My bargin bin finds for the day!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Wow! Which bin did you look in???

We were just discussing in the car today (I car-pool in to work with my sister) that the people browsing the used LP bins in the local Half Price Bookstore has transitioned from one/two white-haired white guys to now mostly groups of 20-somethings. We haven't found anything nice and cheap for a long time. Not even at the Goodwill store I used to haunt.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've found the same thing. The thrift-type shops have really dried up in terms of finding anything decent. I continue to visit them however as it's fun way to spend an hour or so.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Was just driving down the road and saw this Thrift store and stopped in.
Picked up some Sinatra cd's some Vivaldi 4 seasons and a Verve Blue note cd.
Interesting enough they had a pair of DCM Time Windows too.
I have the Goodwill app on my phone and I locate the store nearest every job site I am on.
Hade to stop using it when out with the wife.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
So far Gaite Parisienne RCA LM-1817 S3 is very quiet after a good cleaning.

You know you scored when you picked up the stereo version of Gaite.
BTW, the other day at my local Goodwill, i picked up these: th.jpg , th-1.jpg , th-2.jpg

You have to be a little lucky, but the Goodwill store is still valid, IMO.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Nice find! :)

All the stereo Gaites I have found so far have been beat to snot. I hold hope for the 10 or 11 s someday.

Very impressed on how good this mono one sounds, did not expect that at all.

My best Goodwill find was basically handed to me. I was digging through the bin and the girl came out with the next load and set it in front of me. About 30 mint condition Rock/Pop rock albums from the late 70's. Not a spindle mark on any of them, No ring wear, no bent covers, everything still shiny.
They looked like they were played once to tape and put away.

They all came home with me at a buck a pop.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The Classic Records 1997 re-issue isn't a slouch either. It's a little more dynamic but a little less resolved than the first press. I prefer listening to the re-issue purely because it has much quieter vinyl than my copy of the first press.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I went to a bargain basement sale at the Cleveland Music School Settlement years ago and got a sealed copy of Balalaika Favorites for $1.00! The hunt is a fun part of the hobby!

Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing