What is the most MUSICAL DAC? DAC for Music Lovers vs. Geeks and Analytic Listeners

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The impression you get with Computer Audio is that the innovators and early adopters in this arena are geeks and engineers who unfortunately spend more time with their computer than listening to real, live music. As a result, most of their recommended components seem to just extract detail but miss the musical whole.

Must Haves:
1. Kick A$$ on PCM
2. Musical naturalness, extract gorgeous tone colors from recording, detail resolution that doesn't take away from musical enjoyment - Individual musical parts must not stand out and get in the way of conveying the musical whole, great macrodynamics, great microdynamics, awesome bass, extract timing of the music from the recording, extended highs, musical transparency (vs. analytical transparency to sources)
3. Be able to turn those old ripped CD's from the 1980s I listened to in college from pathetic to musically engaging
4. Not necessarily sound "analog" in the audiophile way, but sound "analog" like real music

Nice to have: Kick A$$ on DSD (as there is very limited DSD content)

Thread nice to have: As you list your contenders, please let us know what you compared it with, in what system, and with what music
Check out the Lampizator Golden Gate. Superb PCM and KILLER DSD up to 256.

I hear that the Berk Ref is also excellent for PCM, as would be the Bricasti and LH DaVinci Dacs. For $$$, you could also consider the Trinity Dac.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Thanks, Mike. I think PD KILLS on DSD, it's the best I have ever heard for that technology.
I want something that makes PCM sound as good as PD does to DSD.

I'd have to disagree with this. I think the PD does "KILL" on DSD, my experience has been the Lampi holding a slight edge. I hear it side by side with my PD almost everyday. If the creek don't rise and I can beg Lukasz into sending me a Big 7 or GG, if the Lampi is half as good on PCM as it is on DSD, then I'm sold!!

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
How can it be better if it has tubes coloring the sound?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

Tubes color the sound? You mean like tape or different caps in my Pass Labs color the sound? Well paint me a rainbow then. I'm hooked!!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'd have to disagree with this. I think the PD does "KILL" on DSD, my experience has been the Lampi holding a slight edge. I hear it side by side with my PD almost everyday. If the creek don't rise and I can beg Lukasz into sending me a Big 7 or GG, if the Lampi is half as good on PCM as it is on DSD, then I'm sold!!

The Lampi 7 will be better on PCM than the Amber on DSD (of course Lampi DSD will be better than it's own PCM) - by a greal deal because the 7 handles complex music much better than the lower vesions

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013

You'll want to give the Big 7 a listen. My experience with it last year at The Show Newport was that PCM was very impressive on the Big 7. DSD and DSD 128 was even better. And that was on last year's 4th Generation model! :)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Tubes are used to keep the circuit as light as possible, not to add colouration. The final SQ will depend on more than a single parameter, like tubes, chips, pwoer supply, etc. its the combination, ie interplay that influences the final outcome. Thank goodness for the B& DHT lineup, as now the end user also gets a chance to tweak the final output to their liking as well. 101ds sound very different to 2a3s and 45 triodes! You can also play with the recis with different voltage drop prifiles (whether IH or DH) and also with SS rectis with tube adapters as well. Choice is good.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Practice always trumps precept. Try auditioning one to staisfy your curiousity.

Lampis dont sound "tubey" and as the man himself said in his monoandstereo interview, he would use anything,m imcluding bat guano if it can give him the performance he seeks. I cant speak for YOUR personal preference (you are entitled to that), but please understand that your preferenec is not universal, as can be attested to by the many passionate Lampi fans out there. Also, the tread title is about the most MUSICAL sounding Dac.

I dont disagree with your use of the term "usually" but please allow for the fact that it does not apply here.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
As 'light' as possible!
Tubes are 'usually' included to add a nice wedge of second level harmonic distortion, which can sound pleasant.
Remember a DAC is a digital to analogue converter, a converter should be audibly transparent.
Personally I wouldn't use a dac as a tone control, I prefer to hear the file as closely as possible to how it was recorded.
Keith.

Keith with his strawman agruments against tubes again. You need to listen to some. And also go to some live concerts, you live in London, will teach you a few things about reproduction, instead of simply using the term "how the files was recorded". None of us use the dac as a tone control, we use it because it is much superior to Weiss, Esoteric, and other SS brands we have heard in terms of soundstage, details, speed, slam, timbre, decay, and all this at much cheaper rates

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I hear live music every day, it is perfectly fine to enjoy the sound of valves, and the way the design is implemented will hugely affect the sound, for example I asked David Wright to design a valve preamp that only had the smallest 'valve life' and it is only very slightly different to a solid state design.
Valves aren't superior, they don't 'beat' another design they are different because of their technical characteristics ,I do believe it is important to understand why designs sound different.
Ultimately you choose the design you prefer.
Keith.

No, they don't - still doing the strawman argument. I would never say valves beat all other designs. We are not discussing valves vs transistors, we are referring to a particular dac. Point is we have been through the same discussion numerous times on these forums. While your points might be valid, they do become rinse and repeat.

And no, you don't listen to live music. You should though. Let me know if you want to join, you can then contribute more instead of the same anti-valve speech

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Easy now fellas ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
It will come as no surprise, Jack, that I disagree with the premise as well. Very specifically, I disagree with the inaccurate use of the word "extract." If the "analytical" component extracts more, the "musical" component doesn't "extract" its musicality, it adds it, unless it somehow knows how to extract the musical part and leave the other parts behind. You're going to have to tell me how that works...

And by the way, I think a valve in a DAC is about as serious as a paper flower sticking out of a clown's bum. But I'm sure that shocks no one here either.

Tim

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
It will come as no surprise, Jack, that I disagree with the premise as well. Very specifically, I disagree with the inaccurate use of the word "extract." If the "analytical" component extracts more, the "musical" component doesn't "extract" its musicality, it adds it, unless it somehow knows how to extract the musical part and leave the other parts behind. You're going to have to tell me how that works...

And by the way, I think a valve in a DAC is about as serious as a paper flower sticking out of a clown's bum. But I'm sure that shocks no one here either.

Tim

Hmm, it could be compared to the "Uncanny Valley" in graphics and emotive presence (not talking about robotics here but specifically digitally rendered human visuals as a comparable example - HP has a seriously amazing demo and one that is the best I have ever seen mimicking human face).
Musicality is always part of the performance; it is not what is added but in summary could be the subtle nuance of music, so is this conveyed or not from the original performance, is the real question.
Linked a few times in the past those who provide a classical definition of Musicality; it is a definition that exists within the musical world for many with both academic and performing background.

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Hmm, it could be compared to the "Uncanny Valley" in graphics and emotive presence (not talking about robotics here but specifically digitally rendered human visuals as a comparable example - HP has a seriously amazing demo and one that is the best I have ever seen mimicking human face).
Musicality is always part of the performance; it is not what is added but in summary could be the subtle nuance of music, so is this conveyed or not is the real question.
Linked a few times in the past those who provide a classical definition of Musicality; it is a definition that exists within the musical world for many with both academic and performing background.

Cheers
Orb

Is this conveyed where? In the performance or in the reproduction? If we're talking about the reproduction, retrieval of detail in the recording is the thing that will allow the subtle nuance of music to be reproduced to get to your system in the first place. So those who make "musical" vs "analytical" arguments are denying logic, good sense, and reality. The more of the recording you retrieve, the more subtle nuances of the music are available to be reproduced. Can there be distortions in some recordings that are better minimized or not retrieved at all? Sure. But that's not the "retrieval" of musicality, it's the reduction of fidelity. And unless you can turn it off, it will reduce the fidelity of your best recordings too.

This is only controversial to those who want to believe in the objective superiority of their favorite colorations.

Tim

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Is this conveyed where? In the performance or in the reproduction? If we're talking about the reproduction, retrieval of detail in the recording is the thing that will allow the subtle nuance of music to be reproduced to get to your system in the first place. So those who make "musical" vs "analytical" arguments are denying logic, good sense, and reality. The more of the recording you retrieve, the more subtle nuances of the music are available to be reproduced. Can there be distortions in some recordings that are better minimized or not retrieved at all? Sure. But that's not the "retrieval" of musicality, it's the reduction of fidelity. And unless you can turn it off, it will reduce the fidelity of your best recordings too.

This is only controversial to those who want to believe in the objective superiority of their favorite colorations.

Tim
Reduction of fidelity,distortion or coloration is NOT musicality.
I get the feeling you like to go on that coloration and distortion is what those who do not want a system that matches your view on natural/neutral/transparent reproduced sound; I accept many systems have some kind of variation to match preferences but it in many cases this can be subtle (those going the SET class A amps are the minority and even then many use these within their limited specs).
Problem is this is not as simple as you would think; if it was there would be only one product that could be recommended such as Devialet as it has the best measurements overall for digital and amp measurements (when including output impedance/frequency response/distortion/noise/etc).
Being cheeky, when are you buying your Devialet then Tim :)
Also just to clarify the OP title says analytic listening and music lovers, in the specific focus on factor of musicality.
That is my take, which is why I raised the subject of Uncanny Valley and how in some ways it is comparable when looking at it from the digital graphics rendering human face with emotions (these are not real emotions but we identify them as such), and whether they seem natural or not.
I appreciate it is not an ideal analogy but to me an interesting comparison on perceiving what is natural/artificial to us.
Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing