Cartridge Recommendation

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Hi All,
I am looking for a next level Cart for my Classic 3 with 3D arm. I have a Lyra Kleos Sl into a Davinci MC4 SUT to a Lamm Lp2. I listen to rock almost exclusively, with some Jazz and softer stuff like Cat Stevens/Otis Redding thrown in. I have thought about everything from a Zyx Universe to Atlas/Etna, Proteus, DV xv1s(?), koetsu, and frankly I'm overwhelmed given you can't really audition, and in my own experience there are so many variables as to how a cart sounds in a system. I am looking new and used and would like to keep it under 5K. Cheaper the better though. All your input experience is welcome, specific setups and records that really make your recommendation sing, are very helpful.

Thanks
Jeff

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Jeff,

What is the step up ratio of the MC4?

Best

Jack

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi All,
I am looking for a next level Cart for my Classic 3 with 3D arm. I have a Lyra Kleos Sl into a Davinci MC4 SUT to a Lamm Lp2. I listen to rock almost exclusively, with some Jazz and softer stuff like Cat Stevens/Otis Redding thrown in. I have thought about everything from a Zyx Universe to Atlas/Etna, Proteus, DV xv1s(?), koetsu, and frankly I'm overwhelmed given you can't really audition, and in my own experience there are so many variables as to how a cart sounds in a system. I am looking new and used and would like to keep it under 5K. Cheaper the better though. All your input experience is welcome, specific setups and records that really make your recommendation sing, are very helpful.

Thanks
Jeff

Hi Jeff,
After nearly 35 years experiencing many different cartridges I still find Ortofons among the most musical and my overall favorite brand. Their SPU-N with either the ST-80 SUT or direct into your Lam will be a great match to your system and musical tastes. But if like many here you're compelled to spend more you go up the line to a Cadenza Red or the wonderful MC Windfeld. You won't need the MC4 with these cartridges.

david

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
What don;t you like about the Kleos, or what areas do you want to improve on?

Personally I find my Kleos great on rock and roll. Very punchy and dynamic. Maybe you just need to tweak the setup?

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
Bob,
I love my Kleos I just want more! Deeper bass, more intense dynamics, bigger soundstage etc. I loved my Chinook then got the Lamm, it was like I was hearing another level of the music. I was looking for a similar step up with a new cart.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India

Altanpsx

Sep 10, 2014
For sure lyra atlas and etna are very good cartridges, but i suggest you to listen transfiguration proteus, imho for a better price, you may get better results then lyra's.

kleinbje

Dec 20, 2012
CT
For sure lyra atlas and etna are very good cartridges, but i suggest you to listen transfiguration proteus, imho for a better price, you may get better results then lyra's.
Given that you have an atlas and LPS can you offer any particulars regarding them to the proteus? Some nice LPs just came up used as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing