TechDAS Air Force III - First Sighting

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Meet the baby brother

AF3.jpg

No details on price and features yet. Judging by the front panel it will have an air bearing and vacuum hold down but it looks mass loaded instead of suspended.

Looks like the 1500 platform is back. Four arms mounts for the half octopi crowd. :D

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Very smart on their part to bring such to life - should be a huge success. If priced right will have a big impact within the table sales out there. Looks very nice too -TWO THUMPS UP TOO THEM!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I like that it appears it will fit on a standard sized 20" shelf. The big brothers are literally much larger.

Gia

May 11, 2012
TechDAS Air Force Three will be previewed at the Munich High End Show...

Features:

• Precision CNC machined aluminium chassis of minimum external dimensions and weighing 18kgs.
  • High mass aluminium platter CNC machined to tight tolerances.
  • Air bearing that lifts the platter to 30 microns.
  • Vacuum hold down with automatic decoupling via air injection.
  • Ripple-free, low vibration, silent air pump inherited from Air Force One.
  • Four height adjustable feet employing pinpoint support and low centre of gravity.
  • Stable and accurate rotation speeds of 33 1/3 and 45 rpm unaffected by temperature changes or power supply. A high precision micro controller is used.
  • Pitch control is adjustable with an accuracy of +/- 0.1 rpm.
  • Up to four tonearms can be fitted at once. One armboard is suppled as standard and extra armboards are optional. The tonearms can be from 9” to 12” long.
  • The turntable is designed to permit system upgrades such as different platter material options and isolation platforms.

Dimensions:

• Main Chassis W312 x D360 x H160 mm (Excl Tonearm)
  • Weight Chassis 18kg, Platter 9kg
  • Motor W188 x D155 x H140 mm
  • Weight 4.6kg
  • Air Pump/Power Supply W350 x D270 x H160
  • Weight 7.8kg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And from the photo, it can play four lp's at once! Count me in!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Meet the baby brother

View attachment 20228

No details on price and features yet. Judging by the front panel it will have an air bearing and vacuum hold down but it looks mass loaded instead of suspended.

Looks like the 1500 platform is back. Four arms mounts for the half octopi crowd. :D

I want to use the like button, but there still is not one

I Like. :D

Around the US 15-16k mark I would guess, as it should be around 20k AUD I believe.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
XV, cart and arm lovers unite! :D

The Phantom

Sep 6, 2012
Hello everyone.. Sorry to be absent for so long on these blogs, but I've been busy with tonearm productidon and demos with the AF-1/Elite and AF-2/Phatnom III. I, too, am looking foward to having one of the AF-3 units here, and with a few sold already, have my order in. I tried to get one for the upcoming Newport show, but alas - it's not available yet. So we'll all have to wait; however, the rumors (this time) are correct: the AF-3 will have vacuum holddown and air-bearing, along with the usual TechDAS quality construction. We aim to garner a larger part of the market that would love to own an AF-1, or even the AF-2, but can't quite swing it. Should be a winner - but don't forget: even the best turntables (like these) are as silent as the grave withut the tonearm, and we believe the Phatnoms and (espeically) the Elite will give you more of what's in the groove - and do it correctly - than most of the other options that seem to be flooding the market these days (and after so many gave up for the CD years ago, too..!)
More later as I have information that's useful to give...

- Bob Graham

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
One of my friends who attended Munich said there would be different platter options and price would be half the AF2. Going by Japan prices that would ~ 1.8M yen.

Looks like it could be a very good table with Vibraplane like MS owners were using or Herzan.

alistairm

Sep 29, 2012
Australia
What fantastic news. I love my AF2, which has gone to another level with the Axiom tonearm. Putting the AF3 at a price point to contend with much lesser tables like VPI, Basis etc... Wow... I fully expect this to win Techdas a decent chunk of market share. Bravo!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing