TechDas Air Force One Special Edition

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am not a fan of gold bling either. But if they want to do gold bling then some other pieces -- like the knurled suspension knobs and/or the caps on the tonearm -- should be matching gold.

MatthewC

Aug 27, 2014
Interesting. AFAIK for Hong Kong/China markets, the standard caps for the suspension knobs are gold plated (and that's what my AF1 comes with). Maybe it's the lighting, but the gold color in the photo look a lot more yellow/orange than the the gold plating on the knobs. Maybe that's why the special edition doesn't have the gold knobs, as the color will be off?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Interesting. AFAIK for Hong Kong/China markets, the standard caps for the suspension knobs are gold plated (and that's what my AF1 comes with). Maybe it's the lighting, but the gold color in the photo look a lot more yellow/orange than the the gold plating on the knobs. Maybe that's why the special edition doesn't have the gold knobs, as the color will be off?

The Gold knobs are not standard in HK/China for all AF1's. They are a HK 5k addition and they still still bring in the standard silver knobs on majority of the AF1's.

I was there last week and asked ;)

cheers

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Gold is huge in China. Remember the Gold iPhones? They were selling at very premium prices in the secondary market.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I've heard of diamonds implanted in turntables for bling. It's incredible what some markets request and are willing to spend. It's not just about the sound.

Peter, at that price level, why not get exactly what you want if the manufacturer can make it. Its called knowing your market :cool:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Forget, that, I have stainless steel, slate and...Delrin in my tt. Luxury indeed!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing