Sensible options for a daily-use wrist watch

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Just added this one to my collection.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Nice! Enjoy! Rolex manufacture, i believe?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
i bought a Breitling Aerospace in 1991 and it still works perfectly today. 20 years and no repair work (fingers crossed)...just battery replacement every 3-4 years. (NB: i also own my late Grandfather's 1959 Omega Constellation...it has had no maintenance since 1989...it is an automatic and still keeps accurate time.)
My wife bought me a Breitling Aerospace in 1992 and I would like to make the same statements you made. However, it was lost one boozy night out and I replaced it with a modern iteration. So, I am only 5 years into it now. I wear it all the time(!) except for formal ocassions.

Kal

TheAudioAssociation

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Anaheim Hills, CA
Just added this one to the daily rotation while my Panerai is being serviced. The pictures really don't do it justice.

Here's a pic of my PAM 220 Steel Titanium which was a daily use watch.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
for me its a SS rolex GMT black bezel, classic looks and very functional. i like the newest issue ceramic bezel and solid filplock - no hurry to upgrade. cant argue with resale, new ones go up $500 every other year or so. I had a Sub before the GMT but couldnt deal with the double-depth winding crown digging into my hand. I cant get myself to buy a panerai - over sold, widely copied and too big! i see small guys with skinny wrists wearing 'em and it looks lame on them. Im not small and 39 mm still looks better on me than 42+. but hey, different strokes...

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Nice! Enjoy! Rolex manufacture, i believe?

Yes indeed Lloyd, wearing a Rolex for daily use is not a good idea here in Mexico City! :) - this one looks nice, does not call too much attention and has a great intrinsic value.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
May I suggest the Corum titanium bridge as a sensible option for daily-use wrist watch.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm enjoying this rugged daily driver...It's a big watch...45.5mm Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Chrono. I like it better than my Rolex Daytona

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Love it! :) Shouldn't that be "daily diver" though :D

fabinho85

Jan 25, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
Man this forum keeps getting better and better. I came across WBF yesterday looking for infos on Vitus and darTZeel amps since i'm looking to upgrade.

And now i see you guys are into watches too. Awesome, i feel like finally i'm amongst my own kind :D

My choice for daily wear is a IWC Portugese 3714. All my other watches are vintage (Omega, Rolex, Heuer, Rado, Vacheron Constantin,...) but i inherited those from my grandfather who was a watchmaker.

DSC_5578.jpg

You guys have posted some truly amazing watches in this thread. Like some of you on here, my ultimate everyday watch would be a PP Calatrava.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
There has to be one in every crowd, right? :D

I don't know how you guys go through the day with things so big and heavy on your arms. I like my watches, and my women, thin and lightweight. I don't want either tugging on my arm too hard. ;)

Here's my usual. It weighs 23.4 grams, including the strap, and it is 4.3mm thick. Best of all, if I lose it, I'm not out much money. If I lose the thin woman? Well, that would be an altogether different story!

Watch.jpg

I understand that Piaget has a new watch that is also very thin. It might be worth a look-see.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I agree with Mosin with regards to thin watches. I don't like watches the size of Big Ben strapped to my wrist. You have to have really huge wrists to pull that off without looking silly. I have a Seiko watch that I dearly love because I think it looks elegant and it is thin. I cracked the crystal and haven't found a place to replace it yet. Like Mosin, I now have a Citizen watch. It's not as thin as my Seiko, but with regards to watches, thin isn't in. Everybody wants a man-hole cover strapped to their wrists now days.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
There has to be one in every crowd, right? :D

I don't know how you guys go through the day with things so big and heavy on your arms. I like my watches, and my women, thin and lightweight. I don't want either tugging on my arm too hard. ;)

Here's my usual. It weighs 23.4 grams, including the strap, and it is 4.3mm thick. Best of all, if I lose it, I'm not out much money. If I lose the thin woman? Well, that would be an altogether different story!

View attachment 7912

I understand that Piaget has a new watch that is also very thin. It might be worth a look-see.

It just looks like a Cartier to mee..nice watch Mosin.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
It just looks like a Cartier to mee..nice watch Mosin.
Thanks. I like it, and it charges using sunlight.
It is really a cheap throwaway, but I have already ruined a good watch while working on stone. I forgot to remove it, so I am resolved to wearing more or less disposable ones. This one has actually proved to be very durable.

fabinho85

Jan 25, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
I like the look of that Citizen, looks a bit like the Cartier Tank. I really don't mind heavy watches but i can see the benefits in wearing something thin and lightweight.

Have you checked the cars/food/travel section? :)

No, i haven't yet but i'll be sure to check it out. I am really into cars, especially older cars, even though i don't own one and who doesn't like to travel. But i have to admit that when it comes to food i am somewhat of a barbarian. For example i liked the pizza waaayyy better when i was in NY then when i was in Rome :) But maybe that just means i have a lot to learn from this forum...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Thanks. I like it, and it charges using sunlight.
It is really a cheap throwaway, but I have already ruined a good watch while working on stone. I forgot to remove it, so I am resolved to wearing more or less disposable ones. This one has actually proved to be very durable.

Cheap watches are usually durable. Remember the old Timex commercials and slogan: "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking?" There was one commercial where a guy's Timex somehow ended up inside of a tire on his car and when they took the tire off the rim and found the watch it was still working. There was another really gross commercial where a guy put his watch on his night table and his dog took the watch and ate it. The owner had to wait until the dog shat it out, and of course it still worked. Some stories are better kept to yourself. If one of my dogs ate a $10.00 watch, I wouldn't be poking through a pile of dog crap to find it.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Cheap watches are usually durable. Remember the old Timex commercials and slogan: "It takes a licking and keeps on ticking?" There was one commercial where a guy's Timex somehow ended up inside of a tire on his car and when they took the tire off the rim and found the watch it was still working. There was another really gross commercial where a guy put his watch on his night table and his dog took the watch and ate it. The owner had to wait until the dog shat it out, and of course it still worked. Some stories are better kept to yourself. If one of my dogs ate a $10.00 watch, I wouldn't be poking through a pile of dog crap to find it.

Those Timex commercials were done by newscaster John Cameron Swayze. I remember them well

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing