Usher BE20D xover upgrade via GR Research

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Just upgraded the xovers in the Usher BE20Ds to GR Research upgrade kit. Changes include:
- tube connector speaker terminals (internal wire to speaker cable banana terminal now <1/4" away
- upgraded internal wire to custom oxygen free copper
- all components upgraded to Sonicaps, Erse coils, Mills resistors. Also went above kit to add Sonicap poly bypass caps.
- Kit modifies xover points for the woofers and mid (woofer now less intrusive in mid frequencies)
- Kit allows for stock bass output or 2 levels of change (-1.5dB or -3dB)
- All drivers now direct soldered to terminals with Mundorf silver solder

Currently breaking the xovers in with my cheapo Yamaha HT receiver. GR recommends 200 hours for all components except the poly caps which can take up to 500 hours. Will be interesting to hear the results in a few weeks.....

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
100 hours in this weekend had a quick listening session - some things already have improved. Increased clarity in the mid range and tighter bass. However, sound stage is a mess, some songs sound quite compressed, just disorganized. Next listening session will be Friday night; should have ~240 hours so I hope it's 90% baked! :)

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
500+ hours and they are fully baked. Definitely better, just more of what I last posted. 1 note for anyone thinking of doing this upgrade - be careful what you wish for in terms of increased resolution and clarity, you'll get that goodness along with the badness of hearing any imperfections of upstream equipment and poor material. But in the long run, to me it was well worth it.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
BUMP, It sounds like that upgrade could be room/equipment dependent? If I go this route is it a kit you order and then do the work yourself?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Steve59, please see the other thread with my reply. Net is - yes I ordered a kit from GR Research and it was well worth it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing