Welcome to the Young Audiophile Forum

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Welcome,

This is a friendly place for those that are new to good sound that might have questions about this addiction.

You need not feel that you need to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to get great sound.

You can get great sound on a reasonable budget everyday and that is what this forum is here for.

However if you want to explore the unlimited possibilities in the asylum, check out the other forums! :);):p

If you have any questions about equipment, media formats, room treatments or whatnot, post them here and we will try our best to help find the answers that you seek.

There is a lot of good bang for the buck equipment out there to help you get started on your journey.

PLEASE share with us your listening environment and your musical interests

You never know you could teach some old dogs some new tricks :p

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Perhaps New Audiophile Forum is more appropriate ... considering one can be of advanced age and still be new to the hobby.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Are Young (new) Audiophiles even visiting this site? If not, we're just a bunch old guys recommending gear to each other that WE think they should consider. We need participation from them, otherwise I think this sub-forum may die a slow death.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Are Young (new) Audiophiles even visiting this site? If not, we're just a bunch old guys recommending gear to each other that WE think they should consider. We need participation from them, otherwise I think this sub-forum may die a slow death.

Agreed John

we thought we would test the waters to see if such is the case

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Which is why I put the "Please share" part in the original post.

I don't if admin can get this to pop up in google searches or another way to bring awareness.

Also if its buried to deep in the forum it will never be found.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Which is why I put the "Please share" part in the original post.

I don't if admin can get this to pop up in google searches or another way to bring awareness.

Also if its buried to deep in the forum it will never be found.

We discussed that very thing as well. We agree. It does however show up in Google searches.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't know about them being audiophiles but big brother, I am Google, thinks that 2% of our visitors are between ages of 18 and 24. Another 8% are between 25 and 34. So if we include up to age 34 as the "young" population, then we are talking about thousands of visitors per month.

To fair extent though, this is looking in our rearview mirror. Our forum and its topics are dominated by older folks so by definition then it doesn't appeal as much to the younger population. The hope is that by having content for them, more will come. I will monitor the forum stats and see what happens.

Question is whether we have enough insight into what they want. My 22 year old's audio life is around DAC+headphone. He went through three systems and has now settled on the Oppo HA-1. And he has some fancy, huge headphone whose brand I don't remember. He has no interest in speakers, amplifiers for that, etc.

So maybe more threads and recommendations on headphone systems?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
That was a good read John but the part about Nest hiring audio engineers caught my eye. I looked and indeed they are hiring audio engineers:

"Audio Software Engineer
Nest is looking for an Audio Software Engineer to join our growing embedded software team. At Nest, you'll have to opportunity to help revolutionize the next unloved device in our homes. The ideal candidate has a strong background in digital signal processing for audio and speech systems."

I suspect their mission is to put speakers in their smoke detectors or maybe go after Sonos. Doubt that they are going after "high-end audio" as the article says.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks Steve....uhh, Amir, but I'm John. :p LOL!

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I would recommend Hegel as having one of the best price/performance ratio in the industry for young audiophiles starting in the hobby.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing