Roon is now live!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Is this like Moog or Spotify or other music streaming websites?

Is any music downloadable?

Davkj

Nov 4, 2012
PA
Roon is a software package for digital music libraries. It was developed by the same folks that created Sooloos - think of it as the Sooloos software unbundled from the proprietary hardware. It is subscription based - you are basically paying for access to their metadata, which the software uses to create an information rich view of your music collection. The software also integrates with the Tidal service, expanding the software beyond your local library. The video at the link below demonstrates some of the features.
Roon Walkthru

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Is it used for listening to music you do not own?

Is the metadata information about music you do own?

If I do not have a digital music library in a server, does Roon do anything for me?

Davkj

Nov 4, 2012
PA
Is it used for listening to music you do not own? - Only if you have a subscription to the Tidal service.

Is the metadata information about music you do own? - Yes, it scans your music library and gathers metadata based on your collection.

If I do not have a digital music library in a server, does Roon do anything for me? - Only if you subscribe to Tidal and use their library.

Replies within quote.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks. Watched the video. Pretty nice implementation. Target audience is someone with very large library and lots of interest in investigating relationships between them. I tend to find such a system useful for a music service, not nearly as much for my personal library.

I went to get the trial but fell in a ditch. After giving it all of my info it then asks for the credit card information for the trial. No can do. Pretty rude not telling me that before I gave it my info. Trial software should just be that: trial with the license expiring after 14 days. Not hoping that people give the credit card, forget about the thing and the $10/month clock starts to run.

And do I read that right that it only supports Windows 8??? That would be a non-starter for me.

Seems like good software but significant missteps above.

Davkj

Nov 4, 2012
PA
I agree with you Amir - a big misstep on their part. It's enough for me to pass on the trial as well, despite my interest. FYI..it does support W7.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Same thing with TIDAL. Free 14 day trial (hi rez side) fill out all the forms and your FREE trial begins after you give CC info.

Nope, and now NEVER gonna do it, bad PR.

crion

Oct 29, 2014
Roon will run on just about any recent PC or Mac. Performance and quality of experience will depend on the size of your music collection and the performance of your hardware. Check out this comment for the nitty grity details.

Recommended Hardware
Intel Core i5, Ivy Bridge+
4GB RAM
SSD boot drive
1440 x 900 Resolution

Supported Operating Systems
Windows 7+ (8.1 recommended)
OS X 10.9+ (10.10 recommended)
Android 4.4+ (5.0 recommended)

Note: OpenGL 3.0 support is required to run Roon.

Android is coming and then it will find your Roon PC/Mac server instantly.

It's so much more modern and better flow than using the Native apps (with R&B and whatnot clutter). You forget you are actually not using your own library all the time but also Tidals vast library(when you have the subscription).

PS. Amir, the pro version will interface with Home Automation systems like Crestron.

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Love it so far. Apple should buy them and make this the new iTunes. It's that good.

alexandre

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Some more screen shots on the site would be nice to give an ideal of its look and functionality.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
From what I see in the above posts, I'll pass.

The "free trial" sounds like 14 free days and then they bill you when you forget to tell them you only wanted to try it out and decided you didn't want it after the second free day.

Sounds like a rip-off.

If the free trial is 14 days, the service should just stop after that time until they get a credit card.

One of the great scams in recent years is to give a long enough free trial period so you forget about it and then they start to bill you on a repeating basis even though you don't want the service.

Last edited:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Gotta agree with everybody that the sign up process could be a lot sleazier, without the requirement of a credit card.
I don't mind, but I understand those that do object to this kind of process.

alexandre

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Some more screen shots on the site would be nice to give an ideal of its look and functionality.

Did not, just went to the site. Will give it a look thx.

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
What I understand is that it is all about meta data be it your own collection or a streaming service (Tidal).
Servers for Win and OSX, clients for Android , iOS.
Pricing $119 annually, $499 for a lifetime subscription, and $999 for an upcoming Pro lifetime subscription for Home Automation

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
From what I see in the above posts, I'll pass.

The "free trial" sounds like 14 free days and then they bill you when you forget to tell them you only wanted to try it out and decided you didn't want it after the second free day.

Sounds like a rip-off.

If the free trial is 14 days, the service should just stop after that time until they get a credit card.

One of the great scams in recent years is to give a long enough free trial period so you forget about it and then they start to bill you on a repeating basis even though you don't want the service.
The "best" part is usually this: you can sign up online but to cancel you must call some phone number! That way you get signed up to sit through waiting to talk to someone, then another sales pitch, and then after half hour wasted maybe you get them to disconnect it.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The "best" part is usually this: you can sign up online but to cancel you must call some phone number! That way you get signed up to sit through waiting to talk to someone, then another sales pitch, and then after half hour wasted maybe you get them to disconnect it.

I have had that happen with other services!

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

Roon has a e-mail address for canceling your subscription. cancel@roonlabs.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing