How good is the Vendetta SCP 2a phono amp compared to the newer stuff

TommyTunes

Jan 16, 2012
Alpharetta
Spoke with my friend that gave me the Vendetta and he confirmed that the T upgrade with the Teflon caps was performed 7 years ago and that there were no further upgrades available. Going to install it in my system today and take it for a spin.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Indeed, only a handful of 2Ts exist, and JC's declining eyesight - effectively blind in one eye - makes it difficult at best for him.

Brian,

Do you think Curl's recent work on the Constellation phono stage is better than the Vendetta?

TommyTunes

Jan 16, 2012
Alpharetta
Spent about 5 hours listening to it yesterday, it's the most detail and fast phonostage that I've yet to hear, it is extremely analyatical however when compared to the ARC Ref3, it lacks the fullness and "bloom" that makes it a more realistic presentation. I will say that the Vendetta comes closer to the sound of mastertapes.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Brian,

Do you think Curl's recent work on the Constellation phono stage is better than the Vendetta?

I wouldn't bet on it. The higher end Constellation phono stage (there are two, I believe) should be very close.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Spent about 5 hours listening to it yesterday, it's the most detail and fast phonostage that I've yet to hear, it is extremely analyatical however when compared to the ARC Ref3, it lacks the fullness and "bloom" that makes it a more realistic presentation. I will say that the Vendetta comes closer to the sound of mastertapes.

You can adjust the input impedance loading through the continuously variable pots inside.

Comedus76

Nov 14, 2016
I've recently acquired the SCP-2B (I think); I checked the phase, its correct and the two channels are fused in front though the face plate says 2A. I'm comparing it against my Zanden 1300 MkII and I can tell you, its very very very close. I'm still debating which one to hold on to but compared to the Zanden (retail $11k+) vs. the SCP-2A/B (which I purchased for less than $2K) and that it's at least 15-20 years old, I'd say that its an amazing piece of kit. I'm now wondering if I should go forward with the 2T upgrade. Brian - I'll send you an email as you instructed to secure John Curl's contact info so I can commission the upgrade.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
I've recently acquired the SCP-2B (I think); I checked the phase, its correct and the two channels are fused in front though the face plate says 2A. I'm comparing it against my Zanden 1300 MkII and I can tell you, its very very very close. I'm still debating which one to hold on to but compared to the Zanden (retail $11k+) vs. the SCP-2A/B (which I purchased for less than $2K) and that it's at least 15-20 years old, I'd say that its an amazing piece of kit. I'm now wondering if I should go forward with the 2T upgrade. Brian - I'll send you an email as you instructed to secure John Curl's contact info so I can commission the upgrade.

The Vendetta is a classic with whiskers on it that stands up to lots of stuff out there. Zanden makes a fine piece, but that's a lot to have tied up in it, especially considering the deal you got on the Vendetta. I had an SCP-2A upgraded to a 2T and sold it when I bought the late Bob Crump's 2T which was considered one of the best examples out there, plus it brings back great memories of Bob and all the fun we had.

Best of luck and listening no matter what you decide!

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
thanks for clarification

Before one considers A /B comparisons with other/existing MC phono stages ( All the V-SCPs are LOMC ONLY) here is the chart of the models

Good Listening

BruceD

SCP-2A - phase reversed came in 2 boxes
SCP-2B - phase corrected, variable loading, came in a 19" faceplate joining the 2 mono units.
SCP-2C - adds 47K ohm support
SCP-2D - improvement with a drop in distortion, rare and hard to find.
SCP-2T - latest revision by JC, $1500 in mods that will change the wires, FET's, and add expensive Teflon caps, and other proprietary treatments. Need a good unit to get started. The Vendetta and the T upgrade would easily run $4000-5000 now on the used market.

Thanks for that Bruce - the reason being I bought what I believe was an SCP2A - but it has variable loading and a single front plate - indicating it is an SCP2B - that said it has SCP2A on the front plate.

A brilliant technician called Brett Hunnisett in the UK replaced the electrolytics in the phono amp after it blew my main amplifier (£1000 bill ouch) Brett also improved the IC's. These works cost around £350 UKP. I contacted John Curl - a brilliant but perhaps rather shy man - he said just enjoy the phono amp when asked about a Teflon upgrade.

I understand - perhaps from one of the people on this thread - that the original caps make the sound more organic that the Teflon caps - not necessarily a better sound - perhaps a bit more HD/HiFi. I am curious as to the Teflon caps that were used in the T in the event I try and rope Brett into putting those caps into my system.

I had a really nice guy from HK send me the circuit diagram - but on pain of death and respect to John Curl I will not forward this to anyone else.

The most fascinating thing about the stage is that the Hitachi MosFets were 'trace matched'. These FETS are no longer manufactured, but there is some obscure company in the US that bought all the old stocks - that said JC probably had to check several FETS before matching them in groups/batches.

Best single component I have bought yet in my system. Not only superb sounding, but also a component that gives me real pride of ownership given its' rarity and also its notoriety.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Thanks for that Bruce - the reason being I bought what I believe was an SCP2A - but it has variable loading and a single front plate - indicating it is an SCP2B - that said it has SCP2A on the front plate.

A brilliant technician called Brett Hunnisett in the UK replaced the electrolytics in the phono amp after it blew my main amplifier (£1000 bill ouch) Brett also improved the IC's. These works cost around £350 UKP. I contacted John Curl - a brilliant but perhaps rather shy man - he said just enjoy the phono amp when asked about a Teflon upgrade.

I understand - perhaps from one of the people on this thread - that the original caps make the sound more organic that the Teflon caps - not necessarily a better sound - perhaps a bit more HD/HiFi. I am curious as to the Teflon caps that were used in the T in the event I try and rope Brett into putting those caps into my system.

I had a really nice guy from HK send me the circuit diagram - but on pain of death and respect to John Curl I will not forward this to anyone else.

The most fascinating thing about the stage is that the Hitachi MosFets were 'trace matched'. These FETS are no longer manufactured, but there is some obscure company in the US that bought all the old stocks - that said JC probably had to check several FETS before matching them in groups/batches.

Best single component I have bought yet in my system. Not only superb sounding, but also a component that gives me real pride of ownership given its' rarity and also its notoriety.

John Curl's ability to curve trace and match the Hitachi JFETs (not MOSFETs) is very rare.

Yes, John is shy yet protective, until he knows someone. He's a lot of fun, though.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I think I recall Charles Hansen of Ayre "snavelled " all those Hitachi JFets! :p

Yes enjoy the unit it is one of the two finest Phonos ever produced commercially --the other is the Mares Connoisseur. Even today's offering are in the ballpark but not superior

In my book anyway.

BruceD

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
John Curl's ability to curve trace and match the Hitachi JFETs (not MOSFETs) is very rare.

Yes, John is shy yet protective, until he knows someone. He's a lot of fun, though.

Fully understand him being shy and protective - the world often mistreats great people. I am just blessed to have got one of his masterpieces

A23

Dec 30, 2018
New here...Found this forum/thread while researching the Vendetta.

I was bored today and decided to see if my Rega 3 turntable still worked after 20+ years sitting in a closet.
Dug out the SCP-2A...it has been hibernating for 20+ years as well.

After listening to digital music for so long I had forgotten how good vinyl sounds.

Hats off to John Curl. That Vendetta pre-amp has thousands and thousands of hours on it, and it still sounds marvelous.

Now if I can just figure out how to hide the dual power supplies in my console...

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
New here...Found this forum/thread while researching the Vendetta.

I was bored today and decided to see if my Rega 3 turntable still worked after 20+ years sitting in a closet.
Dug out the SCP-2A...it has been hibernating for 20+ years as well.

After listening to digital music for so long I had forgotten how good vinyl sounds.

Hats off to John Curl. That Vendetta pre-amp has thousands and thousands of hours on it, and it still sounds marvelous.

Now if I can just figure out how to hide the dual power supplies in my console...

let me get this right.
you had an scp2a with a Rega planer 3 - no dissing the rp3 - I had one - all the same...
What cartridge are you using?
Why the devil did you have such a fine set up hibernating for so long - you must have a serious digital rig.
Can I just advice you to get the electrolytic replaced. The chap I bought my scp2a of had it working fine, but thee air delivery changed the pressure in the electrolytic (honest - no kidding) and it badly damaged my amp by blowing out a channel.
John Curl recommended new low noise IC's - I got this done at the same time as the electrolytic capacitors. By my reckoning it may have an even better SN ratio than original.

A23

Dec 30, 2018
let me get this right.
you had an scp2a with a Rega planer 3 - no dissing the rp3 - I had one - all the same...
What cartridge are you using?
Why the devil did you have such a fine set up hibernating for so long - you must have a serious digital rig.
Can I just advice you to get the electrolytic replaced. The chap I bought my scp2a of had it working fine, but thee air delivery changed the pressure in the electrolytic (honest - no kidding) and it badly damaged my amp by blowing out a channel.
John Curl recommended new low noise IC's - I got this done at the same time as the electrolytic capacitors. By my reckoning it may have an even better SN ratio than original.

I've recently got bit by the hi-fi bug (again)...so I've been piecing together a system on a budget.

The Rega and the Vendetta were left over from my previous foray into the hobby. The Rega has a Micro Benz 3 m/c cartridge mounted presently...though I found a few others stored away I want to try once I get the table set up proper.

I did notice that the Vendetta does have some noise when I increase the gain. I still need to ground the turntable properly, but it may indeed be what you say concerning the caps. We'll see. I recall that the Vendetta used to be dead quiet...and I mean really dead quiet. I need to research what I can do to bring it up to spec

I've been cautious in buying gear...partly because I'm unfamiliar with the products currently on the market, and partly because I'm cheap. The only new purchases have been a pair of KEF Q350's and a Schiit Valhalla headphone amp. I use the Valhalla to add some gain (oomph) to the rig. I have a few pre-amps & amps tucked away, but I'm using an (old) Mod Squad Deluxe Line Drive feeding an (old) Musical Fidelity AC3 amp.

I've got a ways to go in setting up this gear. I'm trying to keep it simple...but I've been looking at different/better turntables and sussing out what I need for digital playback. A new DAC & server is on my list.

Anyway, my point was that even with the crummy 'table and the old phono pre, the sound of vinyl had a quality that I don't hear with the cd's and streaming audio I've been listening to. Maybe I need to get out more. Maybe I need to read up on the current stuff.

Cheers.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
I did notice that the Vendetta does have some noise when I increase the gain. I still need to ground the turntable properly, but it may indeed be what you say concerning the caps. We'll see. I recall that the Vendetta used to be dead quiet...and I mean really dead quiet. I need to research what I can do to bring it up to spec
The Vendetta is dead quiet. -85 dB S/N unweighted. If you're getting any noise there's something wrong.

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
I heard noise before the electrolytic went. Please please please recap the scp2a - it is a no brainer - I wish someone told me to do it

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i once had the CTC Blowtorch preamp (which included a version of Curl's Vendetta phono circuit) in my system for a couple of days. the dear departed Bob Crump (the second 'C' in 'CTC', the first 'C' being 'Curl' ) was visiting me back in the early 2000's and dropped it off for me to try in my system. at that time my phono stage reference was the Lamm LP2 phono, and i was using the Placette RVC (remote volume control) as my passive preamp.

i preferred the CTC Blowtorch to my set-up in some ways, and preferred mine in other ways. the Blowtorch had a very low noise floor and was very dynamic. liked the refinement and naturalness of my set up better.......but mine was very close on noise and somewhat close on dynamics. so i did not pull the trigger on the 'much more expensive' ($15k as i recall)) Blowtorch.

Crump was one of a kind and i miss him. liked the Blowtorch plenty.

was what i heard from the Blowtorch competitive with my original dart preamp and it's phono stage?

never did a direct comparison. if i had to guess, i think i would prefer the dart pre and it's battery powered ultra low noise and great dynamics along with a less solid state signature and superior refinement. and since then, the original dart pre phono circuit had 6 separate upgrades, and then the new dart preamp took another big step forward.

the dart pre and dart amp unique synergy do provide an advantage to the dart pre in my system.

Last edited:
Reactions: dan31

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing