How good is the Vendetta SCP 2a phono amp compared to the newer stuff

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
I have a friend with a Blowtorch with the phono option and get to listen to it often. Still one of the very few solid state phono's or preamps I would ever consider owning. Not many of them out there. Great piece that certainly hold up today to many of the big boys.

A23

Dec 30, 2018
I futzed around with the Vendetta a bit. One channel is much noisier than the other, though both are inaudible at "normal" volume. Grounding didn't do much if anything.

So there's parts that need replacing....just need to figure out which ones.

Last edited:

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
I futzed around with the Vendetta a bit. One channel is much noisier than the other, though both are inaudible at "normal" volume. Grounding didn't do much if anything.

So there's parts that need replacing....just need to figure out which ones.

Please don't plug into your amp - don't take a risk

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
The Vendetta is off to be serviced.

Thats excellent-it deserves the update-- pity one cannot obtain the Teflon caps--then you will really hear how the stage can perform :)
I presume you are aware the 2A inverts Phase.

GLWTV

BruceD

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
I presume you are aware the 2A inverts Phase.
Yes, this is correct. If John has the parts and can be convinced, get it upgraded to a 2T.

A23

Dec 30, 2018
Thanks for the reminder about the inverted polarity. What's the best approach to correct it? I used to flip the speaker connections, but I only listened to the Vendetta at the time.

I'm not familiar with the 2T upgrade. It would probably be a bit of overkill with my present system.

Now I'm concerned with the sourcing the best parts. Any advise?

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
I've already asked John for the Teflon Caps - he told me not to bother and just enjoy - as said before replace the electrolytic and IC's - pm me ur email and I can tell you what was used by my tech.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
I'm not familiar with the 2T upgrade.
T stands for Teflon (caps). I think there may be other things involved in the upgrade.
It would probably be a bit of overkill with my present system.
Some would say anything worth doing is worth overdoing. :)

k600r

May 27, 2022
The Vendetta is off to be serviced.
Hi,
I realize this post is older but since I just acquired a Vendetta SCP-2A with one faceplate, I thought I’d ask where you got yours serviced? I’ve only tried it out briefly and I’m getting some noise from my Wilson Watt/Puppies when gain is up but I haven’t tried moving power supplies around and played with grounding. Is that a possibility where the noise is from or would it be prudent to get the electrolytic caps replaced. Appreciate any knowledge you could pass my way as it took a long time to hunt one down and I would like to keep it working well.

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Hi,
I realize this post is older but since I just acquired a Vendetta SCP-2A with one faceplate, I thought I’d ask where you got yours serviced? I’ve only tried it out briefly and I’m getting some noise from my Wilson Watt/Puppies when gain is up but I haven’t tried moving power supplies around and played with grounding. Is that a possibility where the noise is from or would it be prudent to get the electrolytic caps replaced. Appreciate any knowledge you could pass my way as it took a long time to hunt one down and I would like to keep it working well.
Any noise switch it off. My electrolytics were blown it it killed a channel in my amp. What country are u in?

Dierkx1

Jan 14, 2020
thinking of selling. Any thoughts? Below is the info from the seller when I purchased in 2019. I do have access to JC through the SFAF

One Vintage John Curl Vendetta SCP-2C Phono Stage (C version Upgrade)

I am selling this for my friend
"This is a phono stage that we used in the Infinity Systems sound room somewhere in the 80’s. I, Bascom H. King, was able to get it for myself and have used it in my own systems over the years since. It always has sounded good to me. Note that this is a dedicated moving coil circuit with a gain of about 60 dB and an input impedance of 47K Ohms. This unit has been modified to have an additional input jack paralleled with the original for each channel. This allows the insertion of a RCA input plug with the desired moving coil loading for the moving coil pickup to the used. Included is a pair of such plugs with 100 Ohm resistors."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing