Studer A810 with Tube Repro

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Yup , don't think I can do what u suggested . When I switched to internal electronic , the imbalanced in the right & left channel is obviously .
Now I play by adjusting the trim pot provided in Tube Repro with much more gain in the right channel , easily 4-5db I thk . Thanks

You have a major channel imbalance with both internal and external electronics which points to the head or the head switch as the source of the defect. Misadjusting the Tube Repro L/R gain to balance out the channels is not the proper fix as you may or may not know. Cleaning the head switch with Deoxit D5 may be worth a try and should be easy. Also examine the head surface with a strong magnifier.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Based on what's been reported so far, the best option for you is to:

1) take the machine to your local electronics repair shop to have the tape headblock removed (three long screws) and disconnect the direct wires at the end connection points (not knowing if DocB had installed a set of RCAs in the back or left them in long cables with RCA male connectors).
2) contact John French for him to test the repro head, ultrasonic cleaning, and optical realignment. If the repro head is worn, this will be an opportunity to upgrade to the Flux Mag repro head.
3) John can test the direct head output along with outputs from the Studer internal preamp when the switch is in internal mode.
4) have your local tech reinstall the headblock and reconnect the direct head outputs

It seems with your far location, above option maybe the only one.

Good luck
Ki

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Or buy another 1 modified for external preamp

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I m confident it's not the tape head . Used it for less than 200 hrs & it was in pretty new condition when I bought it .
Probably got to do with the switch or direct wires modification.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
It never hurts to have a second machine... on the other hand, I am not one to speak too loudly...

You reported that the imbalance happens on both direct wired output as well as through Studer A810 internal electronics, one troubling shooting you can do to isolate the issue further is to measure the DCR with an ohmmeter at the direct wired connection for comparison of CH1 and CH2 of the repro head outputs. Both channels should be relatively same at ~100 ohm (@ 1khz).

If you see the difference, I would recommend you move up to the switch terminals and the twisted pair wires from the head to diagnose the source of the difference.

You won't hurt the head but would recommend demagnetizing the repro head after the test.

Ki

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
I m confident it's not the tape head . Used it for less than 200 hrs & it was in pretty new condition when I bought it .

Only head contamination (not head wear) was suggested as a possible defect: as in a piece of tape oxide the size of a pin head at the right spot could reduce a track's level by 5 dB.

kfalls

Jun 24, 2015
He said the player was out of service for a few months during room renovation. I assume it was moved to another location. Since the output has changed without any good reason, has anyone thought to reseat the audio cards? It's an easy check. Dirt and vibration can cause a lot of squirley problems. He should be comfortable with just unseating and reseating the cards. He doesn't even have to remove them. It can't/shouldn't hurt.

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
He said the player was out of service for a few months during room renovation. I assume it was moved to another location. Since the output has changed without any good reason, has anyone thought to reseat the audio cards? It's an easy check. Dirt and vibration can cause a lot of squirley problems. He should be comfortable with just unseating and reseating the cards. He doesn't even have to remove them. It can't/shouldn't hurt.

The OP claims he has the same channel imbalance when by-passing the Studer playback amps (using instead an external head amp, a Tube Repro). That would tend to eliminate the Studer audio amps or amp connectors as the source of the problem.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Hmmm maybe time for me to get a Studer A80 RC MK 2 which is modified correctly to accept an external preamp . The tapes are costing me more than the playback .
Anyway it's playing fine with external preamp trim port - short cut for me to nice music

Tapetech

Apr 10, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Anyway it's playing fine with external preamp trim pot - short cut for me to nice music

If you have to imbalance the trim pots on your external head amp (the Tube Repro) by 5 db to get both channels to sound balanced, then your tape deck can't be "playing fine" or meeting manufacturers spec. Something is still quite wrong with it. Any competent repair professional could find the balance defect in 5 minutes and perhaps fix it in another 10 minutes. Rather than replacing the whole deck, why not just get it fixed???

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hmmm maybe time for me to get a Studer A80 RC MK 2 which is modified correctly to accept an external preamp . The tapes are costing me more than the playback .
Anyway it's playing fine with external preamp trim port - short cut for me to nice music
Once you hear the A80RC and you will nrever go back to A810 again
tony ma

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Tape tech , you are probably right. However I don't have a technician in my country to help me to troubleshoot

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Tony , how could I modified an A80 so that I won't have the same issue with my Studer A810 in which I can't use the VU meter to help me in adjusting alignment ?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Tony , how could I modified an A80 so that I won't have the same issue with my Studer A810 in which I can't use the VU meter to help me in adjusting alignment ?

I have 2 sets of outputs on my A80. One for internal (using the overhead vu meters) and external ( using either vu meters on outboard tape pre or just a voltage meter and O-scope for azimuth).

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
image.jpg
image.jpg

Got myself a Studer A80 R with 2812 hours on the meter from a seller in Austria . Modded for external preamp . So much better than A810.
No hum & no channel imbalance unlike the A810. So prime suspect is the direct head output modification

Oop correction . There is a channel imbalance to the left. When I played Hotel California , the vocal is veered 1/4 way to the left of centre . So possibly my tubes issue .
Anyway Hotel California on AFO + Axiom arm + Koetsu + Vitus Masterpiece phono costing more than 10x my reel to reel set up sounded like toy soldiers singing in my room compared to R2R playback. Imagine if its 1/2" 30 ips tape :eek:

Last edited:

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Good news , I sort out my channel inbalance . It's a bad input XLR connector. Nothing wrong with Tube Repro

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
That is good news! :)

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Let's see how much better A80 will be with tube repro

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing