Blade 2 - 1st NA dealer demo pair - I heard them!

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
I am in a bit of a rush right now and will post more soon. I demoed these speakers through a dealer Craig Schumer a/k/a Thestermax.
Details to come. This is a worthy pair of speakers!! Forget the poor results many reported from show set ups. They don't matter. I heard the Blade 2 in a room sized close enough to my own. Set up had been tweaked by KEF. The results were very impressive in many aspects of product execution.
I k know it's nearly impossible to locate a dealer where the Blade 2 can be demoed. Come on KEF, it's hard to sell this speaker if customers aren't able to hear it!
More later!
Popspin

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
I just wanted to provide a quick update to my demo of the KEF Blade Two.
I have heard the speakers and also read Atkinson's review in the current edition of Stereophile. I found his review very confused and contradictory.
I agree with him about the excellent sound stage and imaging as well as the extremely clear mids and highs. But sometimes he found the bass to be a bit too much and other times it was tuneful and accurate. Which is it, John?? When I heard the speakers there was some mid/upper bass bloom but this aspect of the sound has been dealt with by the dealer with a bit of "tuning". The lower end he sometimes complained about I found very appealing. These speakers are very sensitive to set up and upstream components. Atkinson did mention different results when he changed amps. Get the set up right and they are magic! Get it wrong and you get results like Atkinson got and others have reported after hearing Blades and Blade Two's at some shows.
I say this because the Blade Two's I heard had been carefully set up by Theatermax and tweaked by KEF. I am quite sure after reading what Atkinson did to set up his speakers that he failed to take the steps taken by my dealer, because the results didn't match up with what my ears heard.
What I heard, and will confirm with another demo session, was outstanding imaging and soundstage.Only when the speakers were really cranked did the highs start to get a bit harsher than I would like. I attribute that to the speakers having only 100 hours on them. I am told by the dealer that when the same music I heard is played through the speakers now the volume needs to be cranked up way higher before any harshness is heard. I hope that change continues as the speakers break in more and Theatermax learns more about how to tweak the system to obtain even better results. KEF has engineered the aluminum tweeters to avoid audible distortion up to about 40khz, several times as high as I can hear!
I have been at this hobby way too long to be swayed by a reviewer after I have heard the product for myself. I trust my ears.
The other speakers I am considering are the Magico S3 and S5. The S3 is sweet but has no real low end; the S5 does! Both speakers companies are engineering driven and I like the idea that the Blades are a result of a no holds barred $1,000,000 investment over 5 years by youthful engineers. Magic has some fine engineering as well but every speaker has some compromises.
Reviews are not always reliable. For example, the highly regarded Magico Q7 was one of the the most awesome speakers around but when the Q7MkII came out we all discovered that the new speakers solved problems with the originals such as ringing in that beryllium tweeter. They never said that when just the original Q7 was reviewed but the same ringing had to be there!!!
The moral of the story is that you need to listen for yourself, with your own ears and not trust some reviewer writing for a publication that survives on advertising.
Atkinson criticized the speaker for overdoing bass in a few instances. One aspect I was surprised at with the Blade Two was the solidity of the bass on some very low notes from a couple cuts such as Bela Fleck's "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" and Pete Belasco's "Deeper" was so deep and defined, shaking and vibrating things in the demo room while the Blade Two itself remained totally vibration free. When you combine that with a fluid and smooth mid range and high end enveloped in a broad and deep soundstage, these speakers sound like a bargain when measured against some of the more expensive competition. Like other great speakers, with the right recording, (some provided by KEF were capable of transporting you to a different place) the vocals and instruments can seem to just be suspended in mid air totally detached from the speaker itself.
Just for the record, other speakers I demoed included the Revel Salon Utra II, B&W 802D, Dynaudio C2, Rockport Atria, Raidho S3 and s speaker made by a German company named Kaiser (these were simply awesome but the pair I wanted would cost $60k).
If you happen to live anywhere near central NJ, it seems this is where the 1st demo pair of Blade Two's are available for a serious demo session. Take advantage and at least give a listen; you might be as surprised as I was.
I am going to demo both the Magico and KEF one more time. I don't think I can lose with either choice. There is a obviously a $7,000 list price difference between the Blade Two and S5 but I am first choosing the speaker I like best, then seeking the best deal on the speaker I prefer.
popspin

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
As a very satisfied Kef Ref 207/2 owner I will follow your observations with interest. Magico and Kef...they should not sound anything alike. Keep me posted:)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
As a very satisfied Kef Ref 207/2 owner I will follow your observations with interest. Magico and Kef...they should not sound anything alike. Keep me posted:)

I heard both at Axpona, and they are polar opposites to my ears. The Magico offered so much information across the band, that the highs and lows sounded overemphasized to me. I found myself consciencsly listening to highs and lows. The Kef's by contrast was drawing me into the music (which "happens" in the midrange), and I found the tonal balance altogether more natural.

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
I heard both at Axpona, and they are polar opposites to my ears. The Magico offered so much information across the band, that the highs and lows sounded overemphasized to me. I found myself consciencsly listening to highs and lows. The Kef's by contrast was drawing me into the music (which "happens" in the midrange), and I found the tonal balance altogether more natural.

Hi Edorr;
Your ears heard what mine heard!
I didn't mean to imply that the Magico S and Blade sounded the same. Sorry if I gave that impression.
What I meant to say is that both speakers have the ability to throw a soundstage with mids that appear to float, suspended in mid air, in front and all around you.
I find the may be Blades better suited to my audio preferences. What some find appealing in the Magicos I find to be a bit too much. But I understand their appeal. I just need to filter everything I hear through my own ears!

Last edited:

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
I wanted to provide an update to my speaker quest. I decided in favor of the Blade Two. They are simply an outstanding pair of speakers.
Hearing them in my home in my system has been a smile-inducing experience. The mid range is so smooth with all the detail you never heard before with lesser speakers such as my old Aerial 9's. And the soundstage is grand in proportion. Low end is stronger than expected and well controlled. Highs are very present while not grating on my ears.
They play wonderfully at low volume and when the volume is turned up the Blade Two just says "do you want more"?! Some speakers tend to get uncomfortable to listen to at high volumes; not the case here. The presentation just keeps growing in size and loudness while maintaining the same qualities of sound.
Playing music I am very familiar with again and again has become a new hobby. I continue to hear discrete details clearly so they have the impact the recording engineer intended but I hadn't heard clearly before.
Since this system is my HT system too (I also have a separate 2 channel system in my office) I also bought the new Reference 4C and Reference 1's as surrounds. Movies never sounded this grand before. The soundstage is so large it makes my flat screen seem wimpy. The huge soundstage sound demands I install a proper projector and screen!
I am continuing the break in process which I hear takes 350-400 hours. The Blade Two's sounded wonderful when they were installed and even better with just over 120 hours on them.
Next week, after I get the center stand I will run Dirac which should yield even better results! I haven't had this much fun with my system in years.
I guess I have become a KEF Head since I now have the above mentioned speakers and also a pair of LS50's in my 2 channel system powered by a Devialet 200.
Very impressive products and support! Well done KEF!

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
One comment on how people have reacted after hearing the Blade Two; every person said the same thing. Whether they were listening to an instrumental or vocal cut they felt the instrument or singer(s) were right there in the room with them. They are right!!
The beauty of these speakers is that they simply disappear and leave you with just the music. No chestiness like my Aerial's had. Simply close your eyes and before you know it feet, hands and head are all moving along with whatever you are listening to, without the sense of the sound eminating from a couple standing boxes.
I think this is what we all are seeking. It took me 50 years of audio experience to get here.
The funny thing is that I feel I have come full circle in my audio life. As a child my father would sit me down and play a string quartet and have me listen to each instrument then how they blended. His Marantz tube system and RCA Olsen LC1A speakers sounded wonderful. Funny thing is that the LC1A was a 15" studio monitor developed by Harry Olsen who ran Bell Lab's acoustical division in the 50's. It had a center mounted tweeter. So the concept is quite similar to the KEF!!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If it is anything like the original blade, my suggestion is to NOT put it in a dead room. It can sound very dull there. So make sure you have reflective surfaces on the sides and not a lot of absorption.

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
If it is anything like the original blade, my suggestion is to NOT put it in a dead room. It can sound very dull there. So make sure you have reflective surfaces on the sides and not a lot of absorption.

Interesting observation, amirm. I do use acoustic treatments but hope I didn't over dampen the room. I like some reflectivity to keep things alive. I am absorbing behind each speaker, ceiling corners and bass traps. Also 1st reflection points. Panels in middle of back wall. That's it. I guess I didn't overdo it because the sound is not dull at all. It's just natural sounding.
Does that make sense to you?

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
One comment on how people have reacted after hearing the Blade Two; every person said the same thing. Whether they were listening to an instrumental or vocal cut they felt the instrument or singer(s) were right there in the room with them. They are right!!
The beauty of these speakers is that they simply disappear and leave you with just the music. No chestiness like my Aerial's had. Simply close your eyes and before you know it feet, hands and head are all moving along with whatever you are listening to, without the sense of the sound eminating from a couple standing boxes.
I think this is what we all are seeking. It took me 50 years of audio experience to get here.
The funny thing is that I feel I have come full circle in my audio life. As a child my father would sit me down and play a string quartet and have me listen to each instrument then how they blended. His Marantz tube system and RCA Olsen LC1A speakers sounded wonderful. Funny thing is that the LC1A was a 15" studio monitor developed by Harry Olsen who ran Bell Lab's acoustical division in the 50's. It had a center mounted tweeter. So the concept is quite similar to the KEF!!

Congratulations!

If they are as tunable as the Ls50 then you will have a lot of fun customising them to your taste.....
Btw what electronics and cables are you using with them?

Last edited:

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
Hi Billy;
These speakers are sensitive to upstream components. So I look forward to even more refined results as I complete the makeover of my system and room.
I will keep my prepro, Theta Casablanca with the most recent DAC board upgrade (about 6 weeks ago). Sources are Aurender N100h streamer and McIntosh 891 for Blurays. Mc is connected with Wireworld Platinum HDMI and custom analog cables. The Aurender is using my new chosen cable maker, Grover Huffman. Love the sound of his products.
Dedicated circuits through a Furman Ref IT balanced power conditioner. A touch of filtering.
Balanced connections where possible
Amps are better than average but need upgrading. I have used Wyred4Sound SX-1000 monoblocks for 5 years. Quite impressive. No problems driving the Blade Two's. If you listened to the system without knowing what amps were driving it I doubt you could tell they are Little cool running Class D amps. Some people feel that as long as an amp is decent it tough to distinguish between them past a certain level. I would guess their systems were not revealing enough.
However, I am likely headed towards the the Theta Prometheus mono blocks for the front 3 channels and a Theta Dreadnaught for the surrounds. I heard them and was impressed. Also considering Plinius, Astetix, among others but would rather have the Class A/D type of config offered by the Theta. Their customer service has been simply fantastic over the past 9 years. That counts for a lot in this industry. I've owned some great pieces over the years that were let down by poor support.
So much to do, starting with a new equipment closet to clear out the front of the room so many new cables required due different distance requirements. Then new drapes. The list is endless!!

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
Billy; I realized I didn't directly answer your question about tunability. Yes is the answer. It takes a fair amount of experimentation to get the best out of the Blade Two. I'm still tweaking distance and toe-in and having fun doing it.
Note that the Blades do not include any port inserts like the LS and Ref's.
BTW, I love my LS50's too!
The common link between them all is that they engage the listener so naturally. And there is a consistent sound characteristic all the way up the line. (Can't say that for some arrogant competitors whose speakers I demoed before buying the Blades.)
Popspin

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
Last Saturday our Arizona audio video Club had our monthly meeting at US tube audio in Scottsdale . They had six stereo systems set up for listening! The blade twos sounded phenomenal ! They were Biamped with a two piece Ayon Audio stereo amplifier, using a Class D 250 watt for the bottom and a 125 watt tube for the mid & top end! A $10 power strip and inexpensive Mogami interconnects! Some of the best sound I've ever heard! And the Blade Twos were only a foot out from the walls. To think how much even better they can sound tweaked properly in a dedicated room like mine! Holy moly!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Last Saturday our Arizona audio video Club had our monthly meeting at US tube audio in Scottsdale . They had six stereo systems set up for listening! The blade twos sounded phenomenal ! They were Biamped with a two piece Ayon Audio stereo amplifier, using a Class D 250 watt for the bottom and a 125 watt tube for the mid & top end! A $10 power strip and inexpensive Mogami interconnects! Some of the best sound I've ever heard! And the Blade Twos were only a foot out from the walls. To think how much even better they can sound tweaked properly in a dedicated room like mine! Holy moly!

Where have you been!!??:mad:

Welcome Back! and Please post more ! :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Interesting observation, amirm. I do use acoustic treatments but hope I didn't over dampen the room. I like some reflectivity to keep things alive. I am absorbing behind each speaker, ceiling corners and bass traps. Also 1st reflection points. Panels in middle of back wall. That's it. I guess I didn't overdo it because the sound is not dull at all. It's just natural sounding.
Does that make sense to you?
It does make sense to me but I suspect you may want to remove the first reflection point with blades.

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010

I should add no room treatments anywhere in the place! And a long long room in which 6 systems were set up. Nothing should sound all that good there! But the Blade Twos were wonderrful. And as Amir points out, some room treatments (and other tweaks) will even improve the sonics more!@@@

Popspin

Apr 28, 2015
It does make sense to me but I suspect you may want to remove the first reflection point with blades.

Hi Amir;
I have first reflection panels at seat level covered (using a mirror to set location). Are you suggesting the ceiling be covered too?
Thanks,
popspin

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing