Blade 2 - 1st NA dealer demo pair - I heard them!

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
Last Saturday our Arizona audio video Club had our monthly meeting at US tube audio in Scottsdale . They had six stereo systems set up for listening! The blade twos sounded phenomenal ! They were Biamped with a two piece Ayon Audio stereo amplifier, using a Class D 250 watt for the bottom and a 125 watt tube for the mid & top end! A $10 power strip and inexpensive Mogami interconnects! Some of the best sound I've ever heard! And the Blade Twos were only a foot out from the walls. To think how much even better they can sound tweaked properly in a dedicated room like mine! Holy moly!

Hi Steve;
I am bp on AVS. We have exchanged posts over occasionally over the past 9 years on the AVS Theta forum. Knowing you as I do this is indeed high praise based on your standards. I am so pleased to hear my sense of the Blade Two confirmed independently since not that many people have them yet. Bigmoviefan on AVS has them too, a bit earlier than me. Of course, Craig's associate, George, had them before anybody. I understand many are waiting months to get them, especially in some of the optional colors.
I didn't expect to find you in this thread and am happy you are here!
I have acoustic treatments already on the front and rear walls, ceiling corners and 1st reflection points. Bass traps too. I hope that is adequate. I have asked Amir if more is needed and look forward to his response.
I am about to receive my center stand (I also bought the Reference C4 center and Reference 1's as surrounds) before running Dirac. Knowing the difference Dirac made on my Aerial 9's I can't wait to try it with the Blade Two's!
popspin

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Amir;
I have first reflection panels at seat level covered (using a mirror to set location). Are you suggesting the ceiling be covered too?
Thanks,
popspin
No I was saying that you may want to *remove* the side first reflections and see if you like that better.

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
No I was saying that you may want to *remove* the side first reflections and see if you like that better.

Hi Amir;
Now I understand!! Sorry, I can be a bit thick at times!
I will try your suggestion and report back. I've been away from my Blades for the past week, returning to them late tomorrow! Can't wait!
Thanks!
Popspin

das

Industry Expert
Nov 15, 2010
www.soundstagenetwork.com
Hello,

Since there's interest in the Blade Two here, I thought I'd give you a sneak peek of our new KEF video that will go online on November 15:

Hope you enjoy!
Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
Well done video!

Hello,

Since there's interest in the Blade Two here, I thought I'd give you a sneak peek of our new KEF video that will go online on November 15:

Hope you enjoy!
Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

Hello Doug;
Very nicely done video. It really helps explain why the Blade Two sound sounds as is does, from the inside.
Thank you!
popspin

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
My Blade Two's are finally broken in. I have reached a couple conclusions about KEF as a company to deal with:
KEF product made in Great Britian is high quality.
KEF product made in China is 2nd rate and not at an equivalent quality level.
My Blade Two's, Reference C4 center and Reference 1's are trouble free and excellent performers.
The Reference C4 stand made in China is a below par product, especially at $1500 list on top of a list price for the speaker of $7500 to $8000 (price increased after I bought my stand).
It took 3 months after I took delivery of the speaker to receive the stand. There was no coordination on KEF's part to make sure a stand was ready when the speaker was.
Problems assembling the stand started when the 1st step was to remove 2 front feet of the delivered stand. Why not deliver the stand with the proper feet?
The instructions are not clear at all. It's hard to tell front and back of the top and bottom platforms.
The top and bottom platforms attach to 2 wide legs. 3 of 12 bolts won't screw in to the bottom platform.
There are 4 spiked feet that hand screw through the feet. 3 went in fine. The 4th did not and required using a pliers to get it screwed in. That resulted in scratching the foot it was screwed into.
Even more frustrating is that the screw holes in the top platform that should match the screw holes on the bottom of the speaker are more than an inch off so only the 2 front screws could be attached.
I have to wonder if they ever tested out assembling this stand properly. Is this the quality KEF thinks is appropriate at this level?
When I called KEF US all they cared about was an invoice. This is a new product that was just released and it's defective.
Way to go KEF. Cheap and inferior product will kill you every time. Especially when you charge top dollar.
popspin

Last edited:

kenniGT

Feb 10, 2016
London, UK
Popspin can I ask you how big is your room? I love kef blade two but I am worried for my 19m2 it will be overkill. Am I correct?

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
Popspin can I ask you how big is your room? I love kef blade two but I am worried for my 19m2 it will be overkill. Am I correct?

Hi kenniGT;
Perhaps!! My room is closer to 25m2. And there is currently an opening that will be closed off later this year.
But why not try it out. This speaker is so intoxicatingly addictive that I think it's worth the effort.
How far apart would the speakers be and how far away would you be sitting?
popspin

kenniGT

Feb 10, 2016
London, UK
Yes, I would like to try it but the flat is not ready yet. I should get keys in the summer. Room will be 4.3m by 4.5m, with fridge in awkward position, plus small kitchen annex. Funny thing is those days in London this is a decent size room. Crazy. Position of the speakers should be more or less as on attached plan. All dimensions in meters. Of course my girlfriend in the kitchen area is not to scale, she is half size shown there ;) Speakers modelled below are magico s1, blades are probably at least twice deeper.

magicoS1small.jpg

btw. Yesterday I did some photos at Bristol Show in Kef room. Have a look:
http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/k...016/P1030181_zps2vsimd6p.jpg.html?sort=3&o=12

And couple months ago on hifiplus show in Windsor next to Muons.
http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/k...how/P1030026_zpsrsprtexl.jpg.html?sort=9&o=27

Last edited:

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
It's a close call!

Yes, I would like to try it but the flat is not ready yet. I should get keys in the summer. Room will be 4.3m by 4.5m, with fridge in awkward position, plus small kitchen annex. Funny thing is those days in London this is a decent size room. Crazy. Position of the speakers should be more or less as on attached plan. All dimensions in meters. Of course my girlfriend in the kitchen area is not to scale, she is half size shown there ;) Speakers modelled below are magico s1, blades are probably at least twice deeper.

View attachment 26096

btw. Yesterday I did some photos at Bristol Show in Kef room. Have a look:
http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/k...016/P1030181_zps2vsimd6p.jpg.html?sort=3&o=12

And couple months ago on hifiplus show in Windsor next to Muons.
http://s1377.photobucket.com/user/k...how/P1030026_zpsrsprtexl.jpg.html?sort=9&o=27

Hi KenniGT;
Great pix!! I can see you are a KEF fan and have been following this speaker for a while. It was 1.5 years after I started my search for speakers before I bought the KEF's.
Your space is a bit tight as you said. I would speak to KEF and get their opinion. I'm just not sure if the bass would overpower the room. A bit of Dirac might handle that.
Sorry for the delayed response. I've been absorbed lately with new amps (Ayre) in my main system. The synergy is amazing with the Blade Two. I can't stop listening! I can understand your desire for that performance in your new flat. It is intoxicating.
I really wish KEF would introduce a smaller model, the Blade Three, to be used as a surround and center as well as for smaller spaces. The Three should be shorter and give up a bit on the low end while maintaining the magical mids and highs of the Two and original Blade. The tech in the Blade makes a difference vs the Reference series, which is still great in its own right.
I have the Ref C4 and Ref 1's. Also a pair of LS50's in a 2 channel system. All fine speakers.
I do think you need some impartial KEF corporate (hopefully more impartial than a dealer)!input to make your decision. Your dimensions seem that close!
Let me know what happens.
Good luck!
popspin

kenniGT

Feb 10, 2016
London, UK
popsin,
I am not surprised you were away for a while :) Last weekend I had opportunity listen to Blade 2 for half an hour with my streamer. Amp was Musical Fidelity M6500i so not the best one, but powerful. I had impression they are very transparent and need very good electronic to sound as good as they can. Nevertheless I understand now room dimension needed and you are correct. My spece is tight. Too tight. The room was 4.5 - 5m wide and this was not enough. You could hear they would like to have more breathing space. So for now, Blade 2 is not for me. I went there also to check LS50 and I have to say I was impressed. Lovely little speaker with so nice, sharp and delicate middle range. No wonder you have them too. Little gem. I would love Kef to create Blade Three suited to London flats, but I have suspicion they could argue there is Ref 3, Ref 1 and LS50. At the end, the last one is perfect for small and tiny rooms.
Thanks!

Attachments

• blade2.jpg
    blade2.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 763
  • ls50.jpg
    ls50.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 773
Last edited:

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
Did you make a decision on your speakers?

popsin,
I am not surprised you were away for a while :) Last weekend I had opportunity listen to Blade 2 for half an hour with my streamer. Amp was Musical Fidelity M6500i so not the best one, but powerful. I had impression they are very transparent and need very good electronic to sound as good as they can. Nevertheless I understand now room dimension needed and you are correct. My spece is tight. Too tight. The room was 4.5 - 5m wide and this was not enough. You could hear they would like to have more breathing space. So for now, Blade 2 is not for me. I went there also to check LS50 and I have to say I was impressed. Lovely little speaker with so nice, sharp and delicate middle range. No wonder you have them too. Little gem. I would love Kef to create Blade Three suited to London flats, but I have suspicion they could argue there is Ref 3, Ref 1 and LS50. At the end, the last one is perfect for small and tiny rooms.
Thanks!

Hi kenniGT;ou
Just curious if you made a decision on speakers for your new flat? Depending on how much you want to spend either the LS50's or Ref 1's would be properly sized for your space.
My concept for the Blade Three was to utilize the single apparent source design with less low end reach. It could be priced above the Ref 1 and perhaps below the other Ref models. It wouldn't have the low end reach of the Ref series but the listener could get the benefit of the Blade technology to match the main Blades in their system. I would prefer this to the Ref C4 center and Ref 1's I am using in combo with the Blade Two's. You can hear the difference the Blade tech makes when you listen to them both back to back. However, I must admit that when it alls blends together it works quite well; but likely not as well as having all the speakers utilizing the identical engineering concepts.
Best of luck with your purchase. I think you will be very pleased with the direction you are heading.
popspin

kenniGT

Feb 10, 2016
London, UK
Hi kenniGT;ou
Just curious if you made a decision on speakers for your new flat? Depending on how much you want to spend either the LS50's or Ref 1's would be properly sized for your space.
My concept for the Blade Three was to utilize the single apparent source design with less low end reach. It could be priced above the Ref 1 and perhaps below the other Ref models. It wouldn't have the low end reach of the Ref series but the listener could get the benefit of the Blade technology to match the main Blades in their system. I would prefer this to the Ref C4 center and Ref 1's I am using in combo with the Blade Two's. You can hear the difference the Blade tech makes when you listen to them both back to back. However, I must admit that when it alls blends together it works quite well; but likely not as well as having all the speakers utilizing the identical engineering concepts.
Best of luck with your purchase. I think you will be very pleased with the direction you are heading.
popspin

Popsin,

Yes, I did, but it is temporary solution for 16m2 listing room in rented flat, so I will change them in the future. Living in uk, I managed to get mint condition ATC SCM11 for half price, and good old Target R2 stands (30kg each o_0). I was thinking about LS50, but for this price ATC is probably even better solution. Also very true, honest and transparent sound.
Well, I was thinking and I have to admit that you probably right about blade 3. Why not? Especially when the company is based in Kent and they do realise what room sizes are available in London area. It would be nice to able to fit Kef's flagship technology into those small spaces.

Last edited:

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
A quick update on my KEF Blade Two's!
Now that they have severs hundred hours on them and are now driven by Ayre MX-R Twenty monoblock amps they are, in a word, awesome!!
Smooth, detailed and musical. I still can't stop listening to them. I am on a long trip to China now and miss them!! I can't wait to return home to hear them again.
I also have repositioned them in my room so hey are 6.5' off the rear wall and 3.5' from the side walls. The image they throw is huge. I am pulled into the music in a most pleasing way. The telltale sign of my feet, hands and head all engaged in the music confirms what my ears tell me.
The only missing piece is the sub 30hz region. So sometimes I add my subs in for certain songs. But 99% of the time the Blade Two's do it all!!
The all important mid range floats with vocals suspended in mid air. Even my experienced and highly critical son whose ears are better than mine was duly impressed. He has the Ref 1's which I use as surrounds.
But make no mistake, the Blades on their own offer an audible experience that the Ref line can not duplicate. Perhaps I am splitting hairs but there is a distinct difference to me.
I am so happy with my choice and another member on here with whom I have communicated feels much the same about them with his Naim front end.
If you are considering the Blade Two's vs other well known alternatives, even more expensive ones, do yourself a favor and seek these out for a lengthy demo.
They are sensitive to upstream equipment and I was able to hear improved sound when the switched from W4S SX-1000's to the Ayre KX-5 amp, then the MX-R. I also heard a huge leap in sound when I ditched my W4S USB to Spdif converter for the Berkeley.
I have also moved to Cardas Clear Reflection speaker cables and Clear Beyond power cables. More improvement.
I never dreamed I would hear this quality of audio in my own home.
Thank you KEF. Even though I can't stand your country limitations on warranty service and assistance (hello, borders are disappearing in commerce today - you need to modernize your approach to customer service; my US dealer was horrible) these speakers really provide a sublime auditory experience.
popspin

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
A quick update on my KEF Blade Two's!
Now that they have severs hundred hours on them and are now driven by Ayre MX-R Twenty monoblock amps they are, in a word, awesome!!
Smooth, detailed and musical. I still can't stop listening to them. I am on a long trip to China now and miss them!! I can't wait to return home to hear them again.
I also have repositioned them in my room so hey are 6.5' off the rear wall and 3.5' from the side walls. The image they throw is huge. I am pulled into the music in a most pleasing way. The telltale sign of my feet, hands and head all engaged in the music confirms what my ears tell me.
The only missing piece is the sub 30hz region. So sometimes I add my subs in for certain songs. But 99% of the time the Blade Two's do it all!!
The all important mid range floats with vocals suspended in mid air. Even my experienced and highly critical son whose ears are better than mine was duly impressed. He has the Ref 1's which I use as surrounds.
But make no mistake, the Blades on their own offer an audible experience that the Ref line can not duplicate. Perhaps I am splitting hairs but there is a distinct difference to me.
I am so happy with my choice and another member on here with whom I have communicated feels much the same about them with his Naim front end.
If you are considering the Blade Two's vs other well known alternatives, even more expensive ones, do yourself a favor and seek these out for a lengthy demo.
They are sensitive to upstream equipment and I was able to hear improved sound when the switched from W4S SX-1000's to the Ayre KX-5 amp, then the MX-R. I also heard a huge leap in sound when I ditched my W4S USB to Spdif converter for the Berkeley.
I have also moved to Cardas Clear Reflection speaker cables and Clear Beyond power cables. More improvement.
I never dreamed I would hear this quality of audio in my own home.
Thank you KEF. Even though I can't stand your country limitations on warranty service and assistance (hello, borders are disappearing in commerce today - you need to modernize your approach to customer service; my US dealer was horrible) these speakers really provide a sublime auditory experience.
popspin

It makes me happy to hear how pleased you are with your Kefs. The Blade two would still be my end of the road dream speaker for sure.
Its good that you noticed how important the rest of the system and cabling are, with The Kef Coax basically taking on the character of whatever its hooked up too.

I wish you many more hours of Great listening.....

matteos

Sep 21, 2016
I would love to hear these.. and own them. I've got a set of the R900s and think they sound amazing. You saying that the Reference line doesn't hold up to the Blades makes me want a set very badly. Maybe one day.

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
Billy and Matteos:
Just to provide an update on the Blade Two's - they sound even better than before after some system tweaking!
It took me a lot of years before the Blades were in my system. And yes, they are so revealing I can clearly hear changes in T system such as the music source (Aurender vs McIntosh for streaming from my NAS), the amps (W4S vs Ayre), the USB to SPDIF/AES converter (W4S to Berkeley) and cable (Cardas Clear and Clear Reflextion). Also been playing with Srillpoints. New dedicated circuits too. As all these changes have settled in I could hear the effects of each mod as they were installed. That wasn't always the case with earlier versions of my system with Linn or Aerial's and Wyred.
I can now crank up the volume to levels that would have hurt my ears in the past. Now all I hear is smoothness and dynamics with a huge soundstage. Detail abounds.
Bit short of the Blades I can tell you my son, who has a bit of my genes, assembled a fantastic system composed of the KEF Ref 1's, a Prima Luna pre, McIntosh 402 amp, and Schitt DAC. It is so musical and satisfying to listen to he isn't suffering at all!! I wish I had his system when I was his age!!
Enjoy the KEF's you have now and know that, in time, things have a way of working themselves out!
By the way there was an fine review of the Blade Two's this past spring that's worth a read if you haven't seen it. The reviewers description of the midrange was spot on.
Have fun!
Popspin

Last edited:

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Would you say the Blade2 is identical sounding to the Blade with bass output for a smaller room? I've owned a couple pair of kef Reference a pair of q and even a small pair of c10's i think and what I liked best about kef was they always get the midrange perfect and as price goes up so does resolution and frequency range. Enjoy. After nearly 30 years of kef's i'm venturing out and trying other brands and it seems each company has something to hang their hat on.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing