Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Festival

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Every year, in the first full week of October, the Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Festival is held. Balloonists from all over the world converge on our city to participate in mass ascensions (where hundreds of balloons lift off together), special races, handling events, and night time "glows". The glows are incredibly beautiful, where the balloons inflate (while remaining on the ground) and are lit up by the burner flames. There are special shapes of all kinds, with Darth Vader, the Pepsi can, and others being family favorites.

This year's event is called Earth, Wind, and Flyers. The Hot Air Balloon Festival is the most photographed event on Earth every year. We typically host several million visitors (don't try to get a hotel room unless you've booked months in advance!) and from 500-1000 balloons.

A quick Google search will provide more information and some images.

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The reason that the balloonists come from all over to attend this fiesta is the unique topological contour of the Albuquerque area. The city is located in a "bowl", surrounded by mountains and mesas. This distinctive configuration provides a wind condition known as the "box". The winds blow from north to south at one elevation, and reverse direction at a higher elevation, thus recirculating the air over the city. For balloonists, this means a take-off and landing in a short distance from each other, even though a long flight time can occur in between.

There are only a few areas in the world that exhibit this type of wind phenomenon. Chateau d'Eau in Switzerland reportedly has a similar topology, and is also a ballooning hot spot.

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It has been one of my photographic dreams from the first day I saw the imagery from the festival to go and capture it with my camera. Had no idea it was that popular though. I am not fond of fighting crowds for anything :).

BTW, 90 miles south, is a quieter spectacle put up by nature in a place called Basque Del Apache. It is home to tens of thousands of migratory cranes (to and from their way to Siberia!), geese, and other wild life. Except when the main festival starts, it is a quiet place and the experience lasts through January. It is top 5 birding place in US and a true haven for photographers. At the risk of sidetracking this thread :), here are some images (with my first ever digital camera!):

The famous fly out. You have not lived until thousands of birds create "wind" blowing your face from just a few feet above you!

The above mentioned cranes:

And sunsets (and sunrises) to die for:

A few more here: http://amirviews.smugmug.com/Wildlife/Bosque-Del-Apache/10824730_DwyYv#754934828_LdBW3

So if you make it to the baloon festival, or don't, you may want to check out this other American jewel....

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Amir,

Did you need an umbrella to capture those photos?

Unknown to many US residents, New Mexico has some of the most stunning scenery in the country. The Sandia Peak Tram is the world's longest aerial tram car ride, and carries you to the top of the mountains while traversing deep gorges. There's a high-quality restaurant at the top, affording unbelievable views while eating.

We actually got to ride in a hot air balloon several years ago. It's a unique experience that words are insufficient to describe. Rides are available at the fiesta for a nominal fee.

Lee

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir,

No. None of the birds thought of dropping any "gifts." :) Although the thought has occurred to me to wear a hat next time I am there especially since they fly out occurs because of a Coyote scarring them (scared animal usually "goes to bathroom").

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
2010 Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta

Here's a few pics:

I hope you enjoy these. It's an overwhelming experience, and you cannot turly understand just how big some of these special shapes are until you stand underneath one.

Some traditional highlights are the pair of bumblebees, who the pilots have learned to make "kiss" by rotating them together as shown.

The biggest crowd is often around Darth Vader (from Belgium), whose entourage is complete with Storm Troopers and Darth Vader himself in full costume to assist with crowd control around the inflating balloon.

Lee

Attachments

• DSC_0394..jpg
    DSC_0394..jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 378
  • DSC_0452..jpg
    DSC_0452..jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 372
  • DSC_0451..jpg
    DSC_0451..jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 367
  • DSC_0511..jpg
    DSC_0511..jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 492
  • DSC_0490..jpg
    DSC_0490..jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 376

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Here's a few more

Here's a kangaroo family and a rooster, more from the special shapes mass ascension:

Attachments

• DSC_0460..jpg
    DSC_0460..jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 435
  • DSC_0518..jpg
    DSC_0518..jpg
    296 KB · Views: 463

JasonI

Dec 3, 2010
I flew too.

This is the crew we were with - friends and family

We decided to fly in the desert. Too many balloons were launching and sitting still over the site, so we had to go somewhere else.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Amir,

Unknown to many US residents, New Mexico has some of the most stunning scenery in the country. The Sandia Peak Tram is the world's longest aerial tram car ride, and carries you to the top of the mountains while traversing deep gorges. There's a high-quality restaurant at the top, affording unbelievable views while eating.

We actually got to ride in a hot air balloon several years ago. It's a unique experience that words are insufficient to describe. Rides are available at the fiesta for a nominal fee.

Lee

I used to stay a day or two at Albuquerque on my way to Taos, NM for the sky season - every year it was larger and larger with great cultural and natural scenes activities. LTNS...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing