auditions are less relevant to many.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

Also, based on LP demos from the general, I have added more originals, and then some audiophile reissues, as they give different flavors.

In other news, I have become quite an admirer of the Soulution 720 preamp (they must have moved on from there). I haven't had a proper compare of the power amp to comment

Have to respectfully disagree Ked. Yes, you were the one that turned me on to this recording, and a great recording it is. But if this doesn't sound like piano, sorry, something is wrong. I'm glad kodomo liked the playing. From my perspective it's not what I would consider a world class performance and is plagued by quite a few errors. But oh, what sound.

If you like the 720 preamp, you'll probably love the 725. The same is true for the 700 series amp in comparison to the newer 701/711 and 511 series. In the 725 pre and the 701/711/511 they are using a very different power supply which has dramatically changed the sound for the better. The 720/700 was considered more analytic sounding compared to the current lines (using the new PS,) which have quite a nice amount of triode flavor with great timbre and musiclity combined with unlimited power and dynamics.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes I heard that about the Soulution model numbers, I will explore more's. The difference in 720 and 725 cost is high, and the 720 is good enough. No doubt 725 is better, I just won't pay that much, even used price, for a preamp

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Have to respectfully disagree Ked. Yes, you were the one that turned me on to this recording, and a great recording it is. But if this doesn't sound like piano, sorry, something is wrong. I'm glad kodomo liked the playing. From my perspective it's not what I would consider a world class performance and is plagued by quite a few errors. But oh, what sound.

That record is too heart beat raising. Ked came to my place and took a liberty to go through records the General sent me while I was in meetings. He found this one just as good but less showoff. Not a piano though. He told me not to show it in WBF until he has bought it. He should have bought it by now. So here it is.

7AB195A1-FF01-4D6A-87BD-5AC88DA59B27.jpeg

Kind regards,
Tang ;)

Reactions: bonzo75 and amadeus

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This one is also excellent.

5DB02F33-ECFC-4FC3-B1F7-034D4C7C6654.jpeg

Tang :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That record is too heart beat raising. Ked came to my place and took a liberty to go through records the General sent me while I was in meetings. He found this one just as good but less showoff. Not a piano though. He told me not to show it in WBF until he has bought it. He should have bought it by now. So here it is.

View attachment 45750

Kind regards,
Tang ;)

Lol - that Harpsichord. I did mention it in your report Tang, when not heard with the Stradivarius, the Harpsichord sounds like the top half has been cut off. It is an amazing test but in most cases it will fail and not show the brilliant highs and strikes unless the cart is something similar to a Strad.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
when not heard with the Stradivarius, the Harpsichord sounds like the top half has been cut off. It is an amazing test but in most cases it will fail and not show the brilliant highs and strikes unless the cart is something similar to a Strad.

Unless you have heard it not shaved off before, you might not even realize that. The Strad, Opus and ZYX can do highs without cut off that you correctly said.

Tang

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Frederick Fennel conducting the Dallas Wind Ensemble on Reference Recordings label. People with small speakers should not even bother trying to play this at the Conductors level, as it will just bottom out most wimpy woofers. Been using this demo track to destroy woofers up to 18 inches in diameter for years. I always challenge the owner's though and let them be in control of the volume so that they don't blame it on me.

Reactions: APP

Kefas

May 21, 2014
Check this!
New one mic recording with Carmen Gomes from Sound Liaison....absolutely amazing...superb sound stage.
This really sounds as if the band is standing in my living room. And the music is gorgeous.
https://www.soundliaison.com/

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
If you listen to Soundcloud (you should), then I recommend this track. All of his tracks sound great though.

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-nix-double-bass%2Fj-s-bach-suite-no-6-in-d
Sounds like it was recorded with only two mics and with minimal processing. The cello is to the left, in a large space, easily visualized in three dimensions, and there are countless colors and tones.

I love this recording.

Attachments

• 1549408148474.png
    1549408148474.png
    391.9 KB · Views: 4

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing