Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne Wins 2014 Stereomojo Maximum Mojo Award

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Stereomojo Max Mojo Award 2014.jpg

-2014 BEST SMALL SPEAKER-​

This is the second Evolution Acoustics speaker we have reviewed. The first, the MMMiniTwo, set a pretty high bar. Of it we said, “The Evolution Acoustics MMMiniTwo time after time, without fail, through thousands of different musical selections across every musical style, decade and century, gave us the most musically enjoyable, exhilarating, rewarding and satisfying musical experience we had yet relished in our 30 plus year audio journey. While we are not sure what the “MM” designation really stands for, in our book it’s Maximum Mojo.”

So now, we are about to do the unspeakable – the unthinkable – and compare the $39,000 MMMiniTwo (scantily clad model not included) to the $4,000 little brother! True, it sounds unfair and possibly even unethical. But, if you know anything about StereoMojo, we are never unfair and never, ever unethical. The reason behind the madness is that the MMMicroOne has much more in common with its big brother than they are disparate. Also, I might mention that in audio blogs all over the net, the little MMMicroOne has been compared favorably to a very heavily advertised $185,000 speaker, the Magico Q7. Really. But we’re not getting in the middle of that. We deal in facts we know.

Fact one: both Evolution Acoustics models employ stacked, multilayer construction of their cabinets Which makes them structurally inert and sonically diffuse. Cabinet resonance is a major factor in speaker performance because cabinet vibrations cause sound waves that conflict, compete with and degrade the pure sound waves produced by the drivers. When a box vibrates, it puts out waves in every direction that can cause phase, timing and frequency distortion that confuses the ear/brain path with thousands of micro echoes that have to be filtered out and adjusted to make sense out of the projected sound. Images become blurred and smeared which is the opposite of what the drivers are trying to do. It also causes ear fatigue, which manifests itself in short attention spans. After listening for time, your mind starts to think of other things you could be doing and you otherwise just become uncomfortable with continued listening. Bad. Very bad.

Linda and I can attest to dozens and dozens of listening sessions lasting four hours or more with no fatigue; these speakers make you want to listen more.

Click here for the full review

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Congrats, Jonathan!

I still need to hear the MiniTwos at length :)

Thanks Keith.

We will have the MiniTwos at THE Show Newport Beach in one of the Alma Audio rooms which you are welcome to listen to at length, but I think you are talking about the MicroTwos which we are still engineering.

Hope all is well!

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi Jonathan,

Congratulations! :D
What will you be using upstream at THE Show :confused:

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I personally liked this review better, that also came out recently:

http://i.nextmedia.com.au/Assets/evolution_acoustics_mmmicroone_speakers_review_test_lores.pdf

Particularly, this quote here:

"Look at Graph 4, which shows theimpedance of the Evolution AcousticsMMMicroOne, you can see that it’s almostimpossible to differentiate the trace of theimpedance of the left-channel speakerfrom that of the right-channel speaker.This is speaker-matching at its finest... I don’t think I have ever seen a pair
of speakers whose impedances havetracked each other so closely. This
says as much for the quality
of the drivers being used as it
does for the quality-control
procedures in place during themanufacturing processes. "

:D

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
I personally liked this review better, that also came out recently:

http://i.nextmedia.com.au/Assets/evolution_acoustics_mmmicroone_speakers_review_test_lores.pdf

Particularly, this quote here:

"Look at Graph 4, which shows theimpedance of the Evolution AcousticsMMMicroOne, you can see that it’s almostimpossible to differentiate the trace of theimpedance of the left-channel speakerfrom that of the right-channel speaker.This is speaker-matching at its finest... I don’t think I have ever seen a pair
of speakers whose impedances havetracked each other so closely. This
says as much for the quality
of the drivers being used as it
does for the quality-control
procedures in place during themanufacturing processes. "

:D

Yes Alexandre, that was a wonderful review as well!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing