T.H.E. Show Newport 2015-Who's Going.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
So was your room, I was in the room Friday at about 10:15, my first Demo of the show, loved it, well done!

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
So was your room, I was in the room Friday at about 10:15, my first Demo of the show, loved it, well done!

I sure hope you were talking about our room :)

If so, thank you so much.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Jonathan, I wish that you were a little less "biased" about the gear you rep. Although, I have to laud you for sticking by it at all costs!
I came into your room after I had just left the room that Garth Leerer had put together. To be frank, there was no reason to stay that long, given the difference in sound between the two.
Your speakers are just not to my liking...sorry IF that offends you.
To me, they do NOT sound like the real thing at ALL....and since I have been listening to music for decades I'm entitled to my opinion. I may suggest that you go out and listen to real musicians playing in a real space....Like I have just returned from doing. There are NO systems that truly come close to this.....IMHO. BTW, since I am NOT a dealer of any competing gear, I have no horse in any race....unlike you.:D

DaveyF, not trying to pick a fight with you and I haven't heard the room in question (nor have I ever heard EA speakers or Dartzeel electronics) so I feel I'm not biased in any way... but I have to ask: why would you criticize one specific system that doesn't 'sound like the real thing at ALL' when you also say 'There are NO systems that truly come close'? If you believe the latter and also recognize that we all have our opinions and preferences, why would you go out of your way to try to damage the reputation of a speaker manufacturer (who DOES have a horse in the race)?

Jaguar

Aug 2, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I was in the room on Sunday.

DaveyF, not trying to pick a fight with you and I haven't heard the room in question (nor have I ever heard EA speakers or Dartzeel electronics) so I feel I'm not biased in any way... but I have to ask: why would you criticize one specific system that doesn't 'sound like the real thing at ALL' when you also say 'There are NO systems that truly come close'? If you believe the latter and also recognize that we all have our opinions and preferences, why would you go out of your way to try to damage the reputation of a speaker manufacturer (who DOES have a horse in the race)?

This sounds like a lot of drama to me. I was in the room on Sunday and it sounded fantastic. This particular room (just the room) was probably one of the most ideal I saw at the show for a set up. If nothing else, give JTinn credit for pulling the speakers out almost to the center line of the room, so the sound opened up evenly throughout; so many other rooms had their speakers pressed up against the back wall, with predictable results. The setup was creative and the attention to detail, superb.

As for boasting about your products as a manufacturer or dealer, I'm sure I sound like this all the time with the products Jaguar offers and I'm not sure why some people find this off-putting, annoying or threatening. Surely if you offer a product and you could find anything else out there you thought was better for the money you'd offer that one instead, so why wouldn't you believe you're offering the best? A minor exception may be some hifi stores that I think offer certain brands, because the names attracts a lot of easy sales, yet the performance is rather mediocre. In general the margins and other considerations on these products are all in the same range, so in the end it makes sense to focus on what excites you and what you believe will excite your customers.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

Ian, I was asked to comment in this thread about my feelings on this particular room. I gave my opinion...which seems like I am not entitled to do!:( Did I state that other rooms were akin to the sound of 'live' music...hell no. I did NOT go out of my way to "damage" anybody or anything, simply stated my opinion on the sound of this room. Problem is some people don't like any opinion that doesn't jive with their own....so be it. JTinn, sure doesn't like it that ANYONE can question the sound in his room, or of ANY of his gear ( Remember he HAS to defend it, he's the manufacturer/dealer/ rep and god knows what else). BTW, i actually like the Dart gear, but just not paired with the EA speakers. Maybe YMMV.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Opinions are certainly just that. I think the bone of contention Davey was that you opened the door and hovered for 15-20 seconds before leaving followed by your opinion. I value people's opinions but only if they are more meaningfully based and I'm guessing this is where there objection was

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I had the pleasure of visiting a few rooms with DaveyF during the Newport Show. Our musical and sonic preference differ in some ways and are similar in others. We shared our private opinions with each other, and while I refuse as a designer to critique in a public forum on the sound of another designer's loudspeakers, in private I do share my opinion. Going through the few rooms together, I did not feel that he was malicious or dismissive at all. Some systems rocked our boat, others didn't. I know the speakers he uses well, and while they do have a signature, sonically they are extremely attractive TO ME and obviously to him. That's why he lives with them.

Some designers have a thick skin - I am one of those and don't feel the need to jump and defend every critique of my designs as everyone is entitled to their opinion. Others are a bit more sensitive.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Some designers have a thick skin - I am one of those and don't feel the need to jump and defend every critique of my designs as everyone is entitled to their opinion. Others are a bit more sensitive.

Thank-you Gary!!

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Only positive opinions are allowed, I guess even if you don't have that special knowledge. wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing