[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 9, 2014
This thing is beautiful.

Kronos Sparta 0.5.jpg

press sparta 0.5b.jpg

Mark Jones

Jul 9, 2014
Strange tried a second time and photo is still so small, sorry.

Also tried deleting the post, no luck. hmmmm

press sparta 0.5b.jpg

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
How much?

Mark Jones

Jul 9, 2014

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Even I, with a little lottery luck, could almost afford that. I thought for sure you'd say 25K+. She's a beaut though!:)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Interesting. Four suspension towers supporting the platter and armboard with the motor being isolated. Similar design approach and price to the SME 20/3 without arm. It's quite impressive that Kronos and TechDAS will soon have three tables in their lines, all in a brief time period, and all belt drive and metal designs.

There still seem to be a few motivated analog designers. This is great news. Now where are the less expensive DD Wave Kinetics and VPI tables?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
No, that price is sans tonearm.

The "upgrade to full Sparta" thing is pretty cool! I love products that you can upgrade, avoiding the loss of selling the old piece in the used market...

We'll see if we can get one in next month!

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
No, that price is sans tonearm.

The "upgrade to full Sparta" thing is pretty cool! I love products that you can upgrade, avoiding the loss of selling the old piece in the used market...

We'll see if we can get one in next month!

This is just the full Sparta cut in half, isn't it?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
This is just the full Sparta cut in half, isn't it?

missing one motor, one platter, one sub chassis.

The entry model for the Kronos is missing the signature second counterrotating platter while the entry level model for the TechDAS is missing the suspension. I suspect each will sound quite different from the two higher models in their respective brands. Not unlike the SME models 30, 20, and 10 where the two top models sound similar with the entry model being a bit different.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
What makes Kronos great are the counter-rotating platters, Newtonian physics canceling vibration. The Lisbon dealer gave me a personal demo of the Sparta's big brother, nothing less than great but > 30k euro without arm. The 2-platter Sparta is > 20k euro W/O arm. I met M. Desjardin of Montreal, nice fellow, but I bought SME 20/3A, less than half the price and a great TT. I didn't know there was a one-platter Sparta. Oracle, now Kronos, not bad for Quebec province.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
Sparta 003.jpg Sparta 007.jpg
Here is a photo of Louis Desjardins of Montreal, the founder of Kronos and designer of the Sparta, at a dealer's demonstration in Lisbon in March, 2014. There is also a photo of the double, counter-rotating platters which give the turntable a great look and sound, like an Oracle on steroids.

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
hello to analogue fellows.. the new Sparta 0.5 is a beauty!! It is a fantastic looking (maybe & sounding) turntable even if missing a platter..
I can say I would prefere this to "full" sparta, I always believe in simplicity and that deck has been built from the absolute necesary components.. as any TT must be..

"...the counter-rotating platters, Newtonian physics canceling vibration..." its quite right, but in the other hand the addition of two(!!) rotating components (motor & platter) and another power source (motor) bring both vibration and hum that counterbalance the bonus of rotating canceling...

In the end it looks a great TT, I would like to audition, I cannot afford to buy it (even if I like it much).. its stratospheric priced (for me at least)!!

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
I have heard the Sparta and its big brother and there is no evidence of hum or vibration caused by the two platters or anything else. In fact the opposite is true as the 1/2 Sparta is a compromise at a lower price and the table can be upgraded to the full Sparta at a later date.

http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/kronos-unveils-new-sparta-0-5-turntable/

If I lived in North American the full Sparta would be my turntable.

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
lucky you!! Kronos full is a great TT..
but I cannot imagine it is a compromise buying a 15.000 TT !!
Is it really so much the difference between 0.5 & full Kronos ?? have you audioned to them in exactly same setup side by side ?? I mean arm, cart, phono, amps, speakers, room, programm ??

Manos..

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have heard the Sparta and its big brother and there is no evidence of hum or vibration caused by the two platters or anything else. In fact the opposite is true as the 1/2 Sparta is a compromise at a lower price and the table can be upgraded to the full Sparta at a later date.

http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/kronos-unveils-new-sparta-0-5-turntable/

If I lived in North American the full Sparta would be my turntable.

I would love to directly compare the Sparta 0.5 to the SME 20/3. They appear to be very similar in design and price, though the former is upgradeable.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
lucky you!! Kronos full is a great TT..
but I cannot imagine it is a compromise buying a 15.000 TT !!
Is it really so much the difference between 0.5 & full Kronos ?? have you audioned to them in exactly same setup side by side ?? I mean arm, cart, phono, amps, speakers, room, programm ??

Manos..

The 1/2 Sparta is not going to be shipped until June 2015, according to the press release, so it's impossible to compare them at this time. I have listened to both the big Kronos and Sparta but not side-by-side. I found both impressive and assured but prefer the Sparta's design and smaller footprint. At this level the 0.5 is entry level Kronos to be upgraded when you win the lottery.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
I would love to directly compare the Sparta 0.5 to the SME 20/3. They appear to be very similar in design and price, though the former is upgradeable.

I agree that this would be an interesting comparison, and so would the full Sparta although a comparison with SME's flagship Model 30 would be more appropriate in that case. It would be interesting to hear just what kind of improvement the second platter produces. Meantime I am very content with both the sound and design of the 20/3, a beautiful example of industrial design and a snip in comparison to the price of the Kronos. Especially when you add EU countries' import duties.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing