On the Move

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Remember the days when you moved where the work was? Before that, you moved where you studied? Ever hitch up a U-haul trailer? When you had to do this pretty frequently or just didn't know how long a stint would last?

Some of the biggest factors keeping the young music lover from more actively pursuing free space reproduction may not be the lack of funds but rather the hassle of having to move entire systems. Add to that the fact that most apartments are built in such a way that even modest play levels might disturb the neighbours. All this is pretty obvious when one talks to the head-fi folks and they tell you what they like about cans aside from the sound.

While you could lug your flat screen around, it's just as easy to list your screen and pick up a new one at the next stop. Not so easy with audio.

So, I propose this be the thread dedicated to compact systems that are easy to set up, easy to repack and of course easy on the ears without the assumption that young=broke. They are buying Stax, Audeze, etc. etc. :) Let this also be the thread where we go off the beaten path just a bit or even into the woods.

First on my personal list of "wants" if I were to turn back the clock on my circumstances would be a pair of speakers that fit the bill above. One that caught my attention is the Boenicke W5.

W5-and-Sub.jpg

Not only do they sound great, they are small and very flexible when it comes to placement. They can be used on a desktop or on the stands. Now those stands just make me smile. They are tiny! Following the theme, they come in simple boxes WITH HANDLES :D When you settle down they will be right at home with separates later on. In fact, these just might make you take the plunge and just rent a bigger trailer. LOL.

I reckon the next thing to look at would be integrated amps with built in DACs. There are quite a few on my list.

Bel Canto's offers the 5 which is what's mentioned above but they also have the C7R which also has a built in phono stage just in case you know ;) These score highly for me because again, following the "portability" theme, these guys can fit in a modestly sized Pelican or other dry box.

http://www.belcantodesign.com/eOne/products/integrated-amplifiers/c7r-integrated-amplifier/

German company AVM also makes a number of combo units albeit more traditionally sized.

http://www.avm-audio.com

Snuck a few tubes in there as well ;)

Please share some of yours :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Interesting suggestion. One of the hassles of moving and resetting up the gear is all the cabling. To that end, powered speakers may be of great help. I really like my NHT One monitors and sub. Bought it before the company restructured so not sure if they still sell it. I have it hooked up to a Rotel stereo pre-amp and a DAC and I am golden :).

BTW that room is very well decorated!

jn229

Jul 23, 2012
Southwestern Ontario
Every year for 'SEVEN' years my student daughter moved to a different residence/apartment. Each move involved 'Dad the human Crane' and his F-150. She has stayed in her present apartment for over a year now; a record.

Jack: I would gladly move speakers (Dynaco A-25) around verses a floral vintage bed chesterfield . . . . . . "but Daddy I love this ole couch"

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Every year for 'SEVEN' years my student daughter moved to a different residence/apartment. Each move involved 'Dad the human Crane' and his F-150. She has stayed in her present apartment for over a year now; a record.

Jack: I would gladly move speakers (Dynaco A-25) around verses a floral vintage bed chesterfield . . . . . . "but Daddy I love this ole couch"
My son moved out of his dorm after a year there. His room was on 5th floor in an ancient building with no elevators! Worse yet, the only parking was an illegal one, on the back of the building with a door that would self lock! We had to put a rock in there to keep it open while my wife and I killed ourselves bringing his stuff in and then out before security showed up! Dad the human crane indeed! And mom....

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think if I were in college today I'd be looking at a PC setup with generously powered active monitors, an outboard DAC/HA and some cans for late night listening.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing