Sensible options for a daily-use wrist watch

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Quite a few Da Vincis for women. Strange that there are none on the website.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Here's what I wear every day

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i bought a Breitling Aerospace in 1991 and it still works perfectly today. 20 years and no repair work (fingers crossed)...just battery replacement every 3-4 years. (NB: i also own my late Grandfather's 1959 Omega Constellation...it has had no maintenance since 1989...it is an automatic and still keeps accurate time.)

DS-21

Aug 23, 2010
My TAG is my knock around watch :)

Agreed, their old S/el makes a nice weekend watch. I like their other designs less. The new Link is a big step back from the S/el, IMO.

Here are my two, both medium-sized face.

My workday watch is this JLC Reverso Grande Taille (stainless and brown croc):

The Reverso works for everything except black-tie really - one really needs a simple round watch with a black croc strap for black tie. Like this vintage JLC I inherited from my father.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Here is a pic if the Calatrava, a very elegant design....

For some reason I think this thread took another direction :)

This is just stunning to these eyes. I've been using the similar Calatrava 3919g - now available as the 5116g - for over a decade; it has proven to be just right for any type of attire; very understated, very elegant.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This is just stunning to these eyes. I've been using the similar Calatrava 3919g - now available as the 5116g - for over a decade; it has proven to be just right for any type of attire; very understated, very elegant.

Superb!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

I will get one - sooner or later..... Nice wrist watch ack!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I will get one - sooner or later..... Nice wrist watch ack!

Thanks, but think twice about getting a manually winding watch -- expensive maintenance...

cactusjack

Aug 29, 2011
I'm a big fan of Luminox watches. I am currently wearing a Luminox 6402. It's 13mm thick and 45mm wide, it has the style and the durability I need - perfect for everyday use.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Thanks, but think twice about getting a manually winding watch -- expensive maintenance...

Not sure if you are just refering to the Calatraba model, since I own a Jaeger thin manual winding model and no issues so far ...

nephilim

Jul 16, 2010
Manila, Philippines
This one is now my daily wear. Built like a tank, and rather plain Jane looking, I love the heavy feel. I've since let go of most my collection and focused on just a few pieces.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Not sure if you are just refering to the Calatraba model, since I own a Jaeger thin manual winding model and no issues so far ...

You never have to calibrate and lubricate?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
You never have to calibrate and lubricate?

And de-magnetize.

I don't know how much it costs here in the US, but I used to have to pay over $2000 a year to keep all my mechanical watches in good running order. I've trimmed the collection hugely since $2000 buys a hundred CDs. How often do you have your mechanical watches serviced - if they are 24/7 on a watch winder?

Next time I go to MikeL's I'll bring my watch to put on his LP de-magnetizer..... and see if it improves its timekeeping :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
How often do you have your mechanical watches serviced - if they are 24/7 on a watch winder?

I have spoken with a few serious collectors (the guys who get first call on a limited edition of 50 Vacherons and invitation to the factory, etc...), a manufacturer and a few retailers. They have all said the every 5 years rule is just to make money. Using modern lubricants which tend not to break down so easily, you could well go further than that before any work needs to be done. My 1962 Omega Constellation from my Grandfather keeps perfect time and have not had it serviced since 1989. Serously. That said, one of my other watches (breguet) needed work after (you guessed it)...5 years. The point is dont just send it in, get them to look at it, pay big fees. If it is keeping good time, leave it for a bit longer...maybe 10.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing