T.H.E. Show Newport 2015-Who's Going.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
A room which improved dramatically from Fri to Sat, the Kryon Kronos room, also had no analog source; in my top ten rooms today.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
A room which improved dramatically from Fri to Sat, the Kryon Kronos room, also had no analog source; in my top ten rooms today.

I was very impressed by this system, to me the sleeper system of the show, so basic so good! Forgot to ask MSRP, and it is their smaller system.

The Oden/Magico room sounded good, as did the Boulder/Focal room. The Boulder room another simple basic outstanding system.

But I have not been to the 4th 10th and 11th floors yet, that is for tomorrow.

And the TechDas rooms kind of had be baffled.

Thought the Legacy room sounded pretty bad. Very boomy bass and mid bass. High end very directional. Bunch of reps that would not be quiet for even 10 seconds telling lies to one another.

Last edited:

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Once again today extremely disappointed in mbl, the worst I've heard them sound. Open reel tape sounded like mp3. And apparently I wasn't the only one, Mikey Fremer left after 1 (yes, that's one) minute.

I really haven't noticed the source correlation Sam has. Plenty of LP's sounded bad, lots of server/DACs, even playing Red Book, sounded really good. Even tape (in the mbl room) could sound not so hot. In fact two of my better sounding rooms, Light Harmonic and Nordost, had no analog sources. Room size was definitely an issue, though, the bigger definitely the better.

Curious about MBL, Rob :b My initial foray into the room, Friday, had me departing within minutes, too; however, I later returned and upon hearing a different source -- analog tape -- as well as a CD of mine resulted in a perception that was more favorable than previous impressions.

Rob, I'm wondering...would you characterize the MBL's as deficient in bass?

Agreed...numerous servers and DAC's, e.g., Lampizator, sounded very nice. The distinction I am suggesting is the stellar rooms had gear lavishing us in pure analog. :cool:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I think the Kyron Kronos is sold as a system inc. amp and cables for about $100k. The MBL had a "glare" using analog tape that sounded like cheap, old digital; both Fri and Sat afternoon. My best room so far, slightly ahead of the Dart/Ea room (which was playing server digital 2 out of 3 times so far for me), is the HiFiOne room (Steve McCormack and others) which played Sonorus (tape) and Wadax (server/DAC). Most time listening to the server but honestly didn't prefer either. At one point a couple of people came into the room late yesterday while the tape was rolling but the server actually playing and commented on how good tape sounded (which it did, but not right then).

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
My cents is that I think the Kyron Kronos other speaker system is going to be a hard sell at the end of the day mainly due to our nature and it just being offered as a complete system - our nature being wanting to see if the SQ can be improved trying different components up the chain feeding the actual speakers but due to their design does not allow.

It's great to read that some are reporting experiencing some good sounding set-ups - norm for me when I have attended show's isn't so and that included the RMAF Show last year - only a couple stood out.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I'd say sound is pretty good.

Overall, I'd definitely say this is the best show I've ever been too- since maybe the Stereophile shows in the 90s. The energy, music, crowds, and sound have just been over the top fun. And I haven't been to 3 entire floors yet :)

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Rob,

I'm uncertain if I made it to the Kyron room -- I did make it to one of the KR Audio rooms, but the other KR Audio room I went to had its door closed and locked.
I want to visit the Bill Parrish/Joe Kubala/'X' room, today. It seems to me that this combination with 'X' electronics consistently provide good, if not great sound...show after show.

Thanks for sharing your impressions of MBL. Did you or anyone hear the Meridien presentation?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Many thanks for the kind comments DaveyF. I enjoyed visiting the few rooms with you. Alexander's room is one of the must-visits, as is Steve McCormack's room.

As for value-for-money, the Funk Firm + Tanner and Friedl + Heed room was outstanding. I brought Anne Bisson to the room, she sang with her vinyl, and everybody there thought that she sounded exactly on the money. "Cheating" by using a Transfiguration cartridge that cost more than the turntable and electronics combined helped......

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Thanks, Gary! I'll try to hit the floor today and see some rooms... So busy so far that I haven't been able to see much of anything!

and of course, everybody's welcome to stop by our three rooms, 1147, 1148 and 1149!

alexandre

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

That's interesting. When I went into the Kryon room on Friday, the sound was ok...but certainly not in the top 10. Any idea as to what they did to improve yesterday?
BTW, as to the MBL room, I don't even bother there anymore. There systems just do nothing for me. I have heard them so many times and always feel that they are bloated and
not realistic. The electronics are so "stylized" that I just can't appreciate the vibe.
Ricky Brown's room ( Hi Fi one) was nice, although I felt his space was a little strange and the wall extension half way between the speakers was problematical. The sound on Friday was
good, however, I felt the Kaiser's were a tad thin sounding and a little bit imprecise in their imaging. ( Probably/certainly a room artifact).

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Davey,

Did you have an opportunity to visit the EA/DZ room?

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Prana Fidelity Vayu fs Speakers Prana Purna Pre/Amp Basis 2200 Signature TT Basis Super Arm Miyajima Shilabe cart.

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Really liked the Cary TL300d Pre/DAC & CAD-120SMKII AMP. The Tannoy Revolution XT 8F entry level was nice. The guys in the room were very informative and easy to talk to and had all the answers to my questions.

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Naim and Focal in the Cabana room sounded great despite clock issues, Best playback of Keith Don't Go for the bajillianth time.

Liked

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I was away on vacation and didn't return home until last evening so today was my only chance to get an overview of the show. I managed to grab a bunch of photos and I need to go through them and try to color correct them and will have them posted under a separate thread tomorrow.

Some preliminary observations

1. The new venue (Irvine Hotel) is an absolute winner and clearly a huge step above the two hotels by the John Wayne Airport. Elevator service was not even an issue. T.H.E. Show IMO has blossomed to be a terrific shoe and well attended. This one seemed no exception and I would bet that in the next few years CES will be a non issue for high end audio and this one and RMAF will become this countries major players. If I had a gripe with the hotel it would be that the staff was simply overwhelmed with the crowds and understaffed to provide quick service around the hotel

2. High end audio...well guys, I hate to say that we are a dying breed and in the absence of wooing the next generation the "dark side" the industry as we have known it for the past 40 years will become a has been. On every floor was every type of DAC and streamer. There were speakers that streamed music and were connected with nothing but a small USB cable. Music on the digital side was heard through every type of Player (including Gary L. Koh's recently released Muse, which I had the privilege of hearing with Gary's description of what's in the box).

3. High Rez PCM sounds wonderful but I have to say DSD is better and 2xDSD is best but that's just me

4. Having said that turntables and vinyl and tonearms abounded from entry level all the way up to the Clearaudio Statement". Not only that but so many more rooms than last year were showing tape with the systems.

5. I must have been lucky in hearing everything on the last day but as they say "one man's passion is another man's poison'. I heard the Mbl room and gentlemen to my ears it was superb but the only source I was hearing was tape. I just heard nothing of the tinny sound reported earlier or that it sounded like mp3. In fact sitting in front of me in the wee spot was a gentleman who got up and spoke after we listened to Willie Nelson singing "You're always on my mind" and introduced himself as Michael Jackson's drummer who travelled as well with the Jackson's as well as Madonna and others. He was mesmerized by the sound and said he heard things that he has never heard before in that song. Suffice it to say he loved it

6. For my ears, the big rooms and big speakers still provided the most satisfaction. I heard most of the big speakers except Magico as their doors were alway locked when I came by. I will get my thoughts together and give a feeling of my best rooms with the proviso that I was only there for the day and didn't hear everything and what I did was not as long as usual

7. It was really good to meet up with so many WBF members and thanks to RonR who spent the day with me.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Harbeth HL5 Plus Naim Audio Super Nait 2 Int Amp, Super Line Phono Stage, Well Tempered Lab Amadeus GTA MkII TT, Symmetrex Tonearm, Emt MC Cart impressed!

impressed

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Silverline Audio Speakers sounded fantastic, didn't catch the identity of the other hardware as the conversation turned quickly to music.

They had the same speakers hooked up to 80k of WAVAC in another room, sounded much better in this room.

These speakers sounded amazing 15k bargain.

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
The Hotel Irvine was a phenomenal place for this show.

Much better venue, car show sucked, but the cigar lounge sucked even more because it wasn't there. looking forward to sipping a bourbon and smoking a cigar by the pool.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing